A rant.

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
There has to be something said about being able to pass right in front of a spectators eyes. It's not required,, no sleight is really "required" as you can always control a card in some fashion in order to get it where you want it. But being able to pass right in front of someones face and keep it invisible is very satisfying.

Sep 1, 2007
I am not cultish; I use the pass when it is the best tool for the job.

Which just happens to be not very often at all.

Sep 7, 2007
When isnt the pass the best tool for the job?
I find it very versatile and think that it can be used in most situations.
Isnt a card control often just a card control?
I mean if you have a certain pattern that justifies some other control or makes the trick better with any other control, then of course use that. But if youre reading a trick description that says"control the card to the top with your favourite control". Why not use a pass?
The pass is very deceptive when used in the right moment. Why not use it if you like it?

I dont think the pass is overused at all. Isnt the "hype" around the pass based on Erdnases quote "The shift has yet to be invented ...that can be executed with the hands held stationary and not show that some manuever has taken place, however cleverly it may be performed."?
Id say that the double lift is a move that is being used too much.

Oct 17, 2007
SG
I dont think the pass is overused at all. Isnt the "hype" around the pass based on Erdnases quote "The shift has yet to be invented ...that can be executed with the hands held stationary and not show that some manuever has taken place, however cleverly it may be performed."?
Id say that the double lift is a move that is being used too much.

Agreed. Erdnase himself offers some solutions, however they are extremely angle sensitive. (SWE shift, Open shift)

He still recommends the classic pass though, of which he says the packets can be transposed 'in a flash' and 'without the least noise'. I'm quoting from memory so I can't be 100% sure, but he highly favors the classic pass.

Erdnase could probably perform it faster than the Akira pass and most masters of his day probably could as well. In many places in the book (especially the trick section) his description infers that is it possible to pass and palm the card in one motion invisibly.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I think the Pass "cult" has developed simply because magicians want to be able to say, "Look how fast my Pass is!", and therefore claim to be better than other magicians. But, what's the point in this useless competition? I for one have never used a Pass... I, like Shodan, feel it's unneccessary. Hell, I don't think I could even get away with it, as I haven't even taken the time to use it. Remember, I am talking about the Classic Pass here. There are other Passes that I love to use, including Gregory Wilson's Backstage Pass, and the Out-Jog Spread Pass.

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
"I would only use it if it makes a routine better or more magical."

Wesley got it in a nutshell right there. Every sleight that you use should be selected using this criteria. Better means more streamlined, more magical, more practical.

if you keep doing the pass in your whole routine every time to control a card people are gonna figure out what you are up to.

Oct 17, 2007
SG
if you keep doing the pass in your whole routine every time to control a card people are gonna figure out what you are up to.

I can say the same thing about the double lift, DDC, side steal, double undercut, illogical control etc.

Lay people are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. That's why there are so many controls to choose from. Keep em' guessing.

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
I can say the same thing about the double lift, DDC, side steal, double undercut, illogical control etc.

Lay people are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. That's why there are so many controls to choose from. Keep em' guessing.

should definitely mix them up if you need to control a card many times.

it will look more natural and better as a whole.

doing the double undercut for example like 5 times in a row will look really stupid.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results