A Christmas + New Year's Gift To You All

Sep 16, 2007
Sydney, Australia
A Christmas + New Year's Present To You All

Joey's Invisible Deck

The double backer card - a free gaff generously given by the Theory11 crew, but what effects can we incorporate the double backer into?

I was practicing with my Guardians and I came up with a very powerful use for a simple double backer: the Invisible Deck effect. All you need is your Guardians deck and you can perform "the best card trick of all time". The effect is exactly the same as the original Invisible Deck routine in the spectator's "video memory".

After I finished this post I searched to see if anyone else already thought of this idea, and much to my dismay someone already had, but I came up with this idea and method myself, so I'm stoked!

What You Need

Bicycle Rider Back Guardians

Effect

The deck is examined, handled and shuffled by the spectator. The deck is clearly spread to show that every card is facing one way. The deck is put in the box and given to the spectator to hold. The spectator thinks of any card. The magician patters. The deck is taken out of the box and spread to show that one card has miraculously turned face down. The card is suspensefully turned over to reveal that is indeed the card they thought of.

Explanation

- If you want the spectator to examine and shuffle the deck, then start by having the double backer in your pocket, then palm it onto the deck after they finish examining and shuffling. Most of the time if you just ask them to shuffle they don't even look at the cards.

- Tell them to finish with a cut, or just swing cut it yourself, to bring the double backer into the centre of the deck. Put the deck back into the box and give it to the spectator to hold. Have the spectator name a card. Include unique and interesting patter to have the card turn over. For example, tell them to truly believe, and use the power of their imagination to actually just turn their card over.

- Take the deck out of the box, then turn the deck face up and spread to reveal one card is face down. Simultaneously look for the card they named while spreading. Out jog the double backer and control their selection to the top. You can use any control, for example: cull, half revolve pass or cascade control. Honestly, just cut the card to the top because the spectator doesn't even notice, they are too entranced looking at the out jogged one face down card. After you have brought the selection to the top, you can spread the whole deck slowly to leave a lasting mental image of their card being the only face down card.

- Invert mechanics grip so your left hand is holding the deck palm down. Strip the double backer with right hand and turn left hand face up, turning the deck face down. You can also do a 180° TG Murphy Deck Flip, although it draws too much attention to the deck when the spectator is focused on the double backer, it somewhat detracts from the suspenseful moment.

- Misdirect by asking them to name their card out loud for the first time (actually the second time but they won't remember). While they are answering, turn left wrist slightly and catch a break under the top card. After they answer, briefly place the double backer on top of the deck. Turn over both cards above the break and reveal their card. For an example of the level this modified double lift should look like in performance, watch Justin Miller's portion of the Ghost Deck preview on Ellusionist, found here.

N.B. I am posting the explanation as I am the creator of this particular method of the impromptu Invisible Deck effect. If this still classifies in some way as indecent exposure I will remove it and have people P.M. me for the explanation instead.

Advantages

- Use any deck
- Any card can be named
- No deck switch required
- Eliminates the need to carry another whole deck
- The deck can be examined immediately before and after
- Use without any worry anywhere in a performance: as an opener, middle trick or closer
- No other card will ever be accidentally face down.
- Their thought of card is face down in the middle everytime
- Absolutely no systematic memorisation required. Locate selection faster.
- You can show both face up and face down cards
- Deck does not have to be handled delicately or kept in order. Can be shuffled in any way and even dropped. Selection can be returned anywhere.
- It looks like there are 55 cards when spread, because there are 55 cards. Actually, it looks more like 54, don't you think? ;)
- Does not readily wear out or need replacing or replenishment like the Invisible Deck.
- For those who try, you don't have to purchase "stuff" and make your own gimmick deck.
- Hecklers can even choose the jokers (my dad chose the joker when I did a test run)
- Don't ever worry about purchasing a faulty deck that needs to be handled like a snowflake
- Sold for only $4.95, and comes with a free deck of Guardians! How good is that! :p

Disadvantages + Solutions

- Requires at least one sleight. Not really a disadvantage. At its simplest, you just have to do a modified more easier double lift.

- Spectator may notice their card in the spread while you're spreading to locate the only face down card. Place great emphasis on and set them a temporary goal to look for the only face down card. The other cards will blur by. If you are interested here is a fun psychological experiment on inattentive blindness. It's not necessary, but to further minimise the potential problem put all the most commonly thought of cards in the top half of the deck above the double backer. This also helps for easy natural looking culling. If you don't know what the most commonly selected cards are, learn some mentalism and find out.

