Anglo Rug Deck review: By Offason

Feb 4, 2008
Anglo Rug Back decks by Offason:

Where to buy: $6.00 / deck (price varies depending on exchange rate) http://www.el-duco.se/start.asp?languag ... +the+World
Also here: http://www.gycklaren.com/
And here: http://www.bmpokerworld.com/

Information about my reviewing methods: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156760

Video Suppliment: http://vimeo.com/11002115

Initial Impression:
There comes a moment in every educated red-neck’s life when someone turns him on to the fineries of Swedish snus over Copenhagen snuff. Ski bums as well may, at some point, be exposed to the added warmth and comfort of an authentic cardigan sweater over rag wool and poly-pro. It is high time my magic friends sampled their own version of Swedish quality. If you have read my review you know of my fondness for the Spanish Fourniers and I am happy to report the Swedes did not disappoint either. Offason, the manufacturer of the Anglo decks, has managed to combine a stiff springy stock with a fan that equals what North Americans have become accustomed to in a Bicycle. If you will recall that particular blend of characteristics was a large reason for my love of the USPCC Steamboat decks. The handling characteristics combined with a fresh new look in the design of a deck has quickly put these near the top of my favorites list. Provided they are a long lasting deck I expect they will remain there as well.

The Look:
These are probably my favorite looking deck that I have reviewed. I always say that this comes down to personal preferance but if you like the basic design then you have six different colors to choose from. All Rug decks come with a thin white boarder and have gold design work inlaid into the primary deck color. Your options are white/gold, black/gold, red/gold, blue/gold, and green/gold. The gold decks use a primary gold color and inlay black design work on top. These decks have almost a circus like look to them. Though they are geared primarily towards magicians they don’t look like a “trick” deck: a criticism that seems to plague the E-decks and the T11 decks.
The court cards are completely new designs. Another reviewer said they had an art deco feel to them and I tend to agree. Definitely a modern look. Poker purists might get uptight when they realize the King of Hearts is not stabbing himself in the head but for the most part I think they are tasteful new design. The Aces are a bit on the boring side. The Ace of Spades has nothing more than a small spade in the center. The Ace of Hearts is the unique Ace for the Rug decks with a small silhouette of a unicorn under the center heart and “Offason-Sweden” printed under that. The 7’s placed the odd pip in the center eliminating it’s status as a one way card.
Other things of note: Rug decks are jumbo index. Not a big factor for me but if you have effects that either don’t work or don’t look as good with a jumbo index then you may want to consider this before buying. Most of the suits seem to be elongated compared to North American artwork. This gives the clubs in particular a very unique, European look. Finally, there is a kaki box centered in all of the spot cards where all the pips are arraigned. I’d never seen any card in which something like this had been done before. It gives a little more attention to the spot cards. It doesn’t make or break the design but I thought it was a nice touch.

Card construction:
The first thing to note is the finish. The box calls it an “Embossed Finish.” (I never really understand the significance of the titles card companies give to finishes…I mean has anyone ever actually seen a Linoid? My spell check doesn’t even know what that is!) There is a dimpled pattern on the deck, much like what we are used to with most USPCC decks, but the dimples are much smaller than with most other cards. The last time I used a card with a pattern like that was on the Massa deck and it didn’t seem to hold its fan very long. Let’s just hope that the final finish coating had more to do with that than the actual pattern.

Next differences to note are the rounder corners of the Anglos. This may affect some spinning moves but so far I have not noticed an obvious drop in performance.

The last major difference is the length of the deck. Wile the width equals a standard poker deck the Anglos are actually about a half a millimeter longer. Nothing you will really notice when performing with them but worth noting all the same.

In all the deck was about 14 mm thick. This makes it one of the thinnest decks I have reviewed and in a side by side comparison you should be able to slide 3 to 4 Bicycle 808s over the top of the Anglo deck. Total weight was 92 grams.

Handling:
Checking my numbers from past reviews this deck matches up just about on par with the Steamboats.

Fanning: 9
I can’t tell any major difference between the Anglos fan versus the Bike 808. Both fans feel about as smooth. What you will notice is that the thin border on these decks seem to advertise fanning inconsistencies a little more. This seems to really bother the guys at ReviewXCM but personally I think the Anglo fans look nicer, even if inconsistencies are a bit more apparent. (Personally I think those guys are a bit to fastidious for their own good when it comes to fanning. When was the last time a heckler said “Dude you suck. Those two cards are two millimeters wider apart than the rest of them!”?) Anyways, they feel great to fan and I think they look beautiful as well.

