Advice on the False Count...

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
So i'm actually practicing a trick that requires a false count , i out jog 4 cards , which are 3 aces and 1 random card but i only strip out the 3 aces and push the random card back in. So my question is will i get caught if i false count the 3 cards as 4 aces , counting the ace of heart twice .... ? I do it very cleanly but it seems kinda risky for me. Did u ever get caught false counting ?

Th4nk Y0u

May 3, 2008
I guarantee that if you do it fast nobody will notice. If you are still a bit cautions though try just doing it face down.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
If you do it natural and smooth, nobody will question it.

They see 4 aces, two were red, two were black and one of the black ones was fancy.

Don't seem nervous doing it, and you should be fine.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Don't need to do it fast, only smoothly. Which is not to say you can perform as a 120 year old lady with arthritis - keep it brisk, but don't rush it. The main thing is getting each motion even with all the others. There's a great handling of the traditional Elmsley Count (I assume you're using the Elmsley) in Jon Racherbaumer's Card Finesse II which I now use in case you're particularly interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 18, 2008
Most of the time you can even get away with showing the club or spade twice, I wouldn't recommend it but that shows how much spectators pay attention to that kinda stuff.

Aug 4, 2009
Don't need to do it fast, only smoothly. Which is not to say you can perform as a 120 year old lady with arthritis - keep it brisk, but don't rush it. The main thing is getting each motion even with all the others. There's a great handling of the traditional Elmsley Count (I assume you're using the Elmsley) in Jon Racherbaumer's Card Finesse II which I now use in case you're particularly interested.

I agree... smoothness is more important than speed.. I've been told that my (false) count was too quick to follow which made it suspicious for the spectator.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results