An effect by Dynamo

Oct 14, 2013
Yeah, I found that after seeing the effect. I like it, but I'd still like to find out how Dynamo does his right up in their face like that.

I thought about Dan Harlan's Minotaur, so if anyone who has purchased it comes across this thread, don't hesitate to give me a yes or no on whether or not it teaches this effect. Thanks! :)

Apr 17, 2013
I'm just going to throw this out there. You know these guy have a team of magician behind them and many times they are original effects that are not for sell right?

Sep 1, 2007
I'm just going to throw this out there. You know these guy have a team of magician behind them and many times they are original effects that are not for sell right?

You mean there are things in this world that aren't for sale or at least available on torrent sites? That's stupid! The world was made to serve us, and we demand the ability to rip off other performers' material immediately, damnit!

Now, if one were truly interested in learning something similar along with some other hidden gems, there is a certain out-of-print manuscript I could name that one might be able to track down eventually. I could... but I don't particularly feel like it at this moment.

Apr 17, 2013
You mean there are things in this world that aren't for sale or at least available on torrent sites? That's stupid! The world was made to serve us, and we demand the ability to rip off other performers' material immediately, damnit!

Now, if one were truly interested in learning something similar along with some other hidden gems, there is a certain out-of-print manuscript I could name that one might be able to track down eventually. I could... but I don't particularly feel like it at this moment.

I know. Like half my formal close up set and my parlor set are my own stuff. The rest is either some commercial effects and stuff from books printed before the 1950's. I even have a whole parlor act that is from a book printed in the 1880's.

Oct 14, 2013

I get what you're saying, but you're sarcasm isn't needed. Alot of the effects that dynamo does isn't original, which is why I asked. I'm looking for help as an aspiring magician, not mockery. So if you're going to tease, please don't post replies on my threads. Thank you. :)

Sep 1, 2007
I get what you're saying, but you're sarcasm isn't needed. Alot of the effects that dynamo does isn't original, which is why I asked. I'm looking for help as an aspiring magician, not mockery. So if you're going to tease, please don't post replies on my threads. Thank you. :)

Look at it from my perspective. I've been working semi-professionally and professionally since 2007. Every time a magician gets on TV, we get a bunch of guys coming on asking, "Where can I buy this trick?" You find out that most of these kids don't even have the basics down yet. In the background, you have people decrying piracy when you know at least have of them have torrented something in their lives. How many times before you just snap? How many times can you cut and paste the same stock answers that inevitably get ignored before the little shoulder devil's advice starts sounding a lot more amusing? This particular nerve is still a bit raw, which is further exacerbated for reasons I'd rather not talk about right now.

You want help as an aspiring magician? Ask for that. Tell me what books you have and I'll tell you where to fill in the gaps. We have a bunch of threads recent and otherwise of guys who haven't read Royal Road, but think they can pull off some really complex stuff they saw on TV, which is a bit like knowing only two chords on a guitar and asking for a tab of Painkiller by Judas Priest. And despite the pros telling them to change gears, they go out and buy the first DVD that gets recommended to them anyway and 6 months later we're right back where we started. I would be thrilled to see the cycle break for once.

Oct 14, 2013
Well, I do understand and respect where you're coming from. It's in no way my intention to try to cheat my way through as a magic enthusiast. If I have been doing that without realizing it, I do apologize. But what can you expect from a newbie with barely any guidance, right?

I'm going to be honest and confess that I don't own any books on magic right now, but I do own the In The Beginning there were coins DVD by Jay Noblezada. Other than that, I've been learning from Youtube. I plan on buying royal road, the approach, and tarbell to get a solid foundation in this art. If you have any other suggestions as to what else I should start off with, I would really appreciate it! Also, if you ever feel like naming that out-of-print manuscript that you mentioned above, that would be really awesome, too! :D

I've always wanted a mentor, and I feel like the closest thing to that that I can get to right now is the advice of magic veterans out there, such as yourself. Maybe I could update you on my progress from time to time, and you could offer more suggestions?

Oct 14, 2013
Well, I do understand and respect where you're coming from. It's in no way my intention to try to cheat my way through as a magic enthusiast. If I have been doing that without realizing it, I do apologize. But what can you expect from a newbie with barely any guidance, right?

