A Mirror's Reflection

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
A Mirror’s Reflection

Recently I received an IM from someone thinking themselves “cute” in which some of my views weren’t just being “challenged” but to the sender’s mind, “slammed” – he/she thought, or so it would seem, that a video by a comic that slams the precepts of “faith” would hurt me in that he/she did not consider the fact that I don’t buy into the Hebraic tales of Genesis or their precursor which pre-dates them by some 1,500 years (found in a cave located near Kashmir India). In fact, I believe whole-heartedly in Evolution and the general scientific idea as to how this planet and all the rest that makes up the Universe came into being. You see, this person ASSUMED something that was untrue, based on incomplete data and the personal assumption that when an individual expresses belief or support of one thing “fantastical” they must likewise buy into all the rest; said individual failing to recall that the majority of the world’s foremost physicists, chemist, mathematicians – SCIENTISTS & INTELLECTUALS up to and including the mid and late 20th century, we individuals of faith. In fact, many of them were ordained members of clergy. Similarly, many of the greatest minds within magic, including a certain Mr. Houdini, were likewise men of faith; hell, Howard Thurston was about to join a seminary prior to meeting up with Kellar.

So here we have a would-be smart-ass now standing with mud all over his face because he ASSUMED something about me that wasn’t even remotely close to the truth. Unwittingly, he likewise lit a spark under my fat tukkiss, which resulted in this particular post; one that will hopefully lend to all of you a bit of food for thought, maybe a hint of clarity and even more importantly, a challenge by which you may actually learn something you never knew when it comes to learning “true” Mentalism (though I do reference it in that FREE book I posted here a few weeks back).

For starters let me point out that Junior’s antics when it comes to the aforementioned video, come from a current trend within Magic that’s both, dangerous and on so many levels WRONG. Wrong in the sense that it encourages and extends a sense of deliberate aggression towards those that may believe in things you might personally not embrace. . . and for the record, I believe that this same wrong applies to all those “missionaries” that ring our door bells or leave those ignorant little comic books laying about town – anytime you attempt to force others to yield to your point of view – your “beliefs” – is simple WRONG on both, moral and ethical planes. Just as you would take affront to such gestures so do others when you mimic such madness. The problem is the Magician’s society has become impregnated by the LIE that being a Magician requires you to not believe in anything spiritual or phenomenal – if it is not based on analytical data, it cannot exist. An idea that is mirrored in today’s realms of higher education, even within those colleges that were founded and sponsored by this or that religious institution. Yet, we find the wake of this lie – the delusional idea that Intelligent People Cannot Believe in “God” or the Paranormal. . . again, based on the arrogant views held by a handful of mortals. . . the same kind of “clergy” that gave us the dominating cults of the past 2,000ish years.

Funny, how many of these intellects fail to see that they are forming a gospel in the same exact way their predecessors did – the very people who they now attempt to deny as the result of some invented religiosity.

But let’s ignore all such facts and take a look at the real issue or “challenge” here; the fact that properly studied and executed Mentalism mirrors, almost step for step, the path taken by a neophyte seeking a certain form of spiritual & mental “enlightenment” which just happens to include the expansion of consciousness – awareness.

QUESTION: How is the act of learning how to LISTEN and actually SEE one’s environment “Mystical” or anything outside logical analytical action?

Were you aware of the fact that Edgar Cayce, one of the foremost Psychic personalities of the mid-20th century, taught that being Psychic was nothing more than the expansion of one’s consciousness – one’s sensitivity and ability to connect with the finer “energy” set in one’s environment. For an example, those subtle tics and facial movements one might notice when playing a game of chance – the “tells” of a gambler, con-artist, liar, pick one.

It’s not “cheating” nor is it proof of “fraud” it is merely an analytical explanation as to how mystics were able to do some of the things they are known to have done. . . the very techniques psychology and other mental & emotional health sciences BORROWED and now use with the same regularity as you would find in the religious & psychic arena. Which makes one ponder if the reason we are taught to view such things with contempt actually involves cruel deception by the mystic or if the Mental Health industry itself, seeks a monopoly on said tactics and has thus, criminalize or “demonized” the very source from which they stole said skills and understanding? Granted, the scholars & researchers refined what was known to the mystics, but the real truth is, they borrowed from a known thing re-labeled it and called it their own. It’s an ancient practice that goes back millennia; you may want to check it out.

