A performance question...

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
I was wondering if you all can give me some suggestions on what to say when you finish the trick and the specator says, "WOW how did you do that" I just say "magic" since the definition of magic is, the art of using illusions as entertainment or using sleight of hand. but the spectator doesn't know that so saying "its magic" is kinda like an illision if anyone understands what i'm saying. Anyways, any suggestions?

Aug 31, 2007
i usually just say something like "The exact same way im gonna do this..." and go into another trick

Sep 1, 2007
I also use the "Camera Tricks" line, gets a laugh. "Mirrors" is also good, if delivered deadpan.

One thing I do use regularly though is the concept of explaining how a trick is done as the presentation for a trick. You're leading them down the garden path a little with this, which makes your effect all the stronger. Without making it too easy, there's a great little trick on a certain magician's website which he explains for free (his trick, obviously) which fits this situation perfectly.

How did you do that? "Here, I'll teach you..." brings in their interest for your next big trick. Of course, this distracts them from the question so you don't have to deal with it, and if they ask again afterwards you can joke around - "hey, you did the magic, you tell me!"

Dec 28, 2007
What ever you say, try not to sound big headed.
I us a few in you hands routines and when people say how did you do that, i say "i dont know, you are holding the cards".

Often its just a knee jerk reaction and doesnt really need a reply.

If someone is really persistant then i just say "sorry its union rules".

A line I use quite often is:

"can you keep a secret?,..... Well so can I!!!"

Kind of corny, but it works, you can then go on and show them another trick, if they ask the same question again, you can reply with the same answer.:D

Hope this helps
Liam

Sep 2, 2007
Sometimes, I respond to "How did you do that?" by stating "with class" or "with style," which usually garners some laughter. Other times, I state "I'm not quite too sure either".

If there's some persistence, the response stated above -- "The same way I'm gonna do this..." -- works well, as it shifts attention to the succeeding effect. Also, if you know any vanishing effects (or are a fast runner), you can simply disappear. ;)

Cheers,
JTM

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results