A moment of "eureka..."

Sep 1, 2007
I was sitting in front of my computer a short while ago, trying to think of a good discussion topic I could post when suddenly the though occured to me:

"Why am I not practicing?"

I think everyone can practice more...

I hope that the irony of this thread is not lost on everyone...

Also, I you haven't seen "Flight of the Conchords," you should...

Sep 14, 2007
YES. Flight of the Conchords owns everything. (Except magic of course. :p) Nothing ironic here, but I was listening to Jenny as I read that. :p:D

I have only seen about two episodes but yes it is a great show, and also I always have cards in hand. I use them to get my mind moving. Like a thinking cap. But mildly more sophisticated and non imaginary.

MIchael

Sep 1, 2007
"I'm not crying, It's just been rainin'...on my face...These aren't tears of saddness that you're leavin' me, I've just been cuttin' onions, I'm makin' lasagna..."

"You're so beautiful, you could be a waitress, you could be an air hostess in the sixties, you're so beautiful, you could be a part-time model...let's get in a cab, I'll buy you a 'kabab,' and I can't believe, I'm sharaing a 'kabab' with the most beautiful girl I have ever seen..."

Love the Conchords.

But I think that you've got to do more than just hold cards in your hands to practice. I've been in front of my mirror for the past few hours, going through my routines over and over, at varying speeds, etc. I feel active practice helps more than passive practice.

I think there comes a time when all that practicing does is harden bad habits, build up nervousness, and overall doesn't help the performer. Don't get me wrong, you have to have the routines down for a successful show, but you also just have to suck it up and go on with the show, regardless of if you MIGHT mess up or not.

Practice is only good to a certain extent, then it's just bad IMO. Right now, I'm working on a coin routine of mine for Red Robin. I've been looking over coin magic a lot lately for some openers, but haven't found much that suits my style, angles, quickness, or just me.

I thought about Silver Dream, 3Fry, 3Fly, etc. Just nothing that really suits me. So these past few weeks I've been working on a 2 coin routine that also involves a nice story to it. That part, the patter, is CRUCIAL to my style. But then again, I'm not very creative. I only have 2 routines now that I personally came up with...but both are staples in my show. What I'm saying though, is that right now I'm practicing this coin routine...but come this Friday, I'm gonna through it in the show and see how it plays. I'm sure I'll mess up a few times, that's life. But, after I mess up enough, I'll start to learn what NOT to do, and how to change it....ahh, the benefit of workshopping a new routine. Both good and bad. LOL!

Best.
Steve

I sort of agree with Steve. I personally believe the best practice is experience, without the proper performing experience you will simply lock up and be unable to perform your sleights because of this built up nervousness. We need to push magicians to stop sitting in front of their computers and practicing, and start performing for real people.

Mitchell

Aug 31, 2007
Michael Ammar said that a single performance of a trick is like practising that trick for a week.

And if you dare to doubt his words... www.ammarfacts.com

He will haunt you. And kill.

- harapan. magic!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results