I'm going to be honest and confess that I don't own any books on magic right now, but I do own the In The Beginning there were coins DVD by Jay Noblezada. Other than that, I've been learning from Youtube. I plan on buying royal road, the approach, and tarbell to get a solid foundation in this art. If you have any other suggestions as to what else I should start off with, I would really appreciate it! Also, if you ever feel like naming that out-of-print manuscript that you mentioned above, that would be really awesome, too! :D

I've always wanted a mentor, and I feel like the closest thing to that that I can get to right now is the advice of magic veterans out there, such as yourself. Maybe I could update you on my progress from time to time, and you could offer more suggestions?

Sep 1, 2007

I get that I come across like a prickly dick, but I'm really not a bad guy. We all have days where it's hard to even smile through our teeth.

I'm going to be honest and confess that I don't own any books on magic right now, but I do own the In The Beginning there were coins DVD by Jay Noblezada. Other than that, I've been learning from Youtube. I plan on buying royal road, the approach, and tarbell to get a solid foundation in this art.

Okay, before I begin I just want you to know that this is in no way a personal attack on you. This is just me being an exhausted, irritable Slav.

Jay Noblezada seems like a nice enough guy... but I've never been especially impressed by him. His teaching is... adequate. Something about him though just doesn't work for me. No... can't hang. Snob that I am, I continually refer to the ur-text of coin magic, Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. That's not to say there are no good DVDs on coin work. The Metal DVDs are good, and I like David Kong's muscle pass DVD. But the tactile feeling of a book, the ability to really take my time with it and internalize each little piece on its own is something that no other medium can adequately recreate.

On top of that, YouTube tutorials are the bane of my existence. Most of them are made by guys who couldn't hold an audience to save a bag of drowning puppies. The last one I stumbled on was so bad that if you told me the house it was shot in was built on an Indian burial ground, I would believe you. Ninety percent of all YouTube magic tutorials contain more testicles than human faces because the guy making it just angles his webcam down and hits RECORD. I can only see so many videos of someone's disembodied hands jiggling cards in front of (the same?) someone's junk before my family friends have to hide all ropes and sharp objects from me for at least three days.

Okay, got that out of my system.

The books you've named are good choices, though I would recommend getting Mark Wilson's Complete Course before the big investment in Tarbell. I love Tarbell and will hear nothing negative about it, but it's also a very steep investment. Mark Wilson's costs 20 bucks and covers the fundamentals very effectively. The real treasure in Tarbell is the essays on history and performance theory. Harlan Tarbell's writings on mentalism alone would cause most of today's "honest deceivers" to involuntarily rage-vomit. Oh yes, I'm still on that kick. There are probably some people here whose bodies would reject those essays like a bad organ transplant.

Also, if you ever feel like naming that out-of-print manuscript that you mentioned above, that would be really awesome, too! :D

Totally honest, dude, I think that particular batch of material is a bit out of your reach right now. The good news, I decided to do some checking and found that the author has revived this trilogy of booklets as a PDF download on his website along with some other lost gems from his catalog. Most amateurs still aren't going to download it or use it because... let's call the author Mr. K... is a bit too cerebral for most beginners.

I always make time for those willing to learn.

Apr 17, 2013

You will find that some of us who are labeled as negative will take time to talk to those really willing to learn. Also take the time right now and go to Magician.org and magicsam.com. Those are the websites for the IBM and SAM. There you will find local clubs and or magicians in your area.

Jan 29, 2011
The District
I enjoy the mental exercise of deconstructing what I've seen to help me understand the way the world works. That is made easier with digital video. ^_^
Here are some key thoughts for the original poster. I had typed up a second-by-second, play-by-play of the video and decided not to post it all as it could be construed as exposure.

00:36 -- Magician shows audience his hands are empty on both sides.

00:40 -- THE CAMERA CUTS.

00:41 -- The magician makes a handful of popcorn appear between his palms.

1. The brain that wants to believe will say the camera cut was a fluid motion to zoom in for a better view with no trickery. No trickery? Ha! We're magicians! ;-)
2. The analytic brain will say that the camera cut and therefore an unknown amount of time passed between what we see on the video at timeline points 00:39 and 00:41. My logic tells me his hands were loaded off-camera with popcorn, and revealed with a shake when the camera started rolling again. (Hopefully the kids were distracted for that brief loading moment, and aren't paid stooges, hehe!)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results