Fiber Optics

Sep 1, 2007
Most of it was pretty nice - I'm not a big fan of all the very similar phases, I'd trim it down a little bit but that's just me.

All that aside, the "ends sliding down the rope" bit looked awful - mostly because its just a bad phase, but also because your ropes didn't seem to be up to the job.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I'm sorry to say but I found it to be rather annoying, actually..

The trick in itself is good, you did the mechanics good.. but the presentation almost made me cry.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Most of it was pretty nice - I'm not a big fan of all the very similar phases, I'd trim it down a little bit but that's just me.

All that aside, the "ends sliding down the rope" bit looked awful - mostly because its just a bad phase, but also because your ropes didn't seem to be up to the job.

Agreed, it did not look great in the video... if you look closely, my ropes are OLLLLDDD... which is why I recently ordered some brand new rope.

Also, I agree about the opening presentation. Sometimes the dirty portion of my mind overpowers me.

Sep 1, 2007
No, not "not great". Flat out dire. Horrible! Especially compared to the rest of it. Even when Sanders does it, it looks bad. Even with super special greased up ropes of perfect frictionlessness, it'll look...bad.

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I agree with everything said. Your performance was top notch, but the way you presented it was horrible. Your jokes in the beginning almost made me cry. And no, not with joy.

Just work out a better patter, so that the performance doesn't seem so forced.

David

Oct 17, 2007
I also have a 3 ropes and a baby routine from Fiber Optics. I want to show you this, because this is a routine in Fiber Optics! But the presentation, I will admit, isn't good at all. I've been working on it since, but haven't made another video on it yet. Tell me what you think. (Presentation needs help, just to let you know)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WWMncSrMJck

Dec 28, 2007
Its not bad and generaly handled well.
The only crits i would make are dont do the big dick joke for a lay audience. Some people might find it funny but those who dont could be insulted.

Try to have some "why" to the routine. Dont just keep saying "let me show you". It starts to get repetitive. Try doing the routine a few times without saying anything. see where it goes and what it looks like to you so it has a point to it.
If you look at something like ring leader by Greg Wilson he does a thing about security cord. If he just said the ring keeps comming on and off all the time it wouldnt be as good. You need to have a theme. This just took me 20 minutes to think of the word ;-) !!!!
See how you get on. I just ordered fibre optics so i will have to see what i can do.
Good work
G

Yes, the sexual jokes are terrible. Not even somewhat funny. Perhaps they can be used by another performer, but not you. You just don't have the charisma to pull them off successfully.

And lose the magic voice. Practice using your regular voice, because i cringed through the whole video.

-Steve

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I agree with what people are saying about the dick jokes. I was actually sitting on the bus before and this performance came into my head and I just thought "He's too young to be able to get away with it!"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results