Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
"An Invited Thought"
By Luis Vega
Journal of Jun 18....

8:50
My home...

"It´s getting late" I say for myself...going here and there all day has left me all weak for tonight...wish I have more time and energy...anyway I think it´s time to prepare my repertoire...I think I can add something different today...

I check my magic stuff and I look the usual tricks and the new ones..."I think it´s time to test it" I say to myself when I see the plastic bag with Crush inside....

9:50

A quick shower,a good lotion and a sandwich it´s all need to get ready...I think I am becoming faster in dressing...I am ready to go...I extend today´s repertorie in my bed....a deck of cards, thumbtip, ring-flight, prediction with numbers, Dissolution,rubber-bands, Loops and Pressure...I get ready Crush at the end..."thank god!! it´s cold outside!!" so I can wear a jacket without problem of getting hot...

Marcela...

it hits me..."what was that?"...doesn´t matter...you want to forget about it and focus on your magic...

10:30

I arrive to the Plaza Campestre...I find a parking spot really quick...what to do? what to do?...I am wondering and deciding which restaurant I´ll begin with...one of the advantages of not having a job in a restaurant it´s that I am a free agent...at least here is the best...since no restaurant here can pay my full price..."man!!..is it really a lot 500 pesos 2 hours?" I wonder...

I have decided...Il Padrino will be the first...I arrive and Luca the owner and a very good italian friend salutes me..."Luis I´ve been expecting you to arrive...my friends are very eager to met you!!!" he says to me before introducing me to a table full of strangers...I feel good!!...I really need the first table to be a good one to get attitude for the whole night...I take out my deck and introduce myself...I could have say my usual intro-line but since this guys are Luca´s friends there is no point...

I look at them and I feel their excitement in their eyes...I do a quick flourish then a Paul Spread and let a smiling guy pick a card..."don´t show it to me, I´ll turn my back so you can show it to everybody!!"...I have a quick quiet moment of 2 seconds while I am looking elsewhere..

Marcela...

"AGAIN?!!"...I have to stop thinking about her...and dream about what has not happen...it´s distracting me...

"READY!!" I hear over my shoulders and then I do my opener..Sure?...everybody is smiling and very amused...I feel good..."one important part of magic is misdirection, theoritecally I could appear an elephant behind me with some misdirection" everybody laughs...I can believe nobody believes that when it´s true..."I am not kidding!! see I want to make a little experiment with my cards..since tonight the elephant didn´t want to come" everybody laughs...I can believe I made that joke in the spur of the moment...I proceed to perform card under glass and card to mouth...it´s great!! I have the sudden feeling this would be a great night...or so I thought..

After the misdirection class I proceed with my rubberbands and bill switch and I end with pressure...one hard hit after another...Crush?..not yet...

everybody it´s having fun...I am sure amused...then I throw my hat line..."I hope you guys enjoy it!!...of course if you want to cooperate to buy more decks I will be more than grateful!!" I see everybody looking in the pockets or bags for some spare money...then I got my tip...around 100 pesos...or 10 bucks..nice for the beggining of the night...

I say goodbye to Luca and everybody since even when this table was full, the night is quiet...I look to another table and I see a couple staring at me...they were looking the performance of the first table...I hesitate if I stay and perform for them...then I see them turnin their backs..."maybe next time"

I go to Ana Marias´s place...she is there and I see a large table...but all of them has seen me before...and I really don´t feel I have something new to show them...they say hello to me anyway...Crush?...I could..but I don´t think it could work with the bottles they have there...besides they are having some kind of debate...I really don´t want to interrupt..I say hi to Ana Maria and I chit chat a little..she tells me that he is the new administrator of the whole Plaza..and she wants me to invite me to the re-inaguration of the place...to give a stand-up show in front of everybody...I smile and I accept...we´ll check the details later...also, my city is full of good intentions and promises, but the facts are much less...until I am getting the half of the show paid beforehand I won´t think about it...I say goodbye to the table of friends and leave the place...

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
11:15

I go to the next place...Shannon´s Pub...an Irish Pub...I find my friend Abby at the door...she is also a waitress there..."Hello!! How are you doing" I have a nice talk with her..."you know there´s a great table in the mezzanine, I really think you should go there and do magic for them" she says...I go and it´s a great table...for a waiter and the restaurant...but not for me...

it´s a big table but everybody is in their talk...18 people divided in little groups of 3-4 people...not good, since it´s difficult to mantain attention in a big group in a very noisy environment...the band is playing really loud, I can barely listen to myself..I want to find other table, then a girl of the table recognizes me.."HEY!!! it is you!! come here please!!" she screams... I approach and she introduce me with the whole group and tell them that I am the magician she knew some time ago, that I was really good...and I really can´t tell where she met me...

