A connection...

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
I don't want this thread to turn into a bash thread. I was on myspace which I haven't checked in forever and when I made my myspace I added Criss Angel as friend. Well today he posted a bulletin that season six comes on in august. I started reading the comments and I realized that if I could even halfway connect with people like he does I'd feel like I accomplished what I've been trying to do. It's easy to show someone a magic trick and it be over with. But to show someone something and instill a belief in them is entirely different. I do wish that when I start performing in public I can do just that. *I've been doing magic for 4 years and have performed at school maybe 5 times.* I just hope to be able to connect on people as it seems he does.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I've found that connecting to the audience is -the- -key- to a good performance. The tricks I perform usually are pretty simple. An inversion plot, Chicago Opener, ACR. But I talk to my audience, I treat them like real people. Because of that, I think, I'm recognized just walking along the street when I'm at the Farmer's Market I perform at.

Connecting can be tricky, but for me, it's just a matter of talking to them. As I say, "Don't perform AT them, perform FOR them."

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
Well the reason I've performed only 5 times is because I have a really dumb mindset to where I think I don't do things good enough and people will figure me out because I'm not doing the effects perfectly. :( I want to connect and think I can.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
But I talk to my audience, I treat them like real people.

Are they not real people? No need to respond, I know what you mean. A lot of magician's ignore their audiences completely and marvel at the lack of response they get in return.

Even magician's who claim presentation is key will often mess up and perform like a robot with no personal investment in what should be a nice conversation that is built around an illusion you're creating.

You're right when you say to perform for them, as many magicians will emphatically perform at someone...and then blame the crowd for the lack of praise they receive.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Well the reason I've performed only 5 times is because I have a really dumb mindset to where I think I don't do things good enough and people will figure me out because I'm not doing the effects perfectly. :( I want to connect and think I can.

I think one of the most important lessons I've learned from performing is this: You are probably better than you think.

Of course, this applies to technical skill only. There are routines and sleights that I thought I could never pull off. A perfect example is Tony Chang's DVR. When I practice it alone, I think to myself, "God, I suck at this. There's no way this is going to fool anyone." Then a week ago I performed it for some people that I'm really comfortable with (I call them my fan club), and it went over great! They had no idea how I did it, and they loved the effect.

Performance skill can only be learned by performing, I think. But if you've practiced the technical aspects for long enough, you're probably doing better than you think you are. It's easy for us, as magicians, to think that we're not doing a sleight or routine well, because we know exactly what to look for. But the reality of the situation is that laymen have -no idea- what we're doing. In my own opinion, there is absolutely no better way to learn this than to go out and perform. You will be amazed at what you can get away with. Then you'll be thrilled to keep performing these miracles for people.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
If you want tips on presentation and how to connect with your audience more to make a lasting impression, I recommend picking up Juan Tamariz's Five Points in Magic. I LOVE this book with dear heart and soul, and it's always something I will be coming back to when I need tips on using this part of the body to misdirect or how to use this part of the body to convince people what I'm doing is real magic. This book never fails to teach me something new. I'm relatively new to going out and performing for strangers (busking), and I know I have LOTS to learn. I highly recommend this to not just you, but EVERY living soul who has a pure love for magic.

-Casey

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Well the reason I've performed only 5 times is because I have a really dumb mindset to where I think I don't do things good enough and people will figure me out because I'm not doing the effects perfectly.

You have the perfect mindset. Now all you have to do is break it just enough to start performing. Don't go performing for everyone you see, and don't exhaust your repertoire on one audience. Pick one or two tricks you really enjoy and perform them until you've perfected everything there is to perfect about them. Analyze each reaction you get and find ways to improve them.

After you feel you've mastered them practice one or two more to beat to hell with a performing stick.

Also, start conversations with complete strangers without magic and just talk to them. Make friends. This will help you understand what you need to do/say and what people like to talk about when you approach them. It'll make performing easier if you take 2 minutes to make a friend first. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results