Is there a way to lift a card from a card spring?

Sep 9, 2017
I was wondering about this, I googled it but I couldn't find it. Maybe there are secret methods?
I'm still learning how to float through these waters in regards to secrecy and asking about certain things.

But if anyone could say yes or no maybe?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Could you explain in more detail?

Do you mean that while springing cards you grab a single card?

Sep 9, 2017
Yeah while springing the cards. but you can't like "grab" it because both your hands are clearly occupied. So it could only be a sleight during the spring then, if that's the correct term . And I'm not talking about a sleight before or after.

Jun 1, 2009
To my knowledge there's really nothing like that, since like you said both of your hands are occupied. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

There are cool things you can do with a friend though, where they grab a card out of the spring legitimately, or they have a card palmed and "grab" it from the spring.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Jacob's Idea of using a friend or another magician are spot on.

The Royal Road has a trick where you spring the cards upwards with one hand, have another palmed in the other, and produce it from the spring. It looks like you grab it from the air, though the cards will always end up on the floor.

Also, there is something similar I saw in Simon Black's (and Shin Lim's) "Project S" Trailer.

Reactions: RealityOne
Sep 9, 2017
That project S trailer indeed had something interesting though it was fairly easy to spot. If you know how a sleight like that works it shouldn't be to hard. I just haven't learned how to change cards like that. But at least someone made an effort there to do something else with the spring besides just springing.

I'm going to keep my eyes open but this is good to know. I would not want to use another magician though there's nothing magic about that. Though it can look cool it's not the way I would like it seen done.

Thanks for the replies so far. Maybe someone else does know a way still ? I wouldn't need to know it it's all about knowing if it's possible and if someone has already figured it out :p

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I do something similar, but it's a fairly basic move. Essentially just springing the cards from one hand to the other and the selected card is grabbed, lifted and flipped on the top of the pack. It can be fairly astonishing to the spectator depending on how fast it's done because it can appear to be slipped out of the deck because of the movement

Sep 9, 2017
I do something similar, but it's a fairly basic move. Essentially just springing the cards from one hand to the other and the selected card is grabbed, lifted and flipped on the top of the pack. It can be fairly astonishing to the spectator depending on how fast it's done because it can appear to be slipped out of the deck because of the movement

Do you happen to have a name/creator for this move?

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Do you happen to have a name/creator for this move?
Neither. It may exist but I actually started doing it by accident and then realized it could be useful. It can be used to seemingly pull their selected card from the deck and make it instantly appear face up. It can also be used as a pretty visual color change with some practice. It's an easy move to do accidentally but not so simple to do intentionally without practice.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
So Shin Lim has a version called Shin Nag, he springs the cards onto the table, or into the air and catches the selection while they are sprung. He can do this with a four of a kind as well. It's a tough move to get down.

Ben Seidman has a version where he springs cards into the audience and catches the selection from the middle. He presents it as a type of card sword effect with out the sword.

Mark Calabrese has a version done from a dribble on the table. It's very difficult to do.

Lennart Green reaches in during a dribble and pulls out the four aces, a royal flush or even the selected card.

Dan and Dave have a similar effect that happens almost in reverse. The selection is placed on the table and 2 jokers are placed in the deck next to each other. You then spring the cards across the table and catch the selection in between the jokers. This is a fairly easy but extremely impressive version.

My favorite of this type of effect is Capsoul by the incredibly talented Deepuck M'shra. You spring the cards into the air and catch their selection with the hat you are wearing. Great trick!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Oh, I almost forgot about Clench by Calen Morelli. You "spring" the cards (actually you perform the under pressure flourish) and you catch the chosen card with your teeth. Super fun!

Neither. It may exist but I actually started doing it by accident and then realized it could be useful. It can be used to seemingly pull their selected card from the deck and make it instantly appear face up. It can also be used as a pretty visual color change with some practice. It's an easy move to do accidentally but not so simple to do intentionally without practice.

There is a color change that was published in M. U. M. in the 60's (? not too sure on the exact date) that has you openly out jog a face-up card from a deck while you spring. The card changes instantly and may end up on top of the pack, or with practice will change and remain out jogged in place. It sounds like it could be similar to what you are talking about. I could never get it yo work correctly because I rarely spring the cards with my fingers on the ends. Usually, I hold the corners and it means you have to out jog the card in a funky angle.

Reactions: DisasterTheory
Sep 9, 2017
So Shin Lim has a version called Shin Nag, he springs the cards onto the table, or into the air and catches the selection while they are sprung. He can do this with a four of a kind as well. It's a tough move to get down.

Ben Seidman has a version where he springs cards into the audience and catches the selection from the middle. He presents it as a type of card sword effect with out the sword.

Mark Calabrese has a version done from a dribble on the table. It's very difficult to do.

Lennart Green reaches in during a dribble and pulls out the four aces, a royal flush or even the selected card.

