1-on-1's for Loops

Sep 1, 2007
I'm going to join the vocal minority and support the thread starter. I guess I'm just contrary that way.

Part of my reasoning for taking this side is because I'm really starting to hate card tricks. There's nothing wrong with playing cards in magic. But it's all anyone ever wants to talk about. It's like eating nothing but bacon morning, noon, and night. Sounds great at first, but before long you start jonesing for something a little bit different, like maybe a nice Caesar salad. This is also part of the reason I don't go to forums like Decknique.

Loops? Don't think we'll be seeing a 1-on-1 about those anytime soon. Thumb tips? I'd be all for it. Buddha papers? Ambivalent, because I hesitate to see a bunch of rabble using one of my personal secret weapons. Sponges? Go for it. Borrowed objects? If you don't mind Jay Sankey sending a guy named Joe "The Cleaner" Marcone to talk to you about staying out of his territory, that would be great.

I still won't buy any of them, granted. My drive space is for work documents and video games.

Sep 1, 2007
Why do you guys need a loops 1-on-1? There are enitre dvds already dedicated to loops. There is the Ellusionist three dvd set Loops featuring Daniel Garcia, Nathan Kranzo and Justin Miller. There is also a 2 dvd set called Loops by Yigal Mesika & Finn Jon.

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
Why do you guys need a loops 1-on-1? There are enitre dvds already dedicated to loops. There is the Ellusionist three dvd set Loops featuring Daniel Garcia, Nathan Kranzo and Justin Miller. There is also a 2 dvd set called Loops by Yigal Mesika & Finn Jon.

The same reason everyone still buys card magic DVDs, even though there's plenty out there already. New stuff. A couple of DVDs alone does not equal the imagination of every magician.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Haha you guys amuse me, always with the fighting. As for the topic at hand, I have to agree with Steerpike. I think theory11 should be branching out of the normal cards, coins, and the occasional balloon a little more often. Loops are a vital part of most magicians arsenal and it would be awesome to have great yet unusual effects with loops (i.e. Life.) It's just like The Beatles coming out with Sgt. Pepper, was it wanted at the time? No. Is it awesome? Yes.

-Michael

Sep 1, 2007
Why do I get this feeling that you're really in no position to talk?

I was simply making a statement that waayyy too many of the magicians (and card jugglers) here are simply clones of other performers. It is going to benefit you a lot more to sit down and try to create you own effect.

Sep 1, 2007
I was simply making a statement that waayyy too many of the magicians (and card jugglers) here are simply clones of other performers. It is going to benefit you a lot more to sit down and try to create you own effect.

Or you could do what I do: write.

Then again, given the grasp over the English language displayed by a lot of American teenagers, it's probably for the best that we keep the pens and paper far away from them.

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
Maybe you should try exercising your own creative muscles rather than finding more material by other performers to copy.

If you're implying I do that, then I have to ask which performance of mine you've been present at to make such a claim.

And I'm not disagreeing with you, but not everyone creates in a vacuum. Few are the magicians who stand completely isolated from the magic community, never buying or learning magic made by others, who yet create a wealth of material. I'd even go so far as to say that such a position would be detrimental to your development as a creator: doing that implies that you are a master of creativity and can learn nothing from others' methods and ideas.

It's about a balance between the two. It's about the shades of gray that no one seems to realize exists on such matters.

Sep 1, 2007
Toyrobot, I was in no way implying that you do that and I apologize if it came across that way.

It was simply a general statement directed to everyone whom it may apply to.

I agree with you about it being a balance. However, I feel that, that balance is..... not very balanced. I simply feel that we all should try and take a little more time to create our own effects and own methods. It seems majority of the magicians I see are simply clones of other performers and I find that a shame.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results