Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
"Just KIDding"
Journal of Oct 15
By Luis Vega

Before anything:I would like to extend a big and fat THANK YOU to Rick Everhart (Reverhart) and David (Reality One) for their great advice into "Kids Parties" I am sure that without them maybe this journal wouldn´t be as fun as it will be...Thanks guys!! you are awesome!!

Sometimes before...anytime...

I like the kids!!...seriously, they are sincere, fun and I usually get along with them pretty fast...but I hate doing magic for them, not because I can´t do it, but because I don´t want to be labeled as a kids magician, I have enough with the typical image that everyone here has...and I am still having a hard time trying to shake it, but I guess only time will say...

I do have a quote "You cannot hate something...if you haven´t tried out yet" and that´s very true, still I had managed to reject the kids parties offerings...until now...

About 2 weeks ago
9:00 am

My phone rings....

"Hello Luis Vega?"
"Yes...it´s me"
"Hi!! it´s Angelica"
"oh!! Miss Angelica!! how are you doing?"
"Great!! everything is just fine..so are you up for my daughter birthday?" CRAP!! I forgot that I was supposed to confirm that gig today...truth be told...I am not a kid´s magician and I don´t feel like doing a kid´s show..but then I remember "You cannot hate something if you haven´t tried out first"..mmm..
"Of course!! I´ll be there...the price is the same we talk last time"
"Ok!! so see you there!! my daughter is really looking forward to see you again!!" If only I could remember where she saw me first...
"Great!! have a nice day!"

Ok...what the hell did I just do?...I have no set for kids, let alone perform actively for kids, I have performed for children before, but not at this degree...I am gonna have to come up with a plan...

Oct 15
12:00 pm

Ok...so I have to check everything before going...I do think I have a great tracklist, as my friends suggested change a lot of my behavior and manners...most of the material is my usual material but with a kids theme, so I don´t have to worry about practice and routining..

The party is at 5:00...so I am gonna practice the set again and then have a quick meal and leave...I don´t think it would be appropiate to eat there...or maybe it´s just me..

The Party
4:30 pm

I arrive early to the house and my,my,my...it´s a big house!!, I am greeted by Miss Angelice and up until now I have no idea when we meet...

"Luis!! we were expecting you!! my daughter is so excited to see you again!" if only she was 20 years old...
"ah!! well I am very eager to do the show for she and her friends!!"
"Ok!! So right now they are at the pool, you need anything?" what?!! I don´t like this, kids tend to be more active if they were doing a physical activity before the show, it´s going to be very hard for them to stay sit in a single place
"I would like to see the place where I will be performing"
"of course!! follow me!!"

we enter to a big room with a view to the pool...and then her daughter enters...

"Luis!! How are you!! I still have the fork you gave me!!" if only I could remember when that was
"Oh!! so I can see you liked the show...did you invite your friends?"
"all of them!! and they think you are very handsome!!" if only they also were 20 years old..
"aww!! thanks!!"
"let me call them now!!" and before I can say anything she ran away to the pool

"Girls!!! my mother is so great, she brought Luis Vega to my party!!!" from all the phrases I heard about me like "you are so great, you are the greatest magician I have seen in my life and all...that one really made me feel famous!!

In 2 seconds I am surrounded by little girls..."So...I now you want to see the show, but If you can just give me some minutes to put the stage, that would be great!!" surprisely...they agree...

I just start getting the stage together, no big deal, just a table and some little things..but then I learn that even before the show I must check my angles...a little girl is behind me and spotted the golden fish I was supposed to produce...

"Why do you have a fish?"
"What?" I answer still surprised to see her there spying on me...although I know maybe it wasn´t intentional
"Why do you have a fish?"
"Oh!! this fish...it´s because I heard your friend had a pool here...so I decided to bring it along to swim...don´t you like it?" I hope this 5 years old girl buy this crap
"Oh!! would you let me swim with him later?"
"Of course...in the meantime go with your friends and return in a couple minutes"
"Ok!!"

That was close...

The set is ready...the mother calls the girls...I am ready...

The Show

the girls just sit in front of the table, around 2 meters away and at this moment I can see that they are still agitated from the pool...let alone wet!

I start explaining that I am not a usual magician, since I don´t have a hat, a cap or a rabbit, then I produce a cane...I can see by the look at their faces that they are fooled...and fooled badly, "GOOD..." I think

I continue with my set and then in the second trick I hear the first of not-so-many but deffinitely more than usual "I know how you did that!!" I just smile and continue...I do know like a thousand answers to this statement and I could have answer that one...but I think it´s natural for them to be like this, I mean c´mon like David said "they have 10 years old and they think they are not longer children" so I carry on..

I reach to one of the strongest tricks I prepared for this show: "Freefall" although my handling it´s different the trick remains the same...by this moment I had around 4-5 "I know how you did that" by that "clever girl" and It´s time to produce the gift for the birthday girl...

As I expect it hits so hard I cannot believe it...it´s just so imposible...

Since the beggining of the show, I see that more girls are starting to stand up and getting way to near the table, the parents are mantaining control, but I honestly think that it can only get worst...I hope I am wrong...

I do my cups and balls routine and everything goes fine...until the final load, when the girls see 3 big balls appear under the cups...is hell unleashed...well, as far as in a living room can be...