Spring Moves: 9.5
Like both the Steamboat and Fournier these cards combine a stiff snappy feel with a thin light weight card. The result? Shooting cards off a spring, Diving Board Doubles, and other aerial spring moves should look really impressive provided you have the hand strength to control it.

Dribbles: 7.5
This was the worst performing characteristic. Sometimes breaking in the cards will help this a bit. Indeed the Tally-ho deck went from one of the worst dribbling decks OOB to the king of the dribblers. Time will tell but for now I’ll shy away from the dribble pass.

Crimp hold and recovery: 8
It seemed to do pretty good in this regard. This has tended to be an indicator of longevity since this category is highly dependant on the stock quality. I’m hoping to get two to three weeks out of this deck at least.

Single card glides: 8
A good performance here in the top card glides and an excellent performance in the bottom card glides. This category seems to be the toughest one to balance out. If the finish is too slick several cards may tend to follow the glide card and if the finish is too sticky cards seem to clump. The Anglo won’t quite beat the Fournier in this category but it is definitely one of the top decks in this category.

2+Card Obfuscations: 9
Opposing corner spin displays are solid as soon as you get used to the rounder edges. Push-off doubles should pull nicely and display well from a single corner. Diving-Board doubles are equal to the Fournier 605s! That’s saying a lot. Not Even the steamboat could match that. I went ahead and gave it a 9 but keep this in mind. Many of these moves are dependant on applying certain pressures on the corners. If you can’t get used to the rounder edges you should expect problems with some of these.

XCM cuts: The combination of a smooth fan and a stiff stock should make this an excellent deck for XCM. In addition to its handling characteristics the bold design and variety of color choices should make this a favorite for flourishers.

Card Splitting and Gaff construction/availability: TBD

Who should not buy?:
Much like the Fourniers and Steamboats these cards might be a bit much for new comers or people with weaker hands.

Who should buy these?: Intermediate and advanced card magicians looking for a little spice in their card vocabulary. Special recommendations for two groups. One: Flourishers. I think the look and performance of these decks should do you guys well. Two: Anyone who was in love with the Steamboat. Let me clarify that they don’t have quite the same feel as a Steamboat and obviously they don’t have the same look but their performance characteristics match the Steamboat almost category for category. I think that as soon as you get used to these you will feel right at home.

Final Thoughts:
As always I’ll reserve final judgment until the end of the longevity review but my initial impression was quite good. When I initially reviewed the Steamboats I was thinking to myself, “Get the word out! These cards are great!” And just as I was preparing to do such I found out that USPCC was discontinuing them. I find myself in that same situation now except that this sleeper is not currently on the chopping block. So I therefore consider it my duty to extol the virtues of this deck before it gets discontinued! It was a shame to see the Steamboats go and it would be a shame to see these go. E and T11 have shown that there is obviously a market for decks in the $5-$7 range. If you thinking of getting some of those cards then pause and take a good look at these for a moment. If you find the looks of these cards suit your style then I would strongly recommend these. They will certainly match any high quality USPCC card in the performance characteristics and they will beat most. If you have read many of my reviews you know I use the UV500 decks as my bell weather for a high performance deck and I would take these Anglos over a UV500 without hesitation. To sum up in one word…..Tits!

Feb 4, 2008
Anglo Rug Back 1 week update:
The Anglo Rug deck had an overall a fantastic showing after the first week except for a huge drop in the fanning category. I certainly wouldn’t recommend these for a manipulation act but if you are into modern card magic this is a must have deck. It reminds me so much of the Steamboats that I took an immediate liking to this deck.

Fanning: 6!
Wow! These were awesome OOB but the fan deteriorated as quickly with these as they did with the Massa decks. If you will recall I was a bit leery about the extra tiny dimples. Seems to me that they may have done better to just go all the way and make it an entirely smooth deck. I have racked my brain trying to determine the thinking behind tiny dimpled decks. Splitting the difference between a smooth finished and dimple finished deck doesn’t seem to work IMO. The only thing I can figure is that they are intended to be a smooth finish deck with just enough air pockets to hold fanning powder. The boys at ReviewXCM even recommend a sort of fanning powder regimen. Indeed using this method it seems as if they got the fan to improve as opposed to deteriorate. If you are interested in what they did I would recommend you check out their video. It is fun to watch anyways. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btlXpsQBhwE

Spring: 9
I have yet to notice much decline in the spring energy. There is definitely plenty of snap in these cards. This will make some moves feel a lot more secure.

Dribble: 7.5
I left this one the same as in the OOB review. Breaking it in does make it feel a bit better on the dribble but not enough to justify bumping it up to an 8.