Anyway I start to perform and happens what I fear...during my quick introduction a group continues chatting and don´t look anymore...other group is also distracted and they can´t hear what I am saying...I really don´t like this...anyway I want to perform magic for my fan and his group of 4 people...I perform my usual routine with difficulty since it´s very loud...gladly I perform highly visual tricks (ACR, Dissolution, Rubberbands and floating card with Loops...

they applaud and other group of the table wants to see the magic...it´s too late...I am gone...with my tips...

Marcela...it seems that thinking about you here...gives me some peaceful moment in this chaos...

I go down and I go with the bartender and I ask him if I can leave some stuff with him, since I don´t want to carry it..he just tells me to put it around there...I leave a ziploc bag with an envelope with spare Loops and some invisble thread...I brought it just in case...

all the waiters say hello to me...and I perform in 3 more tables...I got some good tips...then I chat with Aby and tells me something that freezes me..."I want to ask you.. what is that thing hanging from your jacket?" I totally forgot about Crush..I really hope nobody besides her see that...but I am wrong...another table where I just perform also saw it..."CRAP!!" I go to the bathroom...I realize my problem and I fix it very quickly with some rubberbands..."I am going to try it out...so at least was worth the flash" I get out of Shannon´s not without saying goodbye to my friends there...

12:30
I arrive to other place...Sabina...It´s more like a bohemian place...I think I can do some tips here...I say Hi to the owners and I proceed to the tables...2 out of 3 don´t want to see magic...I really don´t understand why some people refuses to be amazed and entertained...I will never understand...the other table is a table full of drunks, but I didn´t realize that until I introduce myself...I perform my opener..then I feel something in my back pocket...I see one of the drunks laughing and searching in my pocket...he takes out a baloon...I get really angry...but I want to control myself..I just leave him keep the ballon and I just pick up my stuff and leave without a word...a guy follows me and he tells me he is sorry for his friends...a nice touch...I tell him that maybe other time I´ll perform for him and other not-drunk friends...we laugh and I leave to a new restaurant...apparently it´s new...here all the restaurants changes every month...anyway I am tired...and I decide to leave and talk with the manager other day...then I see that they have some bottles that could work with Crush....I decide to try it out...

Marcela...why I deny to myself that thinking about you is distracting?...I don´t think that anymore when I smile...

I enter the place and I just want to find a table to test it...test and perform it´s not the same...If something goes wrong I usually tell the table beforehand that it´s an experiment so they don´t be dissapointed...and usually is tip free..

I approach a table full of lovely ladies..one of them was staring at my eyes since I enter the place...awesome...I introduce myself as usual and perform the usual...now comes the moment of truth..

"I would like to try something out...see you realize that the air is composed of molecules...and of course they react to any fisical change..." I say while taking an empty bottle from their table.."I think we all can try something, I want you to focus on this little bottle" I say while I uncap the bottle and give it to them for inspection..silently I get ready..."this bottle is full of air, I think I can modify the temperature inside...but I can´t do it alone...could you please ladies, put your hands on top of it...without touching it..now I want you to focus on your hands and feel the warm on them...I´ll try to focus your energy and reverse the temperature so the air can shrink instead of expand" I say while I touch their hands for a moment...then I do the first move....nothing happens...I am very worried to look like an idiot if this doesn´t work, my heart is racing..."watch closely..." I do another move and the bottle crushes a little...they scream...I do other move and the bottle crushes even more...I decided to leave it there, to not crush the bottle in it´s entirety...the girls are screaming...

I do something very risky...I un-cap the bottle give it to them and I take advantage of the moment and grab a glass of water full of ice...just a moment...they are screaming and then one of them grabs my hands and realize that is very cold...I tell her that is because I change their energy from warm to cold...they are scared...they feel my cold hand..."but you hand was warm before the trick!!!" I just let the moment to happen...and leave...

I go back to shannon´s to pick up my stuff....I go to the bar and check the spot...it´s gone...I don´t panic I just search again...gone...

I ask the bartender and he has no idea about what happen...I want to get angry, but I realize it´s my fault...I should have left it in the car or not bring it...I won´t do that mistake again...

1:45

I get back in the car...and think about today...nice thoughts...I count my tips...600 pesos or 60 bucks...not bad...

I am tired...I am hungry again...I go to dinner some tacos while thinking about today´s magic and then I leave for a good sleep night...

Marcela...looking forward to see you on tuesday...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results