Some Thoughts On Magic Theory

Your demonstrations were rather similar. It's not just the presentation of the climax that will receive a stronger reaction. You must present the ENTIRE effect as a whole to receive strong reactions.

I didn't really understand your analogy though. Are you saying you cry like a baby when your audience doesn't react? Seriously, I'm not trying to be mean, but that's what I understood from the analogy.

Mitchell

Wow...

First of all, you REALLY HAVE TO STOP BEING JAY SANKEY. I know you love him and all, but you cant be him. the tone, the jokes, the articulation, its not you, We've met.

second, thanks for spitting out sections from Strong Magic and other sources.

Lastly, were are all aspiring magicians. YOU are too. dont talk down to us, you are one of us.

Nov 1, 2007
Wow...

First of all, you REALLY HAVE TO STOP BEING JAY SANKEY. I know you love him and all, but you cant be him. the tone, the jokes, the articulation, its not you, We've met.

second, thanks for spitting out sections from Strong Magic and other sources.

Lastly, were are all aspiring magicians. YOU are too. dont talk down to us, you are one of us.

I didn't find him condescending either. Nor do I get the Sankey comment, unless you're referring to something besides this video.

Your own tone and reaction can help, but there's more to it than that. Your presentation overall, and general charisma and presence help with the effect.

Plus, obviously, the effect itself needs to be impressive. The trick sets the foundation of reaction (for example, people will think an Invisible Deck is kinda cool regardless), and your presentation frames it (mentalism: I predicted which card you'd pick. magic: Even though you held the deck, one card flipped over) and adds drama (Is there anyway I could know what card you're thinking of? Have I touched the deck at all?). All together, this makes the effect jump from cool to amazing.

You should demonstrate getting different reactions via video, Michael. :D

D

Deleted member 2755

My thoughts on the subject of Meriting Audience Reaction. I would love to hear yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1MWKEs90aE

I do have to agree with everyone else here, my first thought while watching this video was "Jay Sankey...." I don't know if that is your real personality or not, if it is, I apologize and you have a very artistic personality. If not, STOP BEING JAY SANKEY!!!

Also, your advice was good, but it sounds pretty much like everything else everyone has already been saying. I also have to agree that it sounds like you are talking down to everyone watching the video like you are above us all. From now one when you make a video, just watch the words you use.:cool:

Overall, good job. Just stop being Jay Sankey (unless that is really your personality =P) Try not to make it sound like you talk down to us. Oh, by the way I love your Paper Engine performances. Your performances on youtube helped me want to buy the book. Hopefully it comes in for me on Monday. :)

Sep 1, 2007
Hong Kong
I don't get why everyone here is giving mike kras **** for posting the video, and referring him as a Sankey-wannabe.
Is it because he uses satire on magicians? (Glenners does it all the time)

I think you guys take it way too serious by judging Mike's personality.
(There's 6 billion ppl in earth, are there 6 billion personalities?)

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com

Isn't he like, fifteen?

Because for a guy in his early teens, this is a reasonable video. It's not brilliant, but it's not stupid either - and it's more on the upper end of the intelligence scale.

It does seem like he's acting - as if he wants to display a public image into which he hasn't quite settled yet. But at fifteen, this is normal. You're supposed to still be figuring out who you are and how you present yourself. Especially if you're a performer. Criticising him for that is like criticising him for not having a mustache.

D

Deleted member 2755

I don't get why everyone here is giving mike kras **** for posting the video, and referring him as a Sankey-wannabe.
Is it because he uses satire on magicians? (Glenners does it all the time)

(There's 6 billion ppl in earth, are there 6 billion personalities?)

Well everyone is a little different.:rolleyes: Jokes aside, we are all saying this because he does sound a lot like Sankey, but I did apologize in my post if that was his personality, because it is a possibility.

-Doug

Aug 31, 2007
California
Mike,

I am going to ignore saying anything about the Sankey comments, because, I could really care less.

But about what you said...

Have you actually tested anything that you have said?

