3 Gigs Today - Ouch

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Well Fellas, Im one tired dude. I just returned from 3 gigs today ( 2 balloon sculpting - 4 1/2 hours total + 2 hours of strolling magic ) = 6 1/2 hours of work in 3 different locations

My feet are hurting man! Ha Ha. Wore a suit and tie all day.

Those of you who are balloon twisters know that any time you do a balloon gig that has a time limit, you might as well throw that out the window because it is a NEVER ENDING line with cranky kids demanding certain creatures that you may or may not know how to make. Today's most insane request was a "multi-color ferris wheel"...needless to say with a mile of people long I told the kids sorry that I didn't have time and he had to choose something a bit easier. Ha Ha.

Things to consider when balloon sculpting at major events:

1.) Have a small tent to work under = it sprinkled rain all day today at the balloon gigs
2.) Have a table or a roped off area that keeps the children back from you and your materials (pumps, trash bag, balloons, scissors, etc.
3.) When you see that you only have 10-15 minutes left...go hand the last kid in line a balloon and tell him that you will make him something extra special if he tells everyone who tries to get behind him that he was told he is the end of the line and that is why he is holding the big yellow balloon. (It sounds mean but it does work and stops you from staying an hour past your work time.)
4.) Some people use Menus / picture boards to speed up the line so the kids know what they can choose from.

At the magic strolling gig today I had a lot of fun! My goal today was to use effects that I have used many times before but I was going to purposely go up to people who looked like the were too "cool" for magic or audiences that looked a bit rough.

My sets included:

Set A: mismade bill, CMH followed by rubber band through a ring and Alan Wong's Star Gazer, Danny Archer's Eye Exam
packet trick
Set B: Jeff Prace's "Where Time Stands Still, Free Will, and a Peak Wallet

I didn't have to load up because I would be walking the streets where there were literally thousands of people. Probably could have used the same set the whole time and nobody would have known the difference except a few teens who followed me around.

Annoying things from today:

I hate it when someone who already saw an effect, comes up to you when you are performing for another group and yells, "Show em the one where the rubber band turns into the Star" Kinda kills the mood and then I can't perform that one.

Was asked to levitate 2X today out in the middle of the road completely surrounded on ALL sides. Um....pretty sure I couldn't pull that off.

Was handed a spectator's quarter and was told to bite a chunk off like David Blaine...needless to say I didn't have my bite out coin on me because I haven't fixed it yet. Ha Ha.

Teenage girl is in the middle of an effect and continues to try and pay attention to me and text on her phone. I thought this was just down right rude..finished the effect and walked away a bit angry. Have a little respect people. It would be different if I was some ugly dude who had never performed magic but I was doing great stuff and she could have cared less. Oh well.

Nice reactions Today:

1.) Went up to a group of Big African Americans who were probably in their 30's. Looked to be in a gang. I walked straight up to their group and asked them if they had ever seen close up magic before. Guy looks at me and says, "You mean you gonna do some David Blain ****?" I said, "Yeah...I am". He goes, "Where's your camera crew?" I just laughed it off and then proceeded to fry them with CMH, rubber band through ring (Ed Ellis's Twistration) and then Alan Wong's Star Gazer.
The one dude was filming on his cell phone and flipped out...another one started cussing profusely and took off down the side walk going nuts....It was probably the best reactions I've had yet and here I thought these guys were going to be some tough customers. I was completely wrong. Don't judge someone based on their appearance. Had I had a camera crew it would have been perfect promo real stuff.

2.) I go up to a group of about 12 teenage "goth" type kids and blew them away with Prace's "Where time stand still" and then a mismade bill. The big alpha male dude of the group was so impressed, his reactions were making the rest of kids go nuts as well. He actually hugged me (kind of awkward) and said, "Dude...I've never seen anything like this! You are insane. I love you man...
What I found great was that again, this could have been a rough crowd but because I went straight to the alpha male of the group and showed him a good time, everyone else in the group thought "magic is cool" too and it just snow balled.
I loved every minute of it.

Many people laughed, smiled, and just simply freaked out today. It really made me feel good to know that I was doing this and creating great experiences for them.

Thanks for reading all of this if you have made it this far. Next Gig = Bus Tour Gig

Nov 24, 2011
Nice man! I can't stand when people are on their cellphones! Sounds like you got some killer reactions! You also made a great point. You should never judge off of appearance. It can be a huge mistake to do this. You never know who is going to be your next employer! Thanks man for the story!

-Groveking

-Today goals are set, tommorow dreams are conquered

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Nice work man...

I think you deserve some rest...I wouldn´t be able to pull that off...I did a 2 horas gig sometime ago....needless to say..I was trashed!!!...

