1-On-1 Review \\ OutJogged Hermann Shift

Product Description
Quite possibly the most covert card control in card magic. The Outjogged Hermann Shift allows one to seemingly place a card in the center of the deck while still having complete control over the selection. Aaron explains the shift in complete detail, covering every facet of the move. It's all here.

Total Run Time: 18 Minutes
Price: $4.95
Click Here to get to the 1-On-1 Section

Download Quality
Like all of Theory11's products, the download quality is superb. It's shot in crystal clear picture with multiple angles to see where your finger positioning should be, and what's wrong. It not only explains but shows every aspect of this useful sleight. You can't go wrong with the quality.

Explanation
The actual explanation for the Hermann shift really surprised me because it was not at all what I was thinking. Aaron does it some smoothly and invisibly I truly had no idea. Aaron explains this in detail, and when I mean in detail, you should not have issues learning. Besides finger positioning he even goes into which part of the fingers go where, and how they should look. Which is very important for making this look as natural as possible. Since this sleight is rather angle sensitive, especially if you have someone burning your hands, you must practice this until your fingers hurt. This is something that if performed perfectly looks ridiculously amazing, but if you screw up it's obvious. Use Aarons tip, such as the history of the effect and Dai Vernons quote which he says a few times, and you'll get it down. It's a very useful sleight and Aaron covers it in every aspect, it's just up to you to practice.

Applications: 96
On this download, after you learn the sleight Aaron shows you a transposition he does using it, called 96. Here is my brief description of the effect:

Turning the deck so the cards faces are towards you, take the top card, let's say the 3 of Hearts. Place the 3 of hearts facedown in the middle of the deck, and leave it outjogged so the audience can see it's position at all times. Take the second card from the top, let's say, the King of Clubs, and display it to the audience. Put it on the deck face-down, and push in the outjogged 3 of Hearts. Once all the cards are aligned turn over the top card to reveal the 3 of Hearts is now on top, and the King of Clubs is now face-down in the middle of the pack, ultimately switching places.

Hopefully my description justified the brilliance of the effect. It's very simply and uses only....well 2 sleights besides the OutJogged Hermann Shift. It's a great quick effect, much along the same lines as Subway. Now like all effects it does have angle issues, since the Hermann Shift is angle sensitive, and there is a bit of discrepancy (sp?) in the cards at the end. Aaron goes into this briefly how to make sure your audience doesn't notice, and how to end the effect with no issues. It's a great way to apply your newly learned sleight.

Overall
If your looking for a great new control, that will add to your routine through means of ACR, the effect 96 itself and countless other effects, I suggest picking this up. Although, if you are a beginner card-handler you are expected to know a fair bit before learning this since it is NOT by any means easy to master. This is best done to perfection...then again every effect is. Pick this up, learn it, master it, and you'll be well on your way to becoming a great card magician.

Questions?
Any Questions about performing, angles, difficulty, applying the technique or anything at all feel free to shoot me a pm or, reply right in this thread. Hope I can be of some assistance, if not there is many others who will be willing to help.

-Happy Holidays,
-RA69

Last edited by a moderator:
E

elliotcarver

Well I am not going to buy it because it is in The Paper Engine.
But very nice review!

Sep 1, 2007
I've purchased it and it the download timed out on me 4 times!!!

Now I've ran out of attempts...any idea if the downloads in here works with Download Accelerator Plus and Firefox?

Sep 2, 2007
I've purchased it and it the download timed out on me 4 times!!!

Now I've ran out of attempts...any idea if the downloads in here works with Download Accelerator Plus and Firefox?
The downloads work with Firefox, though I have not tried it with Download Accelerator Plus. If they're any download issues, such as running out of attempts, submit a support ticket and the support guys will help you out.

Very nice review, by the way.

Cheers,
JTM

Sep 1, 2007
I've got it reset, but still all I got downloading from the download manager is a php file. It's frustrating when things don't work the way it should...

I've got it reset, but still all I got downloading from the download manager is a php file. It's frustrating when things don't work the way it should...

I don't remember what the file was when I saved it onto my computer but, when I did save it, it wouldn't open right away.

I just went to "Open With..." and chose Quicktime and it worked fine.

-Happy Holidays,
-RA69

Sep 1, 2007
Thanks RebelAce69 for helping. But when I got that file..it was done in 3 secs. 140mb in 3 secs? I'm definitely sure that my connection doesn't run that fast. How I wish it was..but nope.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for Support to set it up for me again. Crossing my fingers

Sep 1, 2007
I would like to extend my thanks to Bryant and Jon for the patience and professionalism they had given me in assisting me to get my video asap.

Thank you very much Bryant and Jon, and also the rest of the Support Team. The video was wonderful, I appreciated it.

Merry Christmas!!

P.S. I've noticed for the outjogged shift, the body needs to be facing away from the audiences at an angle before it can be done. Am I right? Anybody who bought the move can help me out here? Thanks.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Merry Christmas!!

P.S. I've noticed for the outjogged shift, the body needs to be facing away from the audiences at an angle before it can be done. Am I right? Anybody who bought the move can help me out here? Thanks.

Merry Christmas to you too!!

From my knowledge of the move from Aaron's book, you can also perform the move with the audience staring down from the top of the deck. Any angle where the top packet is acting as cover is a decent angle I think :) (I hope this isn't exposure)

- Sean

Dec 10, 2007
hey geniver, uh yah well it doesnt really require that much of a turn, but a little bit. however, i prefer to just get close to the person i do it to. it helps if you stand close from the beginning so it doesnt look odd. also, in relation to the move, its not quite so hard as it was described. after a half hour of practice, i could do it smoothly. i wouldnt say mastered it, but smooth enough to do to anyone comfortably. very useful move by the way... however, can anyone help me out with a good bottom card to top cut or shuffle besides the overhand? thanks a lot

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results