{End of Part One}

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
{Part II}

MENTALISM is a key axiom found within the Hermetic traditions of occultism – All is Mind; Mind is All. It is an idea echoed within the halls of science and academia in that it is our mind, our very thoughts and thought processes, that bring about the “miraculous” – uncanny engineering feats, cures for illness, understanding of how this or that affect the thought processing and emotions of others. It is a near endless list and there is absolutely no conflict between this tenet of mysticism and the whole science and intellect sense of perspective with but one small exception; the mystic understands things from a much finer, more elusive mode of process through which mental expression (a thought) is placed onto a different plane from which it can be evolved in a “mystical” manner until it becomes manifested in the real (physical) world. Even our unspoken or feared aspects of thought follow this hidden course, showing up in our lives as illness, loss, torment and a myriad of other things – self-fulfilled prophecy, as some would say.

When it comes to the Mystical side of Mentalism the neophyte is encouraged to do exercises the improve his/her ability to recall information on the most subtle of basis, to become instantly aware of a room’s layout (for example) and able to give a vividly accurate description of it after but a few seconds to look at it from the entrance way. It may seem strange, but how well would you do on such an exercise? How much detail are you able to discern and consciously apply when doing a “Reading” on someone aiding you in a routine?

This is a technique taught to professional salesmen, detectives, counselors, etc. and it was, for many years, a standard within stage Mentalism as well – a skill that’s been tossed to the whey-side it would seem and yet, it goes hand in hand with actual mysticism as does the related knack of “Muscle Reading” being it via direct contact or at a distance.

Harry Loraine himself pointed out how, just having a near photographic sense of recollection, leads people to think we are “Psychic” and yet, so many of the over-night wonders in today’s growing Mentalism trend, lack the desire and the discipline to cultivate said skills, understanding where they came from and giving acknowledgement to said fact.

Very, very little of “true” Mentalism involves deliberate deception – slight-of-hand or mechanical operation. Granted, psychology is a very big part of the craft just as it is to the ways of Mysticism; but what good is a Mystic if he/she wasn’t aware of certain logic and means of analysis? How would they appear to be “all knowing” and “wise” if they were ignorant, non-observant, and un-schooled? Frankly, I doubt you will find much in the way of historic record that does not support the fact that most mystics/wizards and even witches weren’t taken through a long range of initiations – graduations based on learning and ability. It was exactly like going to school in that the first things most mystics were taught was language, mathematics, understanding the signs within nature (weather, season changes, earth quake & other such forecasts, astrology, etc. )

I point these few things out simply to level the playing field; so many of the naysayers from within the magic world not having a clue as to how closely tied to mysticism all of magic is, but most especially Mentalism. For those that have a “calling” towards the more esoteric side of this craft, there is an amazing labyrinth to be travelled in which the subtle becomes empowering, beyond anything blatant trickery can conjure. That is not to say that the tricks & whistle don’t serve a purpose, they do! Especially when one strives to ENTERTAIN by way of mystery; if frivolity is set to the side you will lose! So there is reason for silliness and rhetoric – a time & season for all things, as some might say. But the Mentalist hosts a few obligations his Jester cousins do not, starting with the act of honoring others and respecting where they come from in way of beliefs, phobias, fears and even doubt. It’s not our place to proselytize on any grounds, but we are obliged to give the laity perspective from which they might make their own conclusions at a more educated level; always leaving the door opened to possibility.

Ours is that thick grey line that divides carnal reality from the etheric, not paint life in tones of black & white. As you’ve seen in this short treatise, things aren’t always what you might think they are – there’s always “more” to the greater portrait, so stop assuming certain things. Ask questions and dig deeper; choose to see both sides of the issues and in so doing you too will evolve into a true Mystic -- a 21st Century Wizard.

Think about it.

Nov 27, 2009
First, I enjoyed reading this essay. Second, your intro made me wonder how you were going to connect it to magic. When you eventually did make the connection I was not surprised, but I thought it was interesting.

I happen to be a Christian, and I have to say that while I don't agree with a few minor points of your essay (for the sake of the rest of the community, I'll not go into detail) I found it very educational and certainly something to think about. It may surprise you to know that I agree with you whole-heartedly on the point of not pushing a belief system on anyone.

