Acme Hole by Lloyd Barnes Review

Do you agree or disagree about magic should be tested in live situations before it's released?

• Agree

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Disagree

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
Oh boy I can't wait to see the can of worms I open with this one....

Sorry for the length of video. I just had a lot I had to get off my chest. My next reviews won't be nearly as long. Would love to hear all of your thoughts on this though whether you agree or disagree with me. I hope you will watch the whole thing to see all the points that I make.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I think the thing to consider here is that Instagram/YouTube magic is a niche market that magic companies are active catering towards.

What this means is means is that we have to have 'additional filters' when it comes to magic purchases.

Personally, I acquire my magic on a shoestring budget. So any choices I do make HAVE to be ones that I'm absolutely certain that I will be using AND ones where I can deduce how it can be applied by the trailer and a bit of research.

With 'Instagram magic', which is something I believe 'Acme Hole' falls under. I don't think a live performance is necessary for a proof of concept in a trailer. Because, from what it sounds like, it can't hold water in a live performance. BUT, under the right conditions, can be filmed so that it looks flawless.

Instagram magic is the new market now.

And with that, I will say that when we are shopping around for magic and have just the trailers to go off of, the big thing to keep in mind is what they AREN'T telling or showing you.

In this case, no live performance. Another thing to look for: camera angles. Is every shot of the trick being done at a certain angle?

I wild encourage more people to watch trailers and try and figure out what REALLY is going on. Sometimes, you can figure out the entire trick by the trailer. Other times, you can figure out enough to determine if it's worth purchasing now, wait for reviews to make a purchase, or not at all.

It helps broadening ones knowledge in magic to be able to notice (pun intended) 'sleight things'.

Reactions: CWhite
What this means is means is that we have to have 'additional filters' when it comes to magic purchases.
If they created a new label for selling magic such as "camera only effect" then I would have no problem with that since my false advertisement complaint goes away and that would be a very pro-consumer option.

And with that, I will say that when we are shopping around for magic and have just the trailers to go off of, the big thing to keep in mind is what they AREN'T telling or showing you.

In this case, no live performance. Another thing to look for: camera angles. Is every shot of the trick being done at a certain angle?

I wild encourage more people to watch trailers and try and figure out what REALLY is going on. Sometimes, you can figure out the entire trick by the trailer. Other times, you can figure out enough to determine if it's worth purchasing now, wait for reviews to make a purchase, or not at all.

It helps broadening ones knowledge in magic to be able to notice (pun intended) 'sleight things'.
This is so true! I think I may try to do a video project explaining my process of deciding whether I should purchase a magic effect or not. This particular industry is so difficult since we can't have all the information needed to know whether a purchase is truly worth it or not until the purchase is made.

However wouldn't publicly branding it like that ruin the "magic" and "mysticism" of the trick to both magicians and to laymen?
I don't think so since you still wouldn't know how it works until you see the tutorial. Plus laymen don't really go on magic sites unless they are buying gifts for a magician. So if the purpose is to entertain laymen and specifically to laymen on social media, I don't think branding it that way would cause any issues.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results