The girls just scream, stand up and start checking the cups, the balls, my sleeves...everything...I lost control...the parents are doing the best they can to calm the girls, but they doesn´t seem to obey...I just froze there, I feel a little panic inside of me, I have no idea how to regain control and I just stand there...then I take a deep breath and thankfully the girls see that I am calm and slowly the parents help me to sit the girls again...I don´t think this is the way to go, but c´mon...it´s my first time!! so I won´t be so hard on myself...for now..

I just carry on with my show...I try to continue, but the sole thought of 10-years old girls around me (yeah, you guessed...no boys in this party) makes me shiver...

I am finished..finally...the longest 45 min of my life...the girls are really happy, the parents are clapping and I am smiling, it was a hard show, but I think I nailed it..

"Luis...can you show us the trick where you made a person feel what other people feels?" the mother asks...
"What?"
"You know...the one where somebody feel the hair of the other person" WTF?!! how the heck does she knows that?
"Ok...but before anything I would like to say that...."
"OH!!! YES!! I WANNA SEE IT!!!" the birthday girl screams
"mmm...Ok...so I want you to tell me who is your best friend..." I start the routine, while trying to shake the feeling that maybe I am doing wrong, since I have never performed mentalism for 10 year old girls...also there a lot of things that could go wrong here...but I carry on...

"Ok...so Bertha (the BFF name) did you feel anything?" my heart is rushing..I have no idea if this girl felt anything and If didn´t I am screwed...
"yes...I feel you touched me"this would have sound very akward in other situation...but at least this time I am happy
"really?...where did you feel the touch?"
"In my nose"
"How did it feel?"
"Like a hair or something going down in my nose" she says as everyone just freak out (The effect is called "Hair" from the Loops DVD with Daniel Garcia...it´s another version of "PK touches" by Banachek)
"that´s strange...since the one that I touched with a hair is your friend over here" I finally say

Outcome...

The parents pay me more than the price arranged...they are very happy...
All the girls want me for their birthday parties...one of them wants to be my girlfriend...sorry...she is not my type (nor my age)
I give some business cards...I hope to get booked again for other parties...sadly there wasn´t a lot of parents in this party
I get to eat some pizza!!

As I go to my house I reflect about this...although I still don´t want to be labeled as a kids magician, these gigs have proved funny, also it helps to build my persona and style...any experience is good...maybe I´ll accept another kids gig if offered...and I´ll make sure to charge more!!!

Btw: add me!! http://www.facebook.com/luisvega21
and stalk me!! http://twitter.com/LuisVega_M

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 27, 2010
Muy bueno, yo lo poco que e intentado con niños no puedo hacerlo. Me gustó tu escapada del pez, muy buena. A todo esto, como dicen acá en Chile sobre las mujeres "Si hay pelito no hay delito"

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Luis:

It sounds like it went great! I love the reaction you got to the cups and balls finale.

As for the "I know how you did it" girl, chances are she doesn't (I once had a kid explain that I did Brainwaive by having a blue deck in my pocket, taking out the thought of card and inserting it in the red deck when no one was looking). It sounds like you handled it perfectly by just not paying attention to it.

Great read.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I would hate to be known as a kids magician too, but I really would like to maybe pick up seriously silly and get me a kids show going and do birthday parties for side cash...people will pay crazy for a magician at ten-year-old-Tommy's birthday!

And besides, just because you do kids shows doesn't mean that you are a kids magician. On your business cards and advertisements, put kids shows on there, but you also do a whole lot more stuff for older age groups ya know?

Sounds like you had a lotta fun and a bit of trouble! I really admire you going to a kids party. I love fooling around with little kids, but magic... the most I'll do for them is like.. a colour change? They do not like cards at all!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Luis,
Super job man. I was so excited when I heard you were willing to tackle this gig and you went right after it by seeking some advice. I'm glad David and I could give you some tips / pointers. Kids Magic shows definitely test your ability to think and react on your feet. I think it is a great experience and each one gets better and better.

Proud of you man. Sounds like you got some killer reactions and like David said, "There is always one or two in the group that shout....I know how you did that." 9 times out of 10 they are wrong and even when you think there is a slight chance they saw something or know the method....do not let on at all.

Remember what I told you about always give them more than what they paid for...sounds like it worked out to your benefit...ha ha. Nice job again bro.

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
I've only done this for my kids party's but now when there freinds come over they ask if I have any new tricks. This keeps me on my toes to learn new things. Sounds like even though you don't want to be labeled a "Kids" magicain you make a good one. I say keep taking all the gigs you can. Magic is magic and money is money. Good job.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
@sebaman: Gracias we...es complicado hacer magia para niños...sin embargo pienso que ayuda al crecimiento de uno como ilusionista, ya que tienes que estar listo para entretener a cualquier clase de audiencia....hay veces que no puedes elegir a quien haces magia y a quien no...saludos!!

@Reality One: David...thank you very much for your advice!! I really appreciate it!!

@R.K. Magician 78: I don´t want to be known as a kids magician..and as you say I am thinking of doing them just as side cash and experience...but if you don´t want to be recognized as a kids magician, don´t advertise it in your business cards or promo....

@mehar: thanks man! well...actually, they do like card tricks..just not to elaborate or confusing...

@reverhart: Thanks for the great advice Rick!! You were right about giving them more than they pay for....it really did work for me!! thanks again man!!

@Simply Magic14: Well...I think everything is experience...I am surprised also, to be able to entertain this kids for almost an hour (the show was supposed to last 30 minutes, instead it last 45) and yes...money is money...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results