Criss Angel To Win "Magician of the Decade"?

Aug 31, 2007
I'm not an Angel fan, but I would like to have a look at some solid evidence that Criss Angel does use camera tricks to achieve those effects on TV.

- harapan. magic!

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
I'm not an Angel fan, but I would like to have a look at some solid evidence that Criss Angel does use camera tricks to achieve those effects on TV.

- harapan. magic!

ah just watch any given episode from season 2 and 3. The first season was ok.. some stooges but ok. We all use them now and again.. the other 2 seasons, garbage. I've seen better video editing on Ratchet and Clank commercials.

BTW, not shooting the messenger!

Ok so maybe he 'deserves' to be M.O.D. to lay people but I ask, "who decides this?" is it a vote? or does a tribunal of secret members decide?

As said before.. ill-gotten

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
he is a stage magician
for them its 'ANYTHING goes' when it comes to achieve an effect
im pretty sure i saw him do a trick where he is shown at the very end of a hallway and then a blink later he walks out of the nearby door (or something like that)
you cant tell me he doesnt use editing

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
i was at work a few days ago
it was a few minutes before close, no customers
so i was doing a few simple magic tricks, coin bite etc

1 of my managers started talking to me, said he loves watching david blaine videos on youtube, as well as other magic videos

then hes like "you know that criss angel guy, does anybody believe what he does is real?"
commenting on the levitations, floating and everything else is literally impossible

so even laymen know hes full of bs

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall

- harapan. magic!

youtube it..

theres tons of videos debunking his tricks

the most famous one being his loating from 1 building to another
where you can see it was different shots taken, from different times of the day (sun being high in the sky, then really low, then really high again)

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
Criss does edit clips, he removes many "unneccessary" parts of his performances, like parts of patter etc. I also believe that he uses camera-angle dependent things, but there is nothing wrong in that. I watched that levitation clip again, and I didn't notice anything strange on the sun. Banachek was lecturing here in Finland last year, and he told us, that camera editing or stooges weren't used as methods.

The only thing i like criss for is that he made ppl interested in magic. the thing i hate that he did is over did all his stuff so like everyone is like oo do that criss did it, and you cant cause u dont have a camera crew and actors. and its cause the ppl who r giving it to him just do it for popularity, they dont really have anything good with magic. itslike the brotherhood of magic or somethin. nothing good wit them.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
i was at work a few days ago
it was a few minutes before close, no customers
so i was doing a few simple magic tricks, coin bite etc

1 of my managers started talking to me, said he loves watching david blaine videos on youtube, as well as other magic videos

then hes like "you know that criss angel guy, does anybody believe what he does is real?"
commenting on the levitations, floating and everything else is literally impossible

so even laymen know hes full of bs

most magicians have an air about them that puts people in a different state of mind
one where the impossible is possible in the hands of a magician
but criss angel thinks he is a demon
and his presentation is always centered around him being special
about him being magical and awesome
so people either get annoyed at his smugness
or wonder weather he himself really is a mage
normal magicians presentation isnt as self centered
so people tend to think magic is just happening
and that some objects are magical
also on tv it looks like most of his stuff is impromptu
so it leads people to believe that he is naturally magical
since he can do magic with anything
but in reality everything is carefully set up and rigorously rehearsed

from what i gather about what the guy said to you he was leaning towards believing what criss angel does is real
he just wanted to see weather a magician thinks the same

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
those videos are kind of stupid
a lot of the points they make can be discredited
i still think he uses editing and/or actors for at least some of his effects

Dec 13, 2007
i have a quick question... has David Blaine ever won magician of the year?

I personally don't think criss deserves magician of the year. Its kind of sad because he does have some great effects that probably don't use stooges or camera tricks. However, they are overshadowed by the ones that probably do.

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
those videos are kind of stupid
a lot of the points they make can be discredited
i still think he uses editing and/or actors for at least some of his effects

assuming your replying to my post, i must ask...

