A quick lame story... why?

Jan 15, 2008
in the royal court
i was performing yesterday in school some simple card and rubberband magic.. it got middle reactions (not good not bad) ... and the next day they all new how to do the trick... they had searched on youtube and got revealed... and go to show other people and !@#@! (mess up) and end up revealing the trick... crap.. how can i avoid this things.... gives me bad reputation... what y'all think about it?

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
School is a crappy place to do magic, because everyone is competing with everyone else and the "me too" culture is rampant. If you do something, everyone else wants to do it, too. So you have to make sure whatever you do is sufficiently obscure. Search YouTube and Google on your own to make sure the trick isn't easily exposed.

And if the whistle is blown on the trick anyway, why not just teach people how to do it? The genie's already out of the bottle. If Joe Idiot is just going to go learn it from YouTube anyway, you may as well teach him properly and keep him off YouTube. The big problem isn't that Joe goes to YouTube and learns your trick, but that he goes there and learns a dozen tricks by clicking in the "related videos" list. People are lazy; once you get them started on something, they'll tend to keep doing it. Occupy him with practicing a magic trick instead of searching for exposure videos, and the art is better for it.

I'm going to be crucified for that suggestion, I just know it.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
School is a crappy place to do magic, because everyone is competing with everyone else and the "me too" culture is rampant. If you do something, everyone else wants to do it, too. So you have to make sure whatever you do is sufficiently obscure. Search YouTube and Google on your own to make sure the trick isn't easily exposed.

And if the whistle is blown on the trick anyway, why not just teach people how to do it? The genie's already out of the bottle. If Joe Idiot is just going to go learn it from YouTube anyway, you may as well teach him properly and keep him off YouTube. The big problem isn't that Joe goes to YouTube and learns your trick, but that he goes there and learns a dozen tricks by clicking in the "related videos" list. People are lazy; once you get them started on something, they'll tend to keep doing it. Occupy him with practicing a magic trick instead of searching for exposure videos, and the art is better for it.

I'm going to be crucified for that suggestion, I just know it.

I wouldn't show them to begin with, however...

If they look it up then show people, and you see them mess up. They already know the method. At this point it would probably be better to teach one person the right way to do it, as opposed to him messing up and exposing the method to 10 people.

-ThrallMind

Nov 30, 2007
practice more if you are messing up. but if people are looking it up i guess you cant really help that.

Sep 1, 2007
neverb say the name of the trick my god!;)

Indeed friend, not saying the name of the trick is a staple idea. Also, try to do simple moves where it does not even look as if you did anything (lots of practice helps with this). Also, rubber band and card magic are very popular, but how about doing some simple coin stuff or some rope things? it is hard to find the rope to do magic with, and younoobs do not often know how to do amazing tricks with simple objects. Also, things like nightshades or fraud with dollar bills is always and effective method to show that real magicians use anything they have.

Jan 5, 2008
Drury Lane

Wow. Short but sweet.
Once, I was performing tricks to my friends, and they got all hyped up. My other friend behind me who knew the names of my tricks said "Oh hey Mark! Do [Deja Vu!]"
This was one of my favorite and perfected tricks, and suddenly, my audience wondered "Hunh? Deja vu?" "I wanna see!"
Telling a single person the name of my signature trick was the biggest mistake I ever made.
Now that my audience knew the name of the trick, this canceled any entries of doing any other tricks. One location knocked off my list.

D

Deleted member 2755

I know what you mean and I hate it.... I have this one kid that knows this guy in college that just goes around exposing magic. It makes me feel like Cr@p. Everyday this kid goes into class and says to me "Hey Doug, I know how you *insert trick here*." It's frustrating.

Just simply say you won't perform for them if they look it up. Explain to them why they shouldn't look it up, and if their reaction is like "Well, I don't care. I just want to know how it's done." Simply don't perform for that person (especially if he/she goes around tell everybody). Magic in school is quite frustrating. I even have a kid that refuses to talk to me until I tell him how I put a nickel in a water bottle. Needless to say I don't give in or perform for this person. Pretty sick, he actually won't talk to me.

Rather pathetic. Anyway, good luck with your issue. I hope my advice was of some use to you.

-Doug

Jan 27, 2008
i was performing yesterday in school some simple card and rubberband magic.. it got middle reactions (not good not bad) ... and the next day they all new how to do the trick... they had searched on youtube and got revealed... and go to show other people and !@#@! (mess up) and end up revealing the trick... crap.. how can i avoid this things.... gives me bad reputation... what y'all think about it?

Avoid performing at schools. Simple as that. I hate performing for those kind of audiences as most of them are inconsiderate punks who can't stand someone being in the spotlight other than them.

Do NOT perform for about a month or two (or THREE). Practice your magic in between and add some older material to your repertoire, that way your Youtube-exposure proof!

After time has passed and you have mastered your material, go out and perform.

..:Z:..

Jan 15, 2008
in the royal court
yeah, well i didnt say the name but.... (i dont even know the name myself) s=of some rubber bamd magic... they just search it and poof the are !@#@! !#!@#!@#$@#$ @#$#@!@#!@3 @#$@#$ and start to !@#!@#!@#

Dec 21, 2007
Okay, when your at school don't do small time tricks, never give out the names of tricks or websites...

Easy as that... and when the teacher turns out the lights and uses the overhead projector... you use loops and mess everyone up and they now think you sold your soul to the devil...

2 card monte...
card to mouth...

any style trick like that... is perfect...
ppl look like they say a ufo...
leave em astonished.

Well, usually when I perform at school people will ask where I learn magic, and I usually either say "Harry Potter" or "From the professionals at lectures." Even though i've never been to a lecture, and they have no idea what a lecture is, telling them that plants the idea in their head that it can't be learned on the internet. I've never had this problem before in my life.

Anthony Bass

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA

He11 yes. I did muscle pass to my friend. Next day in class he said he searched YT for it but couldn't find it. I was happy. But he did find out how to do sinful and other stuff. Damn. Never ever say what the trick is called. If someone asks, say something like, "IDK, I learned it at hogwarts".

Oct 6, 2007
I haven't ever encountered any problems with performing at school. I perform at school when I get the chance, or if I feel like amazing people that day :p. Yes, I have shown some tricks where some friends did know the secret, but it surely not because of Youtube, or because someone exposed it to them.

My best advice is to pick your audience carefully, which is what I do. However, it DOES constrict you to performing for fewer people and restreict you to some performing conditions, but I must say that this is better than having everyone know the method to your trick!

I usually perform to friends, or at least people I know will not search 'magic trick exposed' on the web. I once performed for a friend who knew the secret to 2 Card Monte (part of it at least), but since he was a good guy and my friend, he didn't tell anyone.

The type of people you want to perform for are:

Loyal Friends (ones who won't tell everyone the method)
Laid Back people who just want to witness magic.
NICE people.
People that you know will not look up secrets

Sorry if the list above is very vague, but I cannot really explain who to perform to. When I perform, I am never afraid of them looking up the trick- probably 'cause people in my school are awesome!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results