Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
"A Normal Day In Hell"
Journal of Mar 20
by Luis Vega

Diablos
9:00 pm

I arrive just in time to start my shift here as a magician...now I´ve been working here for 2 weeks now and I must say I love my job...as I enter I am greeted by the staff and everybody just say hello to me, I feel great since the staff are all cool people and I have a great time working with them...also I always like to treat everybody the way I would like to be treated...it´s my credo...

I arrive to my spot and I am greeted by the manager Talacho

"Hi Luis!! are you ready to rock?"
"Of course man..."
"great!! listen there is a table with some people I would like you to meet so I´ll see you later"
"Ok, see ya!"

Starting a night in Diablos is kind of tricky since there is the band playing it´s difficult to hear and talk...anyway I have learned to project my voice so it´s not a big of a deal...also the set should be quick, visual enough so people doesn´t need to hear me talk and quick to reset...also I am allow to ask for tips so...it should be fun..

I start with table full of teenagers...the good and bad thing about this restaurant is that is not a common public, there are all kinds of people here...and I mean ages...from kids to teenagers to drunk adults...all kinds...so the repertoire has to be for all kind of people...anyway I start with the teenagers...it´s very important to recognize the leader of the group so you engage him first...and in this case albeit from recognize him I had to submit him (in the good way) since he was trying to overcome my authority so I just said "here...come closer, so you can watch better"...I couldn´t believe he understood who was in charge of the table...awesome!!..one thing to note is that teenagers generally don´t give good tips (around 2 bucks this time) so it´s better to not expect anything from them aside from some applauses....

I have found something interesting about the tips...you get what you want...but you need to find the good tables, now since I have a pay I don´t have to worry for getting tips, but I recognize the tables that give better tips to ask them also I used to think that elder people were the best...I was wrong...

I arrive to a table with 3 girls and one guy...I perform some great magic and I realize that when I ask for a bil for a bill switch, this guy gives me a big bill...so I realize he is trying to impress the girls...I´ll give him the chance...

After I am done with the table I throw my line..."Thanks you so much, I hope you guys enjoy this..."claps, claps" My name is Luis Vega and I am going to be here fridays and saturdays from 9 to 11 pm.....so buddy, if you want to support this art, I will be very grateful!!" I give him a stare...and he gives me a big fat tip...and all the girls clap!!...oh boy!! I knew this guy was trying to impress this girls and I use it to my advantage...

I think tip lines are good...but you have to know when to use it and also have more than one ready...always...since not all the audiences are the same...sometimes you don´t have to ask, sometimes yes...

I arrive to another table and since my introduction goes like this..I obtain a surprise answer...

"Hello how is it going? is everything ok? do you need anything?" I try to have different approaches...this one was taught by my mentor Benji Bruce...to act as the manager gives you an increased value to them...

"No...we ordered some drinks some years ago!!! and also they told us that the promotion that they were telling about in the radio was out yesterday!! what the piece of c*** place you have"...Ok I was expecting this kind of answer...
"Lady let me check with the staff if they can make an exception...I´ll be back in a few minutes" I just say..though I don´t really have power over the staff...I will still tell them...forget about the magic for now..

I continue working and I can really tell times goes by real fast...in an average day I attend around 15 tables...also I have certain rules to follow, to give preference to tables with:

+lots of drinks
+lots of girls
+lots of money
+lots of time there

It´s all part of the game...also I try to do magic to people that actually asks me to do it, even when they are not inside the parameters I was given before...

The night goes fast and before I even realize it´s 11:00pm so my shift it´s over...

"Hey Luis!! I hope you had a blast today!! did you get lots of tips?"
"Yes Talacho a lot!! and I had a really good time"
"Great so listen...remember I told you about this table of friends?"
"Yes"
"Do you have time for one more?"
"Of course man!"

I arrive to the table where there is only a couple and I decide to go for it and show my strongest tricks...fortunately it paid off...

"That was great Luis Vega!! I loved it!!"
"I am glad you enjoy it"
"So listen...I am a tv producer!! I would like you to come tuesday to give a show in the news!! how is that?"
"That would be great!!"
"Great!! give me you bussiness card and will be in touch!!"
"Of course..."

We exchange information while thinking that even when my shift was over I decided to be polite with the manager and give a little more...so after this I quickly go to the kitchen and I got great food for dinner..free!!!

I always like to thank everybody like the staff, the waiters,the manager and the chefs that feed me...it´s always nice to thank them...I go for my pay and I go home to get a good sleep..while thinking about the TV appearance...

Not bad for a day in Hell...seems I have found my Heaven here...

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Luis:

Excellent. It goes to show how putting in that extra effort pays off. Well done my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 10, 2010
Luis, well done! Glad to see you settled in your job quite nicely.

Your blog is one of the most entertaining magician blogs to read, I enjoy them a lot. Keep 'em comin'. :D

Sabor

P.S. Have you ever thought about starting an actual blog and posting them all there? For archive purposes, it'd be neat to see the progression in your work. There's a few free blogging sites that are very easy to manage, like blogspot and tumblr.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
@Daniel Montagne. Thanks man!! I love sharing this stories!

@Reality One: Thanks!! I guess you always receive more than you give..not only in magic...but in life

@Saborfang17: Yes..I did think that..but I feel that this way more people gets to read it...although some day soon I am planing to get it together in a PDF...thanks man!! I really appreciate the compliment!!

@Reverhart: Thanks My Man!! I am glad you got impressed!! I don`t think you as a very impresionable person since I feel you have seen it all!! anyway...thanks again!!

@Hepdini: I really can`t find the words to say that your comment really made my day...and how good I felt!! I am so happy you find inspiration in my journal!! I`ll continue doing it..I promise!!

@Mehar: Glad you enjoy it!! I`ll keep up!!

Jun 10, 2010
@Saborfang17: Yes..I did think that..but I feel that this way more people gets to read it...although some day soon I am planing to get it together in a PDF...thanks man!! I really appreciate the compliment!!

When you compile that PDF, hit me up with a PM, bro. I'd love to have a copy of it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results