Edit by Moderator: Please refrain from attacking other members. Thanks.

you say the points can be discreted and that the videos are stupid

yet the next line you say "i think he edits videos"

THATS WHAT THE VIDEOS ARE SAYING

Last edited by a moderator:

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
assuming your replying to my post, i must ask...

Edit by Moderator: Please refrain from attacking other members. Thanks.

you say the points can be discreted and that the videos are stupid

yet the next line you say "i think he edits videos"

THATS WHAT THE VIDEOS ARE SAYING

how do you not see logic in what i said
i am sure that criss uses edits in some of his tricks
but some of the videos that 'expose' his magic like to use things
which they think are facts but arent
to pad their arguments
some things they spot are definitely signs of edits
but a lot arent

Ok, I haven't had much time to tell you guys what I think about this, but I have time now, so here I go.

Sure, Criss may deserve the award, but you have to think: does anybody deserve it more than him? In my opinion, yes. I can think of four or five magicians that, in my opinion, deserve the awards more than him. I think he may deserve Magician of the Year, but Magician of the Decade? Hardly. I also think that the people who gave out the award should have at least waited until the decade was over! Not many people even knew who Criss Angel was until about 2005! I know I didn't. I had never even heard of him until I saw the first episode of Mindfreak. Yeah, I think Criss Angel is an awesome magician, and he's done alot of great things for the art of magic, but there are alot of other magicians out there who have done even more! You can shoot me for saying this, but I think Brad Christian deserves Magician of the Decade more than Criss does. Why? Well, let me ask a better question: Why not? He brought us Ellusionist, one of the very first online magic shops EVER. He made it easy for those of us who couldn't afford to drive 45 miles to the nearest magic shop. He made alot of stuff easy for the less fortunate magicians out there (including myself at one time).

Alot of people say "Criss deserves it because he popularized magic." Dude, believe it or not, magic was popular before Criss Angel! He "modernized" magic? No, I believe that to be Mr. Blaine.

All in all, in my opinion, the winner of the Magician of the Decade award should have been someone who gave back to the magic community. A creator. Someone who markets their own hard work for others to enjoy. Not someone who has made just 2 DVD's (one of which wasn't even his effect). Or the award should have at least been given to a better performer.

Who would have been my pick for Magician of the Decade?
David Copperfield.

If we're talking in terms of popularization and performance, Copperfield beats Angel by a longshot! Copperfield is a WAY better performer than Angel, and if anybody in the world popularized magic, it was Copperfield.

But hey, congrats to Mr. Angel! This illusion, I will never figure out.

Anthony Bass

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
I actually had the pleasure of meeting the magician that gave Criss his first magic lessons. I went to his show and in all honesty he seemed like the complete opposite of Criss. Every step of the way, what almost seemed like after every trick, he reminded the audience that magic was fake and everythng was an illusion. After the show, he was signing autographs and I introduced myself. He told me about Criss. I asked him what his opinion was of him now and he said that Criss' ego has gotten a little bigger but he is still a very good slight-of-hand magician. He also brought up a good point that Criss gets a lot of kids into magic, but to learn his stuff you can't just look on Youtube. You might actually have to go to a magic shop (imagine that) and from there the kids turn out to be a good thing for the industry, unlike the Tubeician...

Mar 26, 2008
Around
I actually had the pleasure of meeting the magician that gave Criss his first magic lessons. I went to his show and in all honesty he seemed like the complete opposite of Criss. Every step of the way, what almost seemed like after every trick, he reminded the audience that magic was fake and everythng was an illusion. After the show, he was signing autographs and I introduced myself. He told me about Criss. I asked him what his opinion was of him now and he said that Criss' ego has gotten a little bigger but he is still a very good slight-of-hand magician. He also brought up a good point that Criss gets a lot of kids into magic, but to learn his stuff you can't just look on Youtube. You might actually have to go to a magic shop (imagine that) and from there the kids turn out to be a good thing for the industry, unlike the Tubeician...

That is a ver y good point. I have found myself studying attempting to learn how to use mirrors and lighting to create Illusions, and now that I think of it some of that drive for knowledge was because of I saw what Chris had done on TV.

Good post dragon

Joe

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results