Addiction

Tam-

MOST of us here know how addicting and how fun magic/cardistry is..maybe even a little too addicting?

In this thread, I basically wanted to hear and see if there are people like me who have trouble with progressing in:
(1)skill of cardistry/magic because of work/education and more..
OR trouble with
(2)progressing in work/education and life because of cardistry/magic etc.

.. and also how you deal with it.

This might be a little confusing since some of you might now have this experience so I will start with myself as an example: I have both problems 1 and 2.

I am currently 15. I will NEVER regret ever starting flourishing and magic. This hobby has changed how I am and will be. Am I too addicted? I dont know. I think I need to ask my doctor:p, but even if I am, there is no way I will quit...but.. there are signs everywhere telling me "quit tam QUIT".."quit now or you will regret it"..."your ruining your life!". Im realizing now that im so into it, i cant live without it.

The signs I was talking about is stuff like education, work, for some of us our parents and maybe even friends.

From when I started, i noticed my marks dropping in school from not spending enough time in study. I realized what I had to do but I dont have it in me to drop the cards and forget about them.

My parents never really liked the idea of playing with cards. They always said it was a waste of my time. I always had a lot of extra curricular activities and some of them i never really enjoyed but I did not take of for granted and I tried hard...until..you know what came along. They are still telling me to stop the card-work. It is not like i dont want to listen to them but...some of you might understand.

Im working now to create a schedule and be organized with my time between priority, and hobby. (Thanks to Garry A, a good friend of mine who also is a flourisher for pushing me on track):)

If there are advices out there for this problem please tell me. Its greatly appreciated and please also state your experience with this problem if you have it so we can compare and hopefully give not only me but everyone with the same problem a proper direction.

-Tam

(ps. if there is any offensive material or anything of that nature, please tell me, i will take it off rignt away as i didnt mean to)

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
The only way that I can tell that I'm addicted is by the amount of magic/cardistry items I'm accumulated over the past year I've been doing magic. I have the Ellusionist closeup bag and it is already filled to the brim with DVD's and decks, and I've got at least 7 more DVD's that wont even fit in there.

I have had to have spent close to a thousand dollars this year already.

Shane K.

Well I can control when I need to practice with cards and I need to do my other priorities. I always finish homework or anything I need to with enough time to practice about 1-2 hours a day for an effect I want to master. Whether it be cards, or an effect like Bullet, you just have to be able to manage your schedule.

-RA69

Sep 10, 2007
Well...it's a really good thing that I can't really buy much material. Basically, I'm stuck with the same stuff for a long time, so I get to practice everything until they are almost perfect. That's one thing you could do. Just stop buying things and learning new things for a while. You can still practice card stuff while you do your homework, or what I do is whenever I get free time during school, I whip out the old deck and practice. Lunch, free time during class, free period, sometimes during class, and in the hallways. Or, you could just stop totally. Almost everyone takes a magic break. It's one of the most important things.

What this will do is allow time for you to get back on track with other things, and your parents will be happier. Then, you can slowly (SLOWLY) start to do card stuff and learn. This way, you ease into good habits. I'm also 15 so...I can sympathize.

Good luck.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I consider myself addicted... it's like a drug! However, I still get good grades in school, and I have no trouble advancing in cardistry... I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Oh, and I'll be 15 mid-December, so...

Last edited by a moderator:

DK.

Sep 26, 2007
Just rip up a piece of paper and flourish with the ripped piece of paper.
You will get pissed off sooner or later and quit ^_-

Its not really and addiction, you just enjoy it and you don't want to loose your skills because you put so much effort into it, its just like playing a game. Once you reach lvl 69 in world of warcraft you wouldnt want to quit even though you are gonna take a year to frigging get a epic flying mount >.<ERUHUISsdf

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
Every time I go to the store I end up buying at least one deck of cards. At the PX in Baghdad they currently sell Bikes for 1.50 each deck, so I typically buy 10 or so at a time. ;D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results