Agatha - Irving Quant

Sep 1, 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, just bought this, practicing as we speak, so I thought I'd write a review. I'll update this later when I perform it, I just felt I should write this review as there is an issue I have with the effect that should be known to people looking to buy it. Anyways, we'll touch on that in a little bit, for now...

What they say- This beautifully constructed handling of Mr. Goodwin’s “Slap Exchange” (At the Expense of Grey Matter, 1989) allows four cards to be lodged face-up in the deck before they are made to transpose with four others. Agatha eliminates the many sleight-heavy maneuvers needed to accomplish previous methods and provides a direct solution to a classic card problem. This effect is completely impromptu using only sleight of hand and the ingenious thinking of Irving Quant.

What I say- I like this trick. It seems like a real worker. Its easy to do(will have it down pat in a couple days) and its visual. Irving is a fine teacher, you shouldn't have any questions. I feel like I was cheated a little though, because what you see in the video isn't exactly what you get.

They left out a cruical part of the trick...the clean up. Correction...they didn't do the clean up. The effect performed in the video is not impromptu. It uses an extra somethin somethin. In reality you have to do a clean up that is quite angly(Which is why one would think they didn't show it in the demo) Now I have to think of another clean up, and I doubt I could come up with one that isn't very angly.

My problem isn't that the clean up has some tough angles. There are tons of great tricks and sleights out there that are angle sensitive. My problem is they neglected to show it in the demo, and used a duplicate card. Just show the clean up! I can't see any reason why they wouldnt...unless Irving himself couldn't execute the clean up...or they wanted to make it look cleaner than it really is.

Again, I like the trick, it looks great, I was just left with a bitter taste in my mouth because they didn't keep their promises.

As I said, its pretty easy, I'll have it down in a couple days.

One other thing I noticed is that in the demo Irving doesn't really handle this as clean as it could be. He makes the change look awkward, and the inserting of the Kings in the beginning of the trick looks awkward. Maybe he was nervous infront of the camera (Which I completly understand) I just wanted to point out you can be more chill about it and not be so tense with the cards.

Production quality is great, as you all know.

Overall this was a decent purchase, I'm just pretty annoyed about the Demo thing. Hopefully the Bucks can upload a real full performance.

Nick

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Yeah i got this yesterday.

I really liked it and was enjoying the video thinking it was great until he showed the clean up.

The trick is fantastic until the clean up, but the clean up is so angly that i would not want to do it for more then 1 or two people. Shame on such a great trick.

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Note, the following is from someone who hasn't seen the trick or the video of the trick yet:

Why can't YOU just use a duplicate as well? Spectators won't notice a thing...?

Or does the trick not work if you use a duplicate, like it's really obvious?

Apologies for the ignorance,

-Sanj

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Sure you can use a extra card, if i use it i probably will. But the add says :

"This beautifully constructed handling of Mr. Goodwin’s “Slap Exchange” (At the Expense of Grey Matter, 1989) allows four cards to be lodged face-up in the deck before they are made to transpose with four others. Agatha eliminates the many sleight-heavy maneuvers needed to accomplish previous methods and provides a direct solution to a classic card problem. This effect is completely impromptu using only sleight of hand and the ingenious thinking of Irving Quant."

Why show a preview video where he uses a method that is not impromptu? And say it is impromptu?

Sure the effect is impromptu that they teach you, but the version in the preview is not impromptu.

Sep 16, 2009
I was so disappointed when I saw all the big time bottom-of-the-deck flash in the video. Irving has some great card handling and a natural motion in his hands every magician would love to have, why didn't he just use it? Who's idea was it that it would've looked better in the dirty way? And who thought of the camera angles when shooting the preview? If that was the same guy it would've been a pretty bad fail.:eek::p

Anyhow, anyone who is having angle problems, make this routine your own so it suits your 'people almost all around me' situations. It's really not that hard to do that with this routine.

So in the end it's just fiiine. I didn't purchase it though but I wouldn't have expect Irving to teach it the dirty way anyways. So hurrah for a 8-card Tivo.:D

Jun 20, 2009
near paris
i bought the on demand of Agatha, i 'm surprised ! did they change the video ?
because there is no extra card, no gimmick ,no set up (you need a deck , four aces four kings,but may be this is a set up for someone ) and a clean up !
it's just a very good effect
you can buy it it's very good

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results