Dan and Dave have a similar effect that happens almost in reverse. The selection is placed on the table and 2 jokers are placed in the deck next to each other. You then spring the cards across the table and catch the selection in between the jokers. This is a fairly easy but extremely impressive version.

My favorite of this type of effect is Capsoul by the incredibly talented Deepuck M'shra. You spring the cards into the air and catch their selection with the hat you are wearing. Great trick!

That's a lot of suggestions thanks! I'm going to look through them.

Hmm yeah I see the Shin Lim one indeed.
I found the Dan & Dave execution that is also kinda interesting but it seems like a trick deck?
The clench indeed is quite cool but also not what I was looking for.
Could not find a performance of the Mark Calabrese dribble, not one that I could determine was about that trick if it was then it's a trick deck which i'm not looking for. Also could not find the Lennart Green performance of this trick.

I've checked them all out as far as I could find them. I've yet to see the method I'm trying come by. This could mean it's impossible to to properly or something else. It would seem more logical that someone already tried this and could not get it to work properly and I'm just wasting my time learning my own method.

The way i'm thinking about it is with any deck without any trick cards. But then in order to retrieve a card that someone picked I might need a trick card anyways. Because I haven't been able to figure out how to locate a persons card without tricking the deck. But I'm a noob so there might a way.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Prime Shadow Spring allows you to place a card into any location during a spring.

Grab by Mark Calabrese is grabbing a card out of a dribble onto the table.

Sep 27, 2017
Deciet by Side T has a method for grabbing a card from the deck while being dribbled onto the table. Not quite a doing but it looks sick in the trailer

Sep 9, 2017
Prime Shadow Spring allows you to place a card into any location during a spring.

Grab by Mark Calabrese is grabbing a card out of a dribble onto the table.
Hmm the prime shadow spring its probably not too hard to figure out ? if you have knowledge? which I don't. It would be interesting to purchase this trick to see what he's doing so I can compare :p But I mean I haven't really learned any color changes yet and don't exactly know the ways yet (still need to get to that) So maybe his way is an existing one combined with the spring. He's clearly doing something different from me. But it looks very smooth

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You should always purchase the product. If you don't, you're stealing someone's work without compensating them and that's just rude. It also gives these creators no motivation to release anything in the future.

Sep 9, 2017
Yeah I would expect the same from others I would not want people to steal my tricks either there has to be trust of course. But if they can figure it out from watching you do it or something then you can't blame them right? I mean you could still purchase it to support them but an experienced magician could possibly figure out the method from just seeing it done.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Did you have the idea yourself? No. Therefore, if you see someone do something and you figure it out, and then you use it, you're stealing their idea. You're copying them, freeloading on their creativity.

That's lame.

If you purchase the product not only do you usually get insight into the possible pitfalls and hang ups from the creator, you also get the performance rights to do that trick or routine or whatever.

If you independently create the same thing as other people, without ever seeing the other person do it, feel free to do that routine. I've done that before - I accidentally created a routine almost identical to one by Luke Jermay. I contacted him and he gave me his blessing to perform in the US as much as I like but not in the UK, where he is based.

I have purchased many products that I already knew how it was done, because I hadn't had the idea before I saw that product demonstrated or performed. It's just showing respect to the creator to compensate them for helping you.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I found the Dan & Dave execution that is also kinda interesting but it seems like a trick deck?

Nope, Dan and Dave don't really use gimmicks all too often and they do not use it in either of their versions. They could come over to your house and perform the trick with your deck.

Could not find a performance of the Mark Calabrese dribble, not one that I could determine was about that trick if it was then it's a trick deck which i'm not looking for.

Christopher posted the title. It's called grab, it isn't a trick deck but it does use a gimmick.

Also could not find the Lennart Green performance of this trick.

It is at 9:15

The way i'm thinking about it is with any deck without any trick cards. But then in order to retrieve a card that someone picked I might need a trick card anyways. Because I haven't been able to figure out how to locate a persons card without tricking the deck. But I'm a noob so there might a way.

Okay, you need a little bit of a foundation in card magic before you can get going too far. I'd check out Royal Road to Card Magic or Card College for how to locate a card in a shuffled, ungimmicked deck.

Most of the versions mentioned use an ungimmicked deck.

I mean you could still purchase it to support them but an experienced magician could possibly figure out the method from just seeing it done.

An experienced magician would still purchase the trick :) I purchase tricks I know how to do all the time. You are buying the moral rights to perform the trick as well as the secret.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Overall, I'm still confused by your description of the trick.

You want to spring a deck of cards from hand to hand, and somewhere in the middle reach in and pull out the selected card, without dropping the cards? Is this right? If it is, understand that if you are springing the cards from hand to hand, you can't sprout a third hand to catch the selected card. Because of this, you have to spring the cards into the air or onto a surface.

My second question for clarification is this. Have you already created a trick? Are you just trying to describe a trick you do or are you trying to describe a trick you want to do in the future?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results