A Magician´s Journal-"Practical Class"-July 17

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
A Magician´s Journal
"Practical Class"​

I don´t feel like a terrific magician...in fact...everytime I get inside this art more...is the more I feel like I don´t know anything...I still don´t know what is a Cull...what is a topit...and so many other things that I feel I should know by now...that´s why when somebody over Facebook asked me to give him some magic classes, of course paid classes..I hesitated...I needed sometime to think the answer...

I try to look over from the point of view...when I was starting out...I had nobody to helped me...and so many magicians to look down on me or laugh at me or try to overcome me...so long time ago...now they are not laughing anymore...but I remembered the feeling...of loneliness..and that uncertanity of where I was and if what I was doing was right....I don´t want anybody to feel like that...and even more if that kid has 14 years old...

"Ok...but it´s gonna be my way...I am gonna have to evaluate you first..." In order to find out if he is serious about this..
"Oh!1 Luis!!! thank you so much!!! of course.." He says....Ruben is his name...

That was around 3 weeks ago...

Saturday
8:30 pm
On my way to his home...

After having a couple theorical classes the past weeks I think is time to take him out and do some magic for strangers...I realized long ago that the best teacher is the experience of performing..and he has never performed for strangers...Also..I remember the place where I am taking him..Plaza Campestre...it was my first playground and lots of people are friends with me there...so I think it can be a great start...for him...

The moment I accepted to give him classes...I decided that while maybe I didn´t know how to be an effective teacher, I really think that I could give him some guidance...

On Our way to Plaza Campestre..

"Hey Luis!! I saw this awesome trick from a guy called...Mayne Pouchin...or something like that...he pulled a thread from his eye!! I am so buying it and then do it next week...what do you think?
"I think you should focus right now in the material you have...while that trick might look awesome, and also I don´t think you are really thinking on buying it...if you now what I mean...we´ve talked about this before...right now...you need to learn that expensive tricks are NOT equal to great reactions...it depends on something else...you´ll see it"

We arrive...and I cannot but help having memories of me doing magic here...and being nervous..standing in a corner..just waiting to my nerves to go...and having the courage to perform...

"Ok..so..first I am going to perform and you are going to watch...be sure to check every detail, and how I introduce myself and what trick I use and how I behave....then we are going to go to other tables and I am going to introduce myself, then I am going to tell them that you are going to show them some magic...don´t worry...I´ll got your back..."

I see a big table full of people that appears to be a family...this can be a good table...

"Hello...How are you guys doing? is everything going right?..." My opening line...and everything goes very well...during the performance I glance at Ruben...and he looks really surprised...nice..

"Well..I am glad you had a great time!! my name is Luis Vega...and I hope to see you again!!"

I return with Ruben..

"So what do you think"
"OMG!! LUIS!! THAT WAS SO AWESOME!!! The trick with the ring was great!!"
"Yes...it´s one of my favorites...so...are you ready?"
"Well...actually No..."
"Ok, let´s do it!!!" doesn´t matter if he is ready or not...we are here to learn..

I see a table of seniors people..they seem to be eager to see a young person improving himself...also, they look like nice people...I think we can start with this one

"Hello everyone!! how is it going?"
"Great thanks!!"
"Well...allow me to introduce myself..my name is Luis Vega and I am a profesional Ilusionist...but right now I want to introduce you to a friend of mine...he is Ruben...and he is a student of magic...I was hoping you could let him show you some tricks!!"
"OK!! looks like a great idea!!"
"Ok...without further delay...I leave you with Ruben"

I need to check on him...first mistake...he doesn´t introduce himself...he just extend the deck and ask a lady to grab any card...he is very nervous...he relies to much in the marked deck...that he lose the card...even to himself...he needs to repeat the trick...this time he guesses the card...then he does a 2 card monte...it hits good...

"Ok...I am so glad you let him show you his magic!! we´ll see you around and have a great night!!!" I say to them at the end..

"So how did I do?"
"Ok...it was good..there are somethings you need to work out..like your introduction..even when I introduced you, you should always have courtesy..also, try creating a more potent voice..." I continue telling him what I think he should change..and he listens...

"Great...so how about another 3 tables!!" I tell him...and he is eager to continue doing it...

The next 3 tables are as follows..one with 3 girls and 1 guy...2 girls of his age and one with a couple...with each one I can see that his fear is not the same when we started...and he seems to start getting that the presentation is what counts to do real magic...he only does 2 tricks...2CM and a revelation...and he sees that the reactions are awesome...anyway..I have a surprise for him...

"That was great Ruben!!"
"Yeah, thanks!! I really enjoyed this evening!!"
"What are you talking about? we are not done yet..."
"But you said we´ll do magic in 4 tables.."
"Yes..it´s true...but in the 4 tables I introduced you...how about one more..and you go and introduce by yourself...I´ll be right here..but you need to learn doing it on your own...now...GO!!"

He approaches a table of 2 ladies and they say No...

"They said no!!"
"Doesn´t matter...the thing here is that not everyone is eager to see magic, they could be busy, drunk or just having a serious talk...don´t take it personal...just thank them and wish them good night and leave for another table.."

He then proceds to a new table..this time they say yes...but also because the table recognized me...I just tell them to not tell him...and he does GREAT!! even when he only did a couple of tricks the reactions were great...he definitely has future...

On my way to his home...
10:30pm

"So..I hope you had a great time!!" I tell him after all the things he tell me he learned
"yes!! I totally love this!! it was the first time I did magic for strangers...and I think I improved..it´s not so bad after all"
"Well..you did great!!...I must admit..you are going faster than I did...congrats!!
"Thank you Luis!!"

I leave him at his home..and I cannot avoid to think...that he is going to make me very proud...Now...onto the Urban Legend Project....

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 11, 2011
Thanks for sharing this with us Luis. I teach some young people magic too, it really is great filling, when you see when they improve with their magic, and that you can help them along the way. :)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
That is a great story Luis. I hope the student appreciates what you have done and that as he gets better and better and that he does not forget you as he becomes successful. I too have mentored a few beginners from our local club. One thing they all seem to do is want to purchase tons and tons of effects because they are only performing for family and not going out and doing magic for strangers like you just helped him with. Thanks for sharing this Luis...you are a good dude for taking this kid under your wing.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
@Jakubr...Thanks man!! I think the best thing is that he has attitude and he is very eager to learn!!

@ Rick Everhart...Thank buddy!! and yes...it´s a common symptom in young magicians..been there, done that...I think I needed to push him to perform for strangers..either way is the best for him...thanks again for your comments!!

some pictures of that night out!!

View attachment 4397View attachment 4398

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results