Cerca Trova

I agree that other sites shouldn't be bashed, and I hate reading it when it happens, can't wait to read some of the philosophy that'll be posted over there.

Hey guys: I just received a great PM regarding Cerca Trova & I have a question for you. Do you guys think that meeting once a week would be too much? I've had a few different people voice their concern that meeting that regularly will result in us running out of topics relatively soon. The theory would be that if we met once a month - maybe the first Sunday of every month, people would have more time to get their thoughts together before posting & that would result in a more productive & beneficial discussion. What do you think?

I agree, that could work better...

waynehouchin

theory11 artist
Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chico, CA
www.waynehouchin.com
Trevor - I wasn't familiar with Midnight Sessions, so I just went over & took a look at it, & from what I can tell, it looks like it is some kind of exclusive forum that is only open to certain people. I'm not sure what the purpose or goal of their forum is, but ours is to allow anyone who wants to participate some time to prepare & then discuss some serious issues within our art.

If the Midnight Sessions is the same... Great! I think that the more we can come together & engage in a serious discussion, the more we can begin to move our art forward & start to solve some of the problems that plague us.

Either way, back to the question at hand: Would meeting once a month be a better idea than meeting every week?

S

sidrohc

Every 2 weeks?

I think every 2 weeks would be best. Every month seems too long and every week seems too short. 2 weeks seems the best for me.:cool:

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Trevor - I wasn't familiar with Midnight Sessions, so I just went over & took a look at it, & from what I can tell, it looks like it is some kind of exclusive forum that is only open to certain people. I'm not sure what the purpose or goal of their forum is, but ours is to allow anyone who wants to participate some time to prepare & then discuss some serious issues within our art.

If the Midnight Sessions is the same... Great! I think that the more we can come together & engage in a serious discussion, the more we can begin to move our art forward & start to solve some of the problems that plague us.

Either way, back to the question at hand: Would meeting once a month be a better idea than meeting every week?

Not to throw a wrench into the works here but how about bi-monthly. 7 days isn't enough time to really get into a deep discussion or for everyone to participate. A month might be too long and the discussion could get stale. I think 14 days should be enough time to discuss a topic and move on to the next conversation.

The first topic you picked is probably something we can all discuss until the cows come home. I am curious to see how constructive and productive the discussions will be at this point.

--Jim

Aug 31, 2007
I think every 2 weeks would be best. Every month seems too long and every week seems too short. 2 weeks seems the best for me.

lol you stole the words rite outta my mouth. yeah every 2 weeks sounds the best. If it was one month people would get lazy, forget about it, not do their hmwk etc. etc. 1 week seems too short.

Sep 1, 2007
Worcester, UK
Please Don't keep comparing things to 'E',

I don't think some of you understand that E are just after your money and do not want you to progress in magic, that way you will buy more crap of their site.

Just please don't compare Everything on Theory11 to 'E'.

Aug 31, 2007
Please Don't keep comparing things to 'E',

I don't think some of you understand that E are just after your money and do not want you to progress in magic, that way you will buy more crap of their site.

Just please don't compare Everything on Theory11 to 'E'.

That's a little bit harsh there buddy. Where's your proof that E's only motive is money? I've been done business with them for a while and they've always given me excellent support.

Sep 1, 2007
Ceres, Ca.
Hey guys: I just received a great PM regarding Cerca Trova & I have a question for you. Do you guys think that meeting once a week would be too much? I've had a few different people voice their concern that meeting that regularly will result in us running out of topics relatively soon. The theory would be that if we met once a month - maybe the first Sunday of every month, people would have more time to get their thoughts together before posting & that would result in a more productive & beneficial discussion. What do you think?

Why not "meet" every Sunday with the same topic for a month? Do you think a discussion will conclude after one day's discussion? Is there really a disparity of topics in magic to the extent you feel we'd exhaust the pool of topics "relatively soon"? Or did you just realize the scope of the commitment you made by saying you'd host this discussion EVERY Sunday. There's no shame in admitting that ambition can blur reality.

An interesting aside: "Cerca Trova" was written on a green battle flag in Da Vinci's "Battle of Anghiari" (considered by those smarter than me to be his finest painting) touching off the Da Vinci code phenomonem.

Dave

waynehouchin

theory11 artist
Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chico, CA
www.waynehouchin.com
Not to throw a wrench into the works here but how about bimonthly. 7 days isn't enough time to really get into a deep discussion or for everyone to participate. A month might be too long and the discussion could get stale. I think 14 days should be enough time to discuss a topic and move on to the next conversation.

The first topic you picked is probably something we can all discuss until the cows come home. I am curious to see how constructive and productive the discussions will be at this point.

--Jim

Ahhhhh... the wrench has been thrown :) Good suggestion. I should clarify though - As it is set up right now, the particular thread will only be OPEN for that one day. The idea is that:

>A topic is listed
>Everyone has a few weeks to think about this topic
>On a specific day, a thread will be opened & we shall all discuss the topic for that 24 hour period.
>After the 24 hours has passed, the thread will be closed, a new topic listed & the cycle repeats.

I completely agree with you about the conversations getting stale - that's why the discussion will only last for 24 hours or so. I don't want them to end up running in circles.

After a few months we will be on our way to building a pretty darn impressive archive of discussions with (hopefully) no fluff or filler. We'll all be able to go back to the threads & re-read the discussion.

I'm fine with a biweekly thing - unless anybody has any objections, we'll try that. If it turns out that we need more or less time, we can always change it later. Thanks for your input!

Dave,

I'm sure they could handle it every Sunday. In fact, I'm the one that PM'd Wayne and Jon and gave my $0.02...

I think that every 2 weeks would be good. Either that, or just monthly. Personally, every week wouldn't be that productive, because as soon as they announced the next topic, people would immediately change thier mindset, and forget about the current topic.

Best.
Steve

EDIT: Wayne beat me to it...LOL! :D

waynehouchin

theory11 artist
Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chico, CA
www.waynehouchin.com
Why not "meet" every Sunday with the same topic for a month? Do you think a discussion will conclude after one day's discussion? Is there really a disparity of topics in magic to the extent you feel we'd exhaust the pool of topics "relatively soon"? Or did you just realize the scope of the commitment you made by saying you'd host this discussion EVERY Sunday. There's no shame in admitting that ambition can blur reality.

An interesting aside: "Cerca Trova" was written on a green battle flag in Da Vinci's "Battle of Anghiari" (considered by those smarter than me to be his finest painting) touching off the Da Vinci code phenomonem.

Dave

Dave: Welcome! That is a very interesting idea as well. Leaving it open all month. Doing that however, I am concerened that the conversation may quickly become unproductive & repetitive... What do you guys think?

Sounds like a plan. The kids go to bed at 7. So figure round 7:30 ish. No smoking indoors. The wife will get upset. BYOB - See you guys promptly at my place Sunday night.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results