A Witness to the power of WITNESS...

Jan 25, 2008
i hope you guys get the chance to read this... to all those who thought witness as a weak effect like i used to, i hope this will change your mind...

january 25, 2008
people's park philippines

i was with my group "salamangca de davao" doing some magic at the park and i was thinking to myself, "i have a ziploc bag for the sandwich i used to have. should i try indecent?". I rushed to get the thing i use for indecent but i couldn't find it. I must've dropped it. I was left with a back up plan. Perform witness. This thing just popped out of my mind. But then i thought this was an opportunity to test the power of witness also so i went ahead and did it. People were giggling and many were in awe and in the finale, the ziploc bag with the wild joker came in to play. This was the moment of truth for me and for witness... i had a huge crowd. I chose to work with the two ladies closest to my right and to my left. I did the routine... The crowd at my right were all loud and they were all over the place... i floored them. So was the crowd at my left side... BUt then i wasn't satisfied. I felt like i failed. THe girl on my left wasn't even reacting. she was just giving me the "okay" face. I was very disappointed with witness. I said i'll never try it again... after thanking the audience i sat down at a near by bench as they all went their own ways. a minute later, i took a glance behind me to look for some prospects whe i saw the girl that i mentioned was on my left side with her friends. Check this out....

She was teary eyed
her friends' eyes were wide open
they were talking about something
they looked confused
they looked stunned
she was shaking the bag
she was pointing at the bag and the card
she was telling them that "this was a joker a while ago! how the F did this become my card??? this is just impossible!"
they stood there and stared at the bag and the card
They stood there for more than a minute going on and on and on with the bag and the card that changed to their card. as they walked away, i saw them and heard them still talking about it....

I guess the greatest moments in magic aren't always the loudest reactions...

as i understood from the book of astonishment, it's when someone stops rationalizing the effect and take it as it is. This is what i have made them experience. I thought i failed a while ago... but then when i saw them stunned after all that, i was back to my feet with my teary eyes because of satisfaction after seeing the astonishment in their faces.

The greatest moments in magic are created in the simplest of ways and astonishment of great degree are revealed for the world to see, often times in the most quiet of all manners and building up to an intense experience.

this is my story as a witness to the power of witness...

cheers

-jokoymagicman

Oct 17, 2007
pinoy..

Hello there Jokoymagicman..

Im glad to hear a brother here in the forum.. Respect!..
Witness is a great effect when proper execution is done.. and with that i say you did a nice job.. as you've said.. you floored it.
i really love the effect especially the simplicity and the great misdirections.

Regards to the magicians of davao..
more power to you guys..

Oct 8, 2007
nice.. more Pinoys :D

Glad to hear that you did a good performance, keep it up! I think you're right about what you said. It's not always about the loud reactions. Sometimes, dead silence is enough to tell you that they just saw magic right before their eyes.

Mabuhay! lol :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 8, 2007
Btw, i don't know why you thought Witness wasn't as powerful as it is. It's reminiscient of Sankey's Paperclipped, which is very good too. And it also reminds me of Copperfield's graffiti wall. I personally like them and they are really the kind of tricks that floor the spectators.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Great story. The reactions like those are what I live for. Sure, the screaming looks good on tape, but the silent reactions are much more personal.

On another note, iq92 please don't double post.

David

D

Deleted member 2755

Hey! Awesome first post here on the forums, and I'm glad you had a great time! :D I'm having a small problem with Witness right now (I can't say what it is without exposing it), but this just inspires me to practice it more! :D Lee Asher is awesome! Again, welcome to the forums and great job!

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
Hong Kong
jokoymagicman, how did you drop the "thing" required for indecent and you could end up doing WITNESS?
WITNESS requires more "things" than indecent does, unless the you dropped was a sharpie marker.

Oct 8, 2007
Yeah, really sorry about the double post. It happens when the computer lags and i click on the post links. But there, i said what i wanted to say in those 2 posts.

BTW, i read through it again. I perform Indecent with just the ziploc bag, so what was that "thing"?

Jan 11, 2008
I performed Witness last night and blew away a girl who came to eat dinner at my parent's house. Witness is very easy yet so very powerful. Great story man.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I'm disappointed that you underestimated Witness. It is by far one of the most powerful effects in my arsenal. I had a 15 year old offer me $40 to come perform at his birthday party because of this effect. He wasn't joking, either. It takes a seriously powerful effect for that to happen, I think.

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
I'm disappointed that you underestimated Witness. It is by far one of the most powerful effects in my arsenal. I had a 15 year old offer me $40 to come perform at his birthday party because of this effect. He wasn't joking, either. It takes a seriously powerful effect for that to happen, I think.

I agree Witness is a reputation maker.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Witness is one of those effects where simplicity is so powerful.

I perform "Witness" from Asher's Notes but I am going to purchase the Witness DVD soon enough just to watch Asher perform and teach.

If any of you don't have Witness I suggest you purchase it now. A perfect simple and mind boggling effect. Not an effect you will throw away.

Jan 25, 2008
hmmm... since i've been asked twice or more why i thought it was weak, i might as well post why... so here it is.

honestly, my cousin showed me this and immediately i knew how he did it. i never really appreciated it from that point on. It looked too easy to be that powerful and considering how filipino crowds think, i placed this effect in the safety box. But suddenly, i thought to myself... Maybe i should borrow the dvd from my cousin and view the whole effect. the psychology behind it amazed me. But still it wasn't enough to push me to perform. there was a little appreciation.

and then on that fateful night, i lost the thing i use for indecent. so, i went on to try witness and got the reaction i just described. My judgements about witness were shattered. It is now in my reputation makers list...

cheers! :)

Aug 1, 2008
Hope your group Salamangca De Davao can jam with us CERCA TROVA of Cebu.. We'll go there this August for the upcoming festival.. We'll do a photo shoot & a video shoot of our performance.. We also have members to visit.. check out www.cercatrova.proboards83.com for more details.. Galing jokoymagicman!

i am glad that you've had this expiriance. And you are right. Sometimes the people who keep quiet and don't scream and yell and swear are the ones who the trick efects the most. Once you understand this it makes you an even better magician. good for you on figuring this out...

Aug 4, 2008
hello there, im also from Davao and im a beginner in magic. Btw can I join in SdD to be able for me to learn more tricks, how to make a perfect patter when doing a trick and to develop new skill. Thanks bro.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results