For the sake of the rest of the community here, I will leave my reply at that. I dislike religious debates on magic forums as much as anyone, mainly because they never do any good.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
YRAMagicMan... though not directly expressed, the secondary point of this post centers on respecting others that have belief, be it a religious view such as your own, or belief in things fantastic; even the scientific/analytical view is a "belief" and is trying its best to become a new gospel of sorts; so much so that many established characters in the Skeptic's community have expressed great shame and are creating a distance between themselves and the more evangelic cynics that seem to be oozing out of the proverbial wood work.

Depending on which flavor or Christianity one belongs to there is a wide range of the "Miraculous" -- the power of prayer being common ground for most Christians (and Muslims for that matter) and yet, you have those that refer to "the Gifts of Pentecost" which have a very direct correspondence to the Psychic world when it comes to the concept of "gifts of the spirit". But this is just an example of the phenomenal sat outside the realm of traditional mysticism or "Occultism" as some would call it. Still, they are perceptions and elements of faith that get attacked and mocked in very cruel and rude ways by a growing faction within the magic community.

My "agenda" as some call it, isn't just to reveal how parallel the study of Mentalism is/was to mysticism (in its original form/prior to the late 1990s) but to likewise reveal to the self-invented naysayer that "Faith"/"Beliefs" about the phenomenal & miraculous is not limited to the Psychic/New Age types -- it is a huge encompassing thing in global culture and one's harshness and oft time razor-edged retorts are not the kind of thing a "Magician" should be associated with -- there is nothing about such actions that relate to "Class", Decorum, Taste, Etiquette, Intelligence or Wisdom let alone Dignity and the understanding that the very people you belittle and chastise were/are the folks that pay your rent -- the people you depend upon to hire you or buy tickets to your shows.

Being a bully has no place in magic even though a very small handful of individuals have been successful in manipulating circumstance that allows them to project that public image. . . for a while. . .

One Last Note. . . some in the "skeptic's" community likewise identify as "Christian" which I find to be very peculiar given how the very essence of Christianity is based on a combination of Prophecy and some rather spectacular Miracles; it's one of those paradoxes I see all the time such a Gay Republicans or the idea of Military Intelligence.

Nov 27, 2009
Your final note is interesting. I think you have found another of those oxymoron things.

I am from blend of Baptist and Methodist traditions to give you an idea of my background, though the Baptist side of things is more reasonable than some. For example when part of the Baptist church as a whole decided to ask its members to boycott Disney (the reason would probably have smoke coming out of your ears) my pastor decided to put a Mickey Mouse hat on the podium.

I am one who finds it sad, sometimes to the point of making me angry, when people attack others beliefs or push their own beliefs on someone. You seem to be the same way. I pray that someday others will see that attacking people does nothing good.

If you are interested I can point you towards a book written by Andé Kole on how many faith healers and psychics are frauds. If you aren't familiar with the name André Kole, he worked with David Copperfield on the development of several illusions. I would assume, from your apparent knowledge related things, that you have done your own research on this kind of thing, but I also know that another opinion and another view on any topic can be interesting, if not revealing.

At this point, I can see our conversation getting farther from magic and more into matters that would be better discussed through private messages. If you would like to continue this extremely interesting conversation, feel free to PM me. I'm open to hearing what you have to say, and willing to continue this as long as we both remain civil. I don't expect you to be uncivil in this discussion, but I always put that in there because, as you have pointed out, there are those who have a tendency to cross the line.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Andre and I have had several chats over the years, he's a wonderful man!

It does seem we agree far more than not and believe me when I say, it's a welcomed thing, as you've undoubtedly experienced yourself, it is a rare encounter.

Just a Touch. . . I grew-up Southern-Baptist and have some very fond memories of that little country church, etc. Being a minister is practically a family business but then we have several healers, readers and dowsers in the family as well, all working from a Christian perspective (though a touch of the American Indian stuff would sneak in here and there) At one point I was giving serious consideration to heading into the ministry myself and actually did get ordained as well as a life-achievement honors degree -- Doctorate of Divinity. My work in that arena however, is far more in the mode of theology minister and pseudo-historian; it confounds many because I don't fit a "niche" and am not easily defined; they want black & white and I deliberately stand in the grey.

Feel free to touch base any time, you seem to be more of a spiritually attuned human being vs. the more negative stereotype that manages to gain the medias attention.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results