3D Printing a Device

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I have an idea for a utility device that I want to experiment with. I've tried to find ways to make it on my own using household items, but can't seem to make a good prototype (yet). I have the essential sketch down. Then as I was thinking of ways of making this, I thought that I could probably 3d print it. I have found a website that allows you to 3d print your own creations and have them shipped out to you, but I have a few questions before going into this, as I hae 0 experience with 3d printing and designing.

Does anyone who has any experience with 3D printing know if the actual utility device will hold up? I'm planning on using stainless steel and/or plastic as my material. The device in itself is quite small, and I want to know if the quality will be ok for a prototype. How much do you thing these things will cost? Would I be better off making a larger scale model out of wood or something and working out the kinks in that first?

Any help is appreciated.

P.S. I don't think it is morally wrong to have a friend design it for me, and then pay a company to make it, if it's my own idea, right?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
3D Printing can be sturdy - it depends on the materials used mostly. Some of the plastics are more brittle, some are more sensitive to heat, etc.

I have a light switch I had 3D printed to look like a knife switch (think Frankenstein switches), and a friend of mine has a 3D printer so he prints all kinds of useful stuff. It's great for prototyping and testing ideas as long as the printer is good. The older ones you had to build yourself and they were prone to issues, but now you can find setups that are very reliable.

As for how much it'll be - that will be decided by whoever you are paying to do it, I guess. I don't know the size or complexity so it's impossible for me to guess at this point. My light switch was $7, mostly to cover supplies and time.

It's not morally wrong to have someone design a prop you invented. As long as it's not copying someone else's design.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results