A Magician's Journal-"Urban Legend Chronicles"-La Nuit

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Urban Legend Chronicles
"La Nuit"​

La Nuit is a famous nightclub here in my city...although it has gone throught several modifications and changes the main concept remains the same...loud music, alcohol, lots of girls and lots of money....while I don´t consider myself a person who like to go clubbing I must admit that I was eager to go to that place sometime...and today is that day!!

Phone rings...

"Hello?"
"Hey Luis!! what´s up!! how is it going?"
"great Mario!! so today is your birthday..have anything in mind?"
"Yes man!! I was hoping you could join us!! we are going to "La Nuit" wanna come?"
"Of course!! I would love to finally met that place..at what time?"
"at 11...see you at the entrance with my friends"
"Great...see you there!"

So...long story short...Mario is also a magician...a good one!!...but I feel he stills need to perform more for real people...anyway...I see great potential on him...I am glad we can call each other friends...

So I decide to not prepare a lot of material for tonight...after all..the point is to actually have fun and relax...so I only carry my deck...and my wallet...

La Nuit

I arrive just in time to catch my friends...and Mario salutes me and introduce me to his friends...when we a re heading to the entrance I surprisely get greeted by a girl...inmmediately I recognize her...as a friend´s sister...

"Luis!! please you have to help us!"
"What is the problem?"
"the guards won´t let us in"
"so...what?
"You need to help us!!"....NEED?
"I think the main problem here is that you are 16...no matter what...they won´t let you in"
"but...your friends and you must sneak us in..c´mon!! and I promise I introduce you to my friends"...what?...do she actually thinks this game will work with me?...things are very different now...
"Sorry..but still I cannot help you"
"c´mon...you must help us ...NOW!!!"
"I am sorry...I cannot help you....you might want to go to a restaurant over there...it has a kids area"
All the girls laugh loudly...except for her...anyway I say bye and leave...

"Who where those girls?" Mario asks...
"Just a bunch of kids"
"I thought so...let´s go in!!"

Inmmeditaly when I enter I realize this place is bigger than I expected...we are taken to a table and I really like the decorations and the use of a open area in the middle of the club (I am an architect after all...) so we seat and start to chat...

After some little time...the magic comes up...I really didn´t expect to perform today so I hand my deck to my friend Mario who is very eager to show us his magic...I must admit, I love watching magic!!! I got so little oportunities that when I get to see it, I forget that I am also a magician...I watch and I am very pleased with his routines...some of them I have no idea how he does them...

Anyway....it was just a matter of time before he hands he deck to me and tells me to show him some of my routines...Ok...I really don´t want to do it...because if I do it...I get so excited that I cannot actually stop...

"C´mon man!! I want to see your Rage Routine!!"
"mmm...ok...watch..."

I execute the Rage Routine and in a couple minutes I have lots of people around me, very eager to see more magic...so we alternate...one trick Mario and one trick myself...it´s good to actually colaborate each other to show magic...each trick we do gets better and better...and I enjoy having some good time...

After some performances, my friend tells me...

"Hey...see over there...a table full of hot chicks!!! we should go there and do magic for them...see if they give us their phones..." While I think that using magic to get phone numbers or girs attention is somehow lame...I do think is a great icebreaker...I think this could be fun...
"Yeah..what the heck?"
"But can you help me introducing us?"
"Sure..."

We approach and I just tell them

"Hey girls!! How is it going!!"
"Great" some of them look surprised..
"Awesome...have you met my friend Mario? He is a great magician!!" There you go...we are in...unfortunately...

"Hello buddy...the manager would like to talk to you on the bar" a waiter tells me...
"Why?"
"Are you the magician right?"
"Well...my friend and I are magicians..."
"Oh...don´t worry about him...I am sure he is having a great time" I beg to comply that...
"Ok..let´s go!!"

It seems the word of mouth works pretty fast...this could be a great "Urba Legend" chapter...