Crimp Hold and Recovery: 9
Okay obviously this is not a category that will improve with time since it essentially reflects the durability and recoverability of a deck but I think it is safe to say that I may have initially misjudged it. In the past week I made a few serious mistakes with some cards and was able to virtually erase the damage done. I can still see the bad crimps if I pull out the cards and look carefully for the damage but the crimps are virtually invisible when shuffled in the pack. Furthermore, my breather crimped card is still holding its crimp quite nicely after a week of abuse.

Single card glides: 8.5
These improved a tad but they still won’t quite beat a Fournier. Nevertheless, I am quite impressed with the security this deck has in glide moves. Obviously the characteristics that make this deck clump while fanning don’t effect it on the glides.

2+Obfuscations: 9.5
Put quite simply when you decide to pair two cards up they will stay paired until you want them to split. There is plenty of security in all the moves I use to evaluate this trait. The one and only problem I am still having is with the Hugard Braue Push-Off. I’m using a white, borderless, deck for the review and the combination of that plus the rounded edges have made it more difficult for me to find the right thumb position. I’m sure as soon as I find my sweet spot this move will be solid as well. Of particular note is in a single corner display. Corner displays are moves I am rarely willing to try in a performance but I would feel confident using them with the Rug deck. Overall the best performing deck I have used for any of the 2 card obfuscations.

Additional thoughts:
Well where it got bad it got really bad but where it is good it is one of the best. I really won’t recommend this deck for people doing classic flourishing. Obviously any routine heavy on fan and spread moves will be difficult with this deck. Tabled gambling demos are also weak primarily because a push through false shuffle is a real bear with these. If, on the other hand, you are into many of the sleights that are being used in modern card magic you will love this deck. People who like to do in the hands card magic will get more than enough performance out of the Anglo Rug. Clip shifts, one handed pop-outs, Diving Board DLs, Floops, Shape shifters, Anderson and Truffle false shuffles, even the buckle move for a bottom deal are just some of the moves I noticed seemed more secure with this deck. Also those interested in multi packet cuts, aerial cuts and other forms of XCM will probably love this deck as well.

Basically as the Anglo ages it feels as if this deck was really meant for the most modern performers. With the demise of the Steamboat I doubt there is any deck in the USPCC inventory that can compare to this deck. (I have yet to try the Arcanes?) In the “intangibles” category is a quality I first began to appreciate with the Fournier. The quality control on these two European decks is quite outstanding. No rough cut marks on the corners, the backs are centered and cut perfectly, even the paper feels higher in quality. An Anglo Rug deck doesn’t feel like it was assembled at a factory but rather crafted by artisans who take great pride in their work. It is definitely the highest quality card you will find in the 5-7 dollar price range.

Feb 4, 2008
Anglo Rug Deck (2 week update)

The overall feel of this deck has changed very little over the last 12 hours of use. The fan has reached an all time low but in most other areas it is still performing quite admirably.

Fanning: 5
Wow these things became a pig to fan. Now in the past I have said that I usually give up on a practice deck once one of it’s categories reaches 5 or below. I’m going to break my own rules and continue with the longevity review because its other performance characteristics are still quite strong. In addition to this about mid week I dry buffed the edges of the deck. It was not a full cleaning, like what is possible with the Fournier 605, but I found that by just knocking dirt off the edges with a dry tissue I was able to revive the fan to about a 7. I did not repeat the process prior to this evaluation but for those who chose to do this an occasional dry buff should keep the fan at a tolerable level. As for me I have just decided not to bother fanning with this deck. It will still spread fine for a card selection and that’s all I really need for now.

Spring: 7
This was a surprise. The deck still feels pretty stiff but when I compared it in a blindfold test vs. the 808 I couldn’t tell the difference. I went ahead and dropped this score to a 7 but it has the feel of a stiffer deck(likely its just in my head )

Dribble: 8
The deck is finally dribbling more consistently. Not enough to make it a candidate for an Anaconda flourish but enough to be a proficient worker for dribble shifts and riffle passes.

Crimp Hold/Recovery: 8
I docked this one back to an 8. While the deck still has fairly smooth edges enough unintentional crimps have emerged that you will need to use a medium to large crimp to easily find. As for my breather crimp, it is still detectable but getting to the point where I’ll need to re-crimp it. Not bad after two weeks.

Single Card Glide: 8.5
Pretty strong still in this category. The only thing I notice is that occasionally an extra card will “stick” when gliding from the pinky on the longitudinal access. This is obviously the result of the clumpy nature of the finish. Overall the finish doesn’t seem to be adversely effecting the other directions of the glide.