I'm guessing not, because I would have to disagree. Yes, the audience will react differently if you use a different tone and such. But look at Blaine. He performs an effect, doesn't use a different tone, doesn't react at all, yet he gets these huge reactions.

I want you to perform an effect, and use your methodology and react with the audience. Than perform the same effect on a different audience, but don't react with them. Step back and watch them react. Don't say a word for a few minutes.

Now, depending on what effect you are performing and how you perform the effect, you will find that the latter is usually what works best.

I don't quite understand your analogy. When a child falls, they will most likely cry. No matter what. Whether the parents react or not. I don't know how much you have been around kids, but with a 1 year old cousin that I baby sit almost every day, you realize they cry no matter what.

Hm.

Keenan

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
I stand by what I said. It is frequently the case for me. If I perform a stunning climax to an effect and keep it really dull with patter, little reaction occurs. However, if built up, reactions drastically increase. I actually experiment with this on a daily basis.

By the way, to those who called me a Jay Junior of sorts.... True, my performance style is very much a Sankey influenced persona, but hey, I'm probably only 1 out of thousands who act the same way while performing or living life in general.

Jan 17, 2008
Sask, Canada
Don't let anything here get you down kid. When I was young I had a few people I tried to emulate as well. You're still young with plenty left to learn, but you're obviously doing the learning part. It's good to see that you are educating yourself with magic theory. I could of taken offense with how you spoke, but I rather choose to see it as confidence and belief in what you were saying. Your camera man on the other hand...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
Michael,

you said that you can make weak effects into a strong one by your tone of voice or level of voice. So I assume by that you mean by changing your presentation because it is how you are presenting the effect. I am going to have to disagree with you because if you have a crappy effect it's still a weak effect. It doesn't matter if you or I, or Lee Asher or Aaron Fisher performs it. It is still going to be a weak effect because of the construction, design and the outcome of the effect.

The saying "There is no such thing as a bad effect, just bad magicians" is complete bull.

You could maybe get more of a reaction by changing your performance from a weak effect but it still remains a weak effect. It's like you are at a restaurant and I bring you out an uncooked turkey sandwich. That's a bad meal. But if I bring you out uncooked turkey with gravy, it's still a bad meal.

For those reading this, these words are my opinion. I am not claiming to know everything. Thoughts?

Keith

A couple of things I thought about your video. First I didn't feel like you were really talking down to anybody just expressing your opinion about what you've learned as of performance up to date. Nothing wrong with having an opinion we all have them. Second, I believe most magicians are acting like someone else (Houdini, Angel, Blaine, etc;). It's their influence bleeding through magicians performances. Third, Yes building a climax and a story as a whole and ending it with more energy and a quick note telling the audience without actually saying it that the trick is over creates a better reaction from your audience. The last thing that has me bugging is you say these things but in the revealing of the spectators card in your "A star is born", performance your monotone reaction that was comparably the same as your story telling and seemed to contradict with what your saying here. I would re-check your performances and apply those techniques your describing. Some of my thoughts and opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MRTbcWgULA&feature=related
The "A Star is Born", performance link.

Shane.

Sep 2, 2007
Michael,

in watching "A Star is Born" when you reveal their card, why don't you do the second reaction in your original video from this thread? It's something amazing! There card shoots out of the deck! How is that not amazing?

Maybe because YOU know that what you are about to show them next is more amazing. The thing is they don't know that the other cards righted themselves in the deck. To them all they know as far as effect goes is that their card shot out of the deck. So build that, make that your climax because it is one. The secondary climax comes right after, again which they don't know is coming, so when you do reveal that and have the same presentation you did in the video it's the extra kick in the teeth.

Keith

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
in watching "A Star is Born" when you reveal their card, why don't you do the second reaction in your original video from this thread?

Maybe because he feels stupid?

It's different performing for magicians. When you perform for a crowd of laymen, you can act like something's amazing, and they help by actually being amazed. It's a little awkward when you try to act amazed for a crowd of magicians who watched your performance thinking "run four, injog, shuffle off, undercut, I'll bet those top cards are the four aces". They're in on it. The whole dynamic is different.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results