I am taken behind a big bar...and I am introduce to a guy and he tells me...

"Hello!! my name is Armando!! so...some of the waiters here tells me that you are a great magician...it´s been so long since a magician came here..."
"are you the manager here?" I ask
"No...I am the owner...of both "La Nuit" and "Indra" but I don´t like telling everyone that..."
"Ok...so what´s up?"
"Can you show us some magic? I totally love it!!!"

I just go ahead and show him some of my best impromptu magic...and I close with a signed coin bend...he applauds very loudly and so their friends...

"Oh Luis!! that was pretty awesome!!"
"Thanks...I appreciate that"
"I got an idea..give me your bussiness card and I´ll contact you this week...so we can work together something for my place...how´s that sound?"
"Great!! here it is..."
"Ok...love it, love it, LOVE IT!!!...Also...tell the waiter to bring me your bill...you are covered my friend!!" OMG!!! AWESOME!!! since we spent like 150 bucks (2000 pesos) tonight...it´would be a great help
"Thanks!!"

I return to the table and in a couple of minutes..we got all our money back....and everybody don´t understand why...so the waiter just tells them that is the manager´s wishes...anyway...nobody cares to ask how it happened..they just take the money...

After some more minutes I tell my friend Mario that I am leaving..since I am tired and want to have some good sleep...

"Sure man...I´ll go with you to the exit"
"Thanks...just one thing...Happy Birthday again...in case you are wondering...I got the owner to pay our bill...he loved our magic...so he decided to give it for free...just make sure your friends don´t order more...so it´s doesn´t look I am taking advantage...hope you liked your present!!"
"OH MAN!! You my friend are freakin awesome!!!"
"Thanks! see you in the week.."
"Ok...and good night...and thanks again!!!"

While I go to my car I realize the true potential of the "Urban Legend" project..although this wasn´t planned at all...if I put some effort and time to actually make it right...who knows what could happen in the future...

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 14, 2011
Haha^^^ @SebaMan :p

Anyways, I love reading these write ups! I think the value of just DOING your magic is pretty high. If I do magic for a group in class INSTANTLY I have people walking up to me asking for 'tricks' anyways, that was great. Hope everything goes well for you! :)

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
@iamreallybad Thanks Man!! I am glad you enjoyed that!! more to come!!

@sebaman...en realidad no es mucho...digo si van 8 personas y es entre todos...pues no es mucho jejeje...

@Jevonsp: yes....you can`t ever be certain of what is going to happen..that`s why you should always be ready for everything...thanks for the kind words!!

@everybody else: C`mon people!!! I want more opinions and posts!!!

Great read, thanks for sharing. Its always great to hear stories of real world experiences. Based on all your journals it looks like the word is spreading pretty wuick about your magic, congrats. Didn't you post on a journal a while back about a TV appearance? How's that going?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Nice work Luis. I'm telling you man, the word of mouth is going to spread like wild fire man. You are going to be a hit before you know it. Start to spread out of your area a tad too. Obviously all of the places right near you within 5-10 minutes know you. I would venture out a little further.

I love reading your real life experiences.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
@Illogical Illusionist: Thanks for the kind words...the Tv appearance has already happened...and I am writing the journal..you have to know something "Urban Legend Chronicles" and "A Magician´s Journal" are separate things...

@Schism169: Thanks Man!!! I love when somebody likes an idea!!

@RickEverhart: Thanks My Man!! I have great news for this!! look at the end of the post...by the way...thanks for your support my friend!!

@Mehar: Thanks man!! I do love this kind of performances...more to come!!

@Everybody: I just got a message from the owner of the first bar where I started "Urban Legend Project"...they want me to perform at their bar on the next month...and they are really looking forward for it!!! thanks everyone for reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good. Yea I understand that you post two separate journals and I understand the difference between both projects. Only asking of the TV appearance out of curiosity. Glad everything is going good for you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results