Who, What, Where, When, Why, and How?

Just transferring some articles/threads to get some discussion going here!

Hey Everyone,

Lately on the Forums, I have noticed people asking questions about how to perform, what to perform, and so on. They had an "idea", but they couldn't get it right on the money, or it wasn't within their reach yet. So what I am going to do here, is go down the list for each on of these subtopics: Who, what, where, when, why, and how. Now why would I want to do this? This is so you guys can have some thoughts on how to make your performance your own, depending on these few things. Now our first one, is Who.

Who should we perform for?

When about to perform for someone, or several people at a time, it is important to know what is about to come your way. This does tie in a bit with how to select your audience members, by their body language and other aspects of them, but it is important to know who they are in literal terms. Before you perform for them, make sure that you get to greet them, and introduce yourselves to each other. This will come in handy later, because it gives you a little preview of their personality. You can then later on take that, and adapt it to your performance to make it fit THEM. Not you, not the president, but them, and them only. Why? This is so they can relate to everything, and have a better experience. Some awful magicians have performed to me, and it didn’t fit my personality. The performance was all dark, and black magic-like, and it didn't fit me. Even when he introduced himself, I was a cheerful guy just going along with it. This is a great thing to think about, and a great thing to use in your performance.

One more thing to add to this is something to do when introducing yourself. That last thing is to ask questions. Be a friendly person, trying to get to know them better. Of course ask for their name, but other things like are you a student, or so on. They are just little questions that will also add to your patter maybe later on. Maybe they say they are a college student at Lawrence University. While performing for them later on, use that in your story line. Maybe you are performing a 2CM routine. You can mention something like..

"Now your in college right?"
"Yes"
"So in other words, you’re a pretty smart fella"

It doesn't have to be in terms of a guy either, but when you ask those questions in the beginning, you can bring them back later on. It is all apart of knowing "Who" you are going to perform for.

What should we perform?

Most of us when we perform already have an idea of what we are going to do, and/or we have a set out routine that we are going to abide by in our performance. But what you perform can also be affected by knowing "Who" they are, from your greeting, which we just talked about.

With this example, lets say that the girl you are performing for is a very jittery one. She is extremely conscientious, and is easy entertained. (This was all found out in the greeting). But the problem was, that your routine consists of...

Sandwich
ACR
Card to mouth
(This isn't a thought out routine; it is just for the example)

Now all of those effects are great, but you want to really freak her out with something. So this is where adaptation comes into play. Instead of the Sandwich effect, maybe do Stigmata. Then modify Stigmata, so once it appears on your wrist, you spread the cards out and the only one flipped over is their signed card. Then continue to do your ACR. Instead of doing a basic card to mouth, add the effect Warning with it. So when you pull the card out of your mouth, smoke comes out as well. This will possibly enhance your performance, and it will possibly give that "jittery" girl more of a shocking performance.

But remember, all of the information to modify your performance, and know "What" to perform, comes form knowing "Who" they are.

Continued...

Where do we perform?

This isn't exactly meaning to plan out the people, what to perform, and where you are going to perform. But this is actually so you know some nice places, where it is fun to perform in or at.

First, off, the streets. This is not referring to street magic however, because modern day Street Magic, can be in the mall, and other various places. But the streets, is referring to sidewalks and all. If you live in a busy town or a city, the sidewalks are always filled with people day and night. This is a great place to perform, but you must recognize that people are usually going somewhere, and have committed themselves to do so. Try to perform for people on benches, or are just going at a nice slow pace. Because when they are walking fast, they are usually in a hurry to get somewhere.

The Mall. The mall is another nice place to perform. There are always many people, and they are usually there just to chill out, and do some shopping with friends. So it in general, is a very friendly place to perform. Just to remember though, you can't always videotape there. Also when I refer to malls, I also mean in stores as well.

The Stage. This is just like Street Magic. It really depends on the person. But when I say the stage, you don't need to worry about who to perform for really, because they are there to see you, and only you. There would be no point to come otherwise.

Bars, and Pubs. I can't say too much about this, so I'll leave it for Curtis to talk about hehe. But I do know that performing for a bunch of drunken idiots can go either ways. You can either end up with your face in the concrete, or you can end up getting free drinks all night. When one is trashed, anything can happen.

Those are just a few places in general, to perform. They generally have many people, and they can be great environments if played right.

When do we perform?

Knowing when to perform can really make a difference. I'll use the "Streets" example for this. When you see people walking by, you need to know when to perform. Now how do you do this? Use your instincts! Naturally, you should already know by their actions if they want to be bothered or not, and when you should perform for them.

If they are on their cell phone, then you shouldn't go and ask to perform for them. But if they are just sitting down on a bench patiently, then it is a good time to perform. There are many things that make magic what it is, but the timing is what makes all of those things come together, and give the person that magical experience.

Why should you perform?

This one is going to have a shorter answer than an insect. So why should you or me perform? Well heck, we ARE magicians aren't we? So lets use our talent, and perform for people so both you and them can have an enjoyable time. However, don't perform when you aren't ready. It isn't healthy to be forced into something that you aren't ready for. Make sure that you take your time with magic, so that you can be the best that you can at it.

How should you perform?

Knowing how to perform is all based on your personal style. I cannot say much about this, because your character, and your performances are made so that they fit your personality, but they match up with the spectator's as well. Be yourself, and most importantly have fun in the process. Magic is an art, and like all arts, it should be spread amongst everyone else. Show people a good time with magic, and enjoy it yourself.