Preparation And Performance Advice

- Practice, practice, practice!
You should be able to control a card to the top discreetly and smoothly regardless of where it is found in the deck. Adapt your control method to where you find their selection.
Make sure you become efficient at locating any named card quickly. You should be able to make it look like a natural spread.
Ensure you are competent at palming because someone will ask you someday if they can examine the deck. I clean up at the end regardless. Here's a tip for cleaning up: the spectator is still holding the box. While the spectators are flipping out, palm the double backer which is conveniently already on top. Take the box from them and put the box in your pocket, simultaneously and naturally ditching the palmed card.

- If you need an excuse to spread the deck again because you missed locating or culling the card, just say something with a genuinely amazed expression like "every single card is face up except your selection, look!". This discreetly gives you a second chance to control their card and it emphasises that the face down card is indeed their selection.

- A pass is not recommended to bring their selection to the top. If you half revolve pass, you have to remove the double backer from the deck. There is a risk of a spectator turning over the double backer if you leave it on a table or in their hands. Only needs to be out of your hands for a very brief time and not at all if your cutting, culling or cascade controlling, so use one of them. If you really want to use the pass, and the audience is very impatient, exert your crowd control over the audience to ensure they don't turn over the double backer. Same principle used in Two Card Monte or Ultimate Transpo/Here Then There.

- I put the queen of hearts on top if I am performing for a girl, so there's pretty much no work needed if they select the queen of hearts, which I have personally found to be a likely selection. I sometimes follow this with my card to box routine (version 1) which can be found here.

- Yes, my method can also be used as an "out" to save you from potential disastrous embarrassment when you stuff up. Simply keep the double backer in the box during performance, and when you need to be saved, put the deck back in the box and proceed with my routine using smooth patter. Swing cut or if you're concerned invisible pass to bring the double backer into the middle when you take the deck back out. If I ever need to use them, I now have two "out" options: Third Degree Burn and the Invisible Deck.

Conclusion

As you can see, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. I've never had an Invisible Deck but now I have an impromptu one :D Overall I am very happy with my discovery and handling, I will surely use this a lot in my future performances without any worry.

So there you have it, my gift to you: a highly acclaimed trick to add to your arsenal.

Tell me what you think about my impromptu (completely for T11 members) Invisible Deck effect, and if I can improve anything to enhance the effect or handling.

Last but definitely not least, keep this routine to yourselves. It is for us T11 members.

Practice, use wisely and have fun!

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR~!!!

N.B. I am posting the explanation as I am the creator of this particular method of the impromptu Invisible Deck effect. If this still classifies in some way as indecent exposure I will remove it and have people P.M. me for the explanation instead.

Hate to burst your bubble, but that's been around for a while. People have been doing impromptu invisible deck routines since before I can remember...or at least since I remember a magician doing one to me when I was 12. Fooled the hell out of me and left me completely dumbfounded.

I even think Jay Sankey teaches something like that on one of his dvds to.

Merry Christmas!
Steve

Oct 6, 2007
Thanks Alot for sharing!!

Although it may not be 100% original, it's good that you're coming up with your own stuff and variations of efffects.

You seem to be doing very well for someone only 2.5 yrs/ into magic!

Nov 4, 2007
Hate to burst your bubble, but that's been around for a while. People have been doing impromptu invisible deck routines since before I can remember...or at least since I remember a magician doing one to me when I was 12. Fooled the hell out of me and left me completely dumbfounded.

I even think Jay Sankey teaches something like that on one of his dvds to.

Merry Christmas!
Steve
David Oliver has really nice impromptu ID, but he insists that it should only be used if you forget your actual ID. His is a bit different though, the card never leaves the middle, so you dont need to take it out, etc. It fooled me the first time, it really is a magician fooler. If you ever see him lecture or anything, ask him about it.

Sep 15, 2007
We can add Barrie Richardson to the list of names that has come up with an impromptu Invisble Deck using a double backer.

But kudos, Joey, for putting your ideas out there.

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
I made this, awhile ago, but then found out that I'm not the first time, and it has a couple flaws opposed to the real ID, that's why I don't use it that much. But good explanation yeah, I don't know if exposure is allowed, but anyways thanks, good job man
Only con of yours is that it's not really impromptu because of the double backer, you can just braue reverse (or half pass) a card (preferably AS).

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results