2+Obfuscations: 8.5
Still one of the best decks I have ever used for opposite corner spins, Diving Board doubles, Center Doubles, and single corner displays. I docked it a full point because the finish is beginning to grab extra cards on both the H/B Push-off DL and The DDDL. Were it not for those two moves I might have rated this a 10!

Additional Thoughts:

Given the Anglo Rugs performance in the fan I definitely have cause to end this review were I to choose to but it’s outstanding performance in so many other categories makes me want to stick with this review for a while longer. This deck is a fantastic practice deck for most modern card sleights. In particular, moves that are designed to be performed one handed, Diving Board DLs, Clip Shifts, Venus Traps, ect., seem well suited for this deck. The stiff feel of the deck is also good for many Aaron Fisher inspired moves ie. Nowhere passes, Hermann outjog passes ect. Finally, this deck holds together very well for multi-packet cuts and aerials. For these reasons I’m going to overlook the fan score and continue practicing with this deck. If any of those moves describe your stile I don’t think you will be disappointed with the Anglo Rug deck.

Feb 4, 2008
Anglo Rug Deck Final Update:
Well about a half a week into the third week I am finally calling it quits. I recently tried to buff up the edges and clean the deck up a bit but it seemed to have little effect on the performance this time. Essentially a slight drop in glide performance and 2+O was just enough to make the deck unreliable for an all around practice deck.

Fanning: 5
No significant drop from the end of the second week but the clumpyness in this deck has begun to adversely effect other characteristics.

Spring: 7
No significant change from last update.

Dribble: 8
No signif tigant change from last update.

Crimp Hold/Recovery: 8
No signif tigant change from last update.

Single Card Glide: 7
This was the biggest factor in ending this review. Though by itself a rating of 7 hardly seems sufficient to end a review the devil is in the detail. The top card glides still handle quite well but both bottom card glides are becoming very difficult to pull. Were I to split the ratings the top glides would get a 9 but the bottom cards a 5 or a 6. Overall the combination of this plus the continued poor fanning was the deal breaker.

2+Obfuscations: 7.5
Diving Board DL’s, single corner displays, opposite corner spins, and center doubles are all performing admirably. H&B Push-off DLs are more problematic that the last update and DDDLs are practically impossible. The stickiness in the deck make controlled push-offs very difficult.

Final thoughts:
Wow. When this thing is good it is unquestionably one of the best decks on the market. Were I to rate only two factors, stock and finish, I’d give the stock a 10 and the finish a 5. The poor durability of the finish is my biggest disappointment in this deck especially since, even as I retire the deck, I can still feel a lot of life left in this stock. Even with that disappointment I did keep it going longer than most decks , though I’m sure some would have given up on it sooner.

As a general recommendation I’d say that anyone who buys decks in the $5.00-$7.00 range should try out an Anglo Rug. The Rugs are definitely a unique experience in deck performance that I have yet to see matched by the standard high price decks that USPCC generally offers up. While a UV500 stock will likely outlast the Rug, a Rug deck does have a respectable deck life and performance that I have only seen matched but Steamboats(no longer in production) and Fournier 605(an $11.00 deck.) Overall this is a recommended deck for intermediate to advanced card workers but, due to issues with the finish, I wouldn’t recommend a brick until you have tried out a deck or two to see if the Anglo Rug suits you.

May 2, 2010
New York, New York
Nice review. I love this deck. I picked one up in red and they work great. Not many people are on to them because a lot of local magic shops are asking high prices for them. I seen them go as high as 25 dollars. I had to get mine from net.

thanks for the other sites

Feb 4, 2008
Nice review. I love this deck. I picked one up in red and they work great. Not many people are on to them because a lot of local magic shops are asking high prices for them. I seen them go as high as 25 dollars. I had to get mine from net.

thanks for the other sites

No problem. The folks at El Duco/Gycklaren were real easy to work with. I had trouble getting my card to work(I guess Visa Europe has some new security features that a lot of North American cards are not up to speed with) but I wrote them and they were able to arrainge to have me pay via paypal. The one thing to be heads up on is the exchange rate. I wound up paying about $10.00 more than expected because of this. I did notice that Brook Micheals website is now selling the Anglos for $6.00 so you might get a more stable price from there. The thing to be heads up on before buying from bmpokerworld is that they do not distinguish between the Anglo Rug and the Anglo Poker edition decks. You will have to check the colors to know which one you are getting. The decks with the gold detail work are the rugs. I'll upload my Poker edition review so you can get an idea of the differences...if you don't already know.

It is a pretty cool deck of cards. I got a full brick and I'll probably get some more this summer.
Cheers!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results