A few concerns about the classic pass again :-)

Aug 15, 2017
Get the pass silent. I think that is priority number one. The pass is fast, but has violent movement. You can hide all movement by getting the audience to look some where else, but they will still hear it. Get a silent pass first.

Then work on having the packets end up as square as possible when they coalesce. I think of this like shooting hoops. I don't just practice until I can make 10 free throws in a row. I practice until I can make 10 free throws in a row, all swish. Same with the pass. Don't just work on having the packets transpose as quick and silently as possible. Work on them landing as close to perfectly square as well.

Finally, work on speed and then add the covers.

If you are interested in magic as much as it seems you are, then I would ditch the Classic Pass for now and devote a lot more time into getting used to reading magic books. Books on methods, theory, and performance tips. There is a lot of powerful magic available out there that is far easier and requires much less time to master. All those hours you've spent on the Classic Pass, you could have already been practicing in the real world some working effects, building your character, understanding people and their behaviors, etc.

But if you just really want an invisible Classic Pass and that's what turns you on at night...then yeah keep at it. Just remember that practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. Good luck.
Thanks...and also thank you for making me feel great about getting my pass silent as my first priority! It is more silent now than it is fast! lol.
Great suggestions about the performance. I CAN confidentally say that the area I lack the most in card magic is controls...I mean, I just do the double-undercut, which is fine but I wanted to 'up' my handling and controls.
Good thing I DID focus on the character-building stuff first, thanx!

Aug 15, 2017
I agree. The opportunity for them to burn your hands while you do the pass should not exist. If they are being a hard customer, you don't need to perform, or you simply use a different control. And if they aren't , you use misdirection and redirection to do the pass.

No one will be burning your hands while doing a pass. The fact that you can do it seamlessly is just there in case people are looking at your hands. Sure it's satisfying when you do a pass in front of them and them but if you can pull it off it works.

I know right?
But I was wondering with situations involving a full audience. One can never ensure everyone is sufficiently misdirected!
Just remembered something Jay Sankey said
" While doing a pass, 'Look carefully at the deck while I square the cards' said no magician EVER, because there will ALWAYS be a tiny flash"

want to avoid this in an audience atmosphere where the audience is not that far so as to not be able to see my pass if I do it inexpertly.
I guess taking a mirror and putting my brains at work is the only solution here right?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I know right?
But I was wondering with situations involving a full audience. One can never ensure everyone is sufficiently misdirected!
Just remembered something Jay Sankey said
" While doing a pass, 'Look carefully at the deck while I square the cards' said no magician EVER, because there will ALWAYS be a tiny flash"

want to avoid this in an audience atmosphere where the audience is not that far so as to not be able to see my pass if I do it inexpertly.
I guess taking a mirror and putting my brains at work is the only solution here right?
Not really. You can very easily move the audiences attention else wgere. It only takes a second to do the pass. You could do it as you gesture for someone to stand up, come to the performance area and do something.

Reactions: Lord Magic
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results