Another Magic Act that You Won't Believe

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
Yeah. It's weird. But I don't think it's a fail at all.

Can you imagine this commercial running during the afternoon cartoon hours in an urban area? Every 4-9 year old that sees it is going to want these guys at his birthday party.

The old advice used to be to pitch your show at the parents, because that's who wrote the checks. These guys realize that his tv ad should be aimed at the kids, because KIDS often hold power over the checkbook these days.

This isn't the style of magic that most of you are hoping to perform, but I think these guys are genius and are probably making BANK.

Uncle Magic. Good for him.

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
Go check out the website.
www.hiphopmagician.com

The guy is booking a ton of shows. I think the ad is hilarious (and Draven, yes the clown is creepy) but I'm now kind of enamoured of the guy.

He's a promotional machine. Check out the sports car with the wrap on it. He makes good use of referencing his tv ads. Apparently has some magical chops. He's got an upcoming local area kids show.

Uncle Majic, I salute you. If only more magicians would get off their high horses and do the work to book shows.

May 3, 2008
It sounds like he has major chops. However, I have seen his commercials here in NYC and they are without a doubt one of the most unprofessional ads ever. Just from the way the parents see them, they will think it's one of the most atrocious things they've ever seen. He may be advertising to kids, but if I were a parent, there'd be no way in hell that I'd hire some sh*tty magician with a crappy commercial that gives you a freakin' headache. I also think it's pretty degrading to put magicians into the same class as clowns.

drkrelemnts; said:
I also think it's pretty degrading to put magicians into the same class as clowns.

Now hold the phone for a second. I'm carney trained and appronteced under the very first /original Ronald McDonald. I don't agree with that elitiest attitude. There is nothing wrong with clowns on a performance level. I know a couple of clowns who are fine magicians. Doesn't mean I don't find them still creepy though but I can respect their work

May 3, 2008
Now hold the phone for a second. I'm carney trained and appronteced under the very first /original Ronald McDonald. I don't agree with that elitiest attitude. There is nothing wrong with clowns on a performance level. I know a couple of clowns who are fine magicians. Doesn't mean I don't find them still creepy though but I can respect their work

While that may be true, the point of clowning is to be made fun of. More often then not, clowns do not get much respect and are left to kids parties making balloons and being laughed at. Or maybe clowns have always scared the sh*t out of me.

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
I agree, this guys ad would give me a headache, but it's no worse than most of the car dealership ads I see.

And I think you're wrong. I would book this for my kid if he wanted it. Sure the ad is loud and obnoxious. Know what else SHOULD be loud and obnoxious... a kids birthday party. They LOVE loud and obnoxious. And I guarantee people remember those ads.

This guy's point isn't to be an artiste'. It's to GET PAID and make a living doing something he loves doing. And that's a perfectly valid point of view.

We can sit around and talk about MAGIC and ART and CREATIVITY, but this guy is out there apparently doing the ONE THING that I believe is truly good for magic: performing good magic for a paying audience, and he's doing it with an original character.

I'm officially an Uncle Majic fan.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results