I have never done ballon sculpting...but It must sucks to have so demanding kids....

I also feel your pain (well...rage) people talking or texting in their cellphones...usually if I can avoid it...I just don´t perform for them, because they won´t be paying attention to you or the phone...so I pass...

It seemed you touch that guy with your magic...this make you realize the impact you make in somebodies life...

Did you take any pictures? would love to see you performning!!!

Nice reading...

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Unfortunately Luis, I didn't have anyone with me today taking pics or video. I had 3 gigs and my wife was running our garage sale and had to watch the kids. I should almost just hire an amateur photography student from a local college and pay them just a little money to meet me at gigs to take good pics.

One other thing I noticed today that blew me away....that there was a fair amount of high school aged kids who COULD NOT read an analog watch at all. On Jeff Prace's "Where Time Stands Still" the spectator reads the time off of a watch on a gift card. I would say that about 10 out of 20 had no clue what time it was. The watch doesn't have numbers on it but it does have a hash mark where every digit should be. The mark for the 12, 1, 2, 3 etc. is all there and yet these kids in their teens couldn't read an analog watch. I was floored to say the least since I am an elementary teacher and we teach that skill in 4th grade when the kids are 9.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Unfortunately Luis, I didn't have anyone with me today taking pics or video. I had 3 gigs and my wife was running our garage sale and had to watch the kids. I should almost just hire an amateur photography student from a local college and pay them just a little money to meet me at gigs to take good pics.

One other thing I noticed today that blew me away....that there was a fair amount of high school aged kids who COULD NOT read an analog watch at all. On Jeff Prace's "Where Time Stands Still" the spectator reads the time off of a watch on a gift card. I would say that about 10 out of 20 had no clue what time it was. The watch doesn't have numbers on it but it does have a hash mark where every digit should be. The mark for the 12, 1, 2, 3 etc. is all there and yet these kids in their teens couldn't read an analog watch. I was floored to say the least since I am an elementary teacher and we teach that skill in 4th grade when the kids are 9.

That does sound weird (even though I use a digital watch). It shouldn't be hard to put to look at it and see what each hash mark means.. But this could probably be because they were poorly educated or just never taught how to do so.

The girl on the cell phone thing seems like she just was dimwitted. Though this probably gave you a ton of misdirection so you could've done a move that Stevie Wonder could catch and she wouldn't have seen a thing.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
That does sound weird (even though I use a digital watch). It shouldn't be hard to put to look at it and see what each hash mark means.. But this could probably be because they were poorly educated or just never taught how to do so.

The girl on the cell phone thing seems like she just was dimwitted. Though this probably gave you a ton of misdirection so you could've done a move that Stevie Wonder could catch and she wouldn't have seen a thing.

It´s not weird..my "little" brother can´t read analog time... and he is 21...

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Nice Rick, well done. Now imagine doing all of that, every single day, for 6-8 months... welcome to the cruise ship ;)
I would never done balloon sculpting, mainly because I don't like performing for kids (well, most kids anyways), so you have my deepest respect for that :)
Now this may sound like a stereotype, but every single time I performed for African Americans I get amazing reactions, it's just the way they are I guess. Also on the other end of the scale, when ever I was performing for Russians, I get no reactions what so ever. That is why I like performing for black people, they always seem upbeat and react amazing.
Also, about the goth group, that shouldn't surprise you that much. They are already eccentric people, they like expressing themselves, so it's not that hard to get a loud amazing reaction from them, it's just who they are. Almost as easy as getting a loud reaction from drunk college guys lol
And yes, it is extremely weird that so many people cannot read analog time. You don't even need hash marks. I used to own a analog watch with no marks at all, none, and it was still easy to read it, I mean it's a watch... However, after being on a cruise ship where I've seen so many people don't know how to use/open doors (yes, freaking DOORS), I'm not surprised by anything anymore lol

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
So much for summer vacation. Sounds like an awesome, but tiring day.

Almost...ha ha. I have one week of summer vacation and then its back to reality for me. That's okay, I love working with kids all day and watching them strive to meet their goals. I also enjoy kids' humor. They are hilarious at times.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Toby,
I can't even imagine how tired of doing the same effects over and over and over again (6 hours a day) for 8 months you would get. I bet you know your material inside and outside and upside down...ha ha. Your lines and patter are probably spot on. I have mad respect for you man. Just being on your feet that long walking around all day is killer.

That's very interesting that you get killer reactions from African Americans / black people as well. The same with the goth kids. I thought for sure the goth teens would just look at me and be like "Oh...cool...that was pretty neat"...and then walk away, but these kids were flipping out man.

Thanks for chiming in and giving your thoughts.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results