Now that I am done rambling, I hope this can help a few of you. This will give you an idea(s) of how to make magic your own, and how to possibly do that. One last thing to add though is to PLEASE add as much as you want to this. I want this thread to discuss all of the above statements, and add your own ideas to this. And remember, no idea is right or wrong. Magic is based on personal opinions, and it is how magic is, what it is.

Take Care,
Trevor Morgan

Sep 1, 2007
new york
i cant performed where i live to many gang bangers and so on but am going to try the mall and stuff and other streets Thanks anyways man.:cool:

i cant performed where i live to many gang bangers and so on but am going to try the mall and stuff and other streets Thanks anyways man.:cool:

Best of luck on it!

The mall is a great place to perform, but once again make sure you know who you're approaching. I've had some nasty encounters.

Trevor

Last edited by a moderator:

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
I think the Why should more apply to "Why are you doing this?"

"I can produce a dove!" Why?
"I can make make 372 cards appear at my fingertips!" Why?
"I can link these rings for 12 hours straight and never do it the same way twice" Um... why?

You get my point. Just because we are magicians doesn't mean we HAVE to do the same old stuff we have seen elsewhere. Magic is an open ended artform but people treat it like it has overly strict rules and guidelines.

Next time you come up with something ask yourself, "Does this make sense?" Not just for magic but for real life. Ask yourself would I want to watch this?

A part of magic is about asking questions.. and raising a few too.

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
Magiquette 101:

Hi, my name is Katie Egleston. I am a working performer in Las Vegas, NV. I have been around the magic community for most of my life. Seeing magicians and the way the live their life has made me want to speak up and try to “help.”

When a person takes up the art of magic, more often than not, the question of “Why?” is soon forgotten. Did you take it up as a child after seeing a certain performer? Did you take it up as a way to over come shyness or public speaking? Did you take it up to be popular with the opposite sex? Did you take it up to fill a creative outlet? There is no right or wrong reason to get into the art form. You just need check yourself and make sure YOU know why you are the performer you are.

First thing’s first. If you are a working magician and when you perform, you have a character, which is OK. ONLY when you are doing a full-blown show is it OK to pretend you are someone else.
So many of my experiences regarding magicians who want to be my friend in “real life” as opposed to “performance life” have it all wrong. When you go up to talk to someone new, whether it be a male or female, in a “real life” situation, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT go into your character.

Be true to yourself. So what if you are the funny chubby kid who sat in the back of class in high school? Use your humor to captivate an audience. You may have been the shy kid who was always a bit awkward. Use your degree of mysteriousness to be true to yourself. You may have been the popular jock, use your extroversion to your advantage.

If you want to impress the opposite sex, they would much rather see someone comfortable in themselves than seeing a fake made up character that is more fictional than a magical ninja dancing on a piece of cheese. If you aren’t true to who you are and embrace what truly makes you an individual, you may come off as sleazy, a jerk, an ass or something much worse: Just another magician trying to be cool.

I suggest practicing a more “casual” way of doing a trick. Get some of your magic buddies together and magic jam. This would probably be the safest way to be comfortable in trying to ditch your shield. Who else would be better to tell you if you’re acting like a big dork? This is where ya’ll dress in jeans and a t-shirt, play some music, have some snacks and practice NOT being someone you are not

Interesting points Katie, but I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not. If it was, then I think you took my "use your character" too literally. I almost always love to just be myself, but sometimes you DO put on a character. Not in a cheesy way, but in a way that fits your performance theme.

Maybe you are usually a casual, and relaxed person, but for Halloween you have a gig, and you want to give a mysterious/spooky type of performance. If a situation like that arouses, where you want to give a new feeling to your performance, then by all means do it...but first practice it until perfect. Not everyone's a fantastic actor, but people can just be the best that they can be.

Go ahead and put on a mask to try something new, just as long as you don't put that mask on to hide yourself.

Trevor

KatieKenner

Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
Trevor,

I know A LOT of magicians. This was not directed to anyone. This was a generalization among many of the magicians I have come across in the last few years, both novice and professional.

Different gigs do call for different measures.

Thanks,
KE

Trevor,

I know A LOT of magicians. This was not directed to anyone. This was a generalization among many of the magicians I have come across in the last few years, both novice and professional.

Different gigs do call for different measures.

Thanks,
KE

As do I.

I must agree though that this has come up a lot before, but the only real things we can tell them are to either

A. Be yourself
or
B. Practice the character more

But not only do different gigs call for different measures, but just performances in general sometimes call for different measures.

Take Care,
Trevor

KatieKenner

Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
Also, My article was for more of a "social" settiing. Not so much a particular performance. The idea to be yourself should come across when you are out to eat with friends, not hired at the restaraunt or when you are invited to a party not as the "magician."

The truth is, if you are a magician and the people around you know this about you, chances are they are going to ask you to do something. When you are asked, this is where it is imparative to be true to yourself.

Performances and gigs are a different story all together.

But there have been many a nights when a I have found myself at Mel's Diner in Hollywood after the Magic Castle has closed with a few magic friends. More often than not, someone would bust out their "character" to impress a girl at another table. The girl 100% of the time would not be impressed.

Just a side note.

Katie

Performances and gigs are a different story all together.

But there have been many a nights when a I have found myself at Mel's Diner in Hollywood after the Magic Castle has closed with a few magic friends. More often than not, someone would bust out their "character" to impress a girl at another table. The girl 100% of the time would not be impressed.

Exactly! And haha, we have a Mel's Diner in the downtown area where I live. I performed there a few good times. Great place, too bad it closes so early.

And as for the advice at the bottom, I'll keep that in mind.

great article man, nice read

Glad you liked it Avancer!

Trevor

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results