Anytime Anywhere, stage performance

This video is taken from a 60 minute stage show I performed for my home town on Oct. 16, 2011. This show was considered "demonic", and "not fun" by one person who wasn't even there. Fortunately all outstanding issues with that person was resolved with minimal incident. Of course I would welcome any comments, thoughts, or feedback.

Enjoy!

[video=youtube;6AsLYV7f7lc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AsLYV7f7lc[/video]

Feb 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
I love your joke, really a great presence on stage. But I think for this trick, with the angle that the camera had, we could "see" what we shouldn't have. Beside that, it was really great and a very nice presentation.

Goldmos,

Thanks for the complements. I have to ask you though, are you seeing the slip because you are a magician and it's blatantly obvious to us what I'm doing, or are you seeing the slip just because it's not covered well?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Draven, thanks for sharing this. I really enjoy your character, the back drop, costume, the mood and music. These are great but I am not sure the witty jokes and one liners "fit" the character that you portray. Some of the jokes are funny because we all typically use the same ones. I guess what I am trying to say is that with the look and style you are portraying, I didn't expect to hear some of the humor. I thought maybe it would be more of a mysterious type of effect. I could be totally wrong but those were my initial thoughts.

When I reflect back on myself, I wish I had a "character" developed as you do. It definitely adds to the show and professionalism.

Again, thanks for posting. I love watching others and I hope to be able to get some footage of my next gig to put up as well so I can get some feedback.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I guess what I am trying to say is that with the look and style you are portraying, I didn't expect to hear some of the humor. I thought maybe it would be more of a mysterious type of effect. I could be totally wrong but those were my initial thoughts.

That's what I was thinking too. Your portrait of you and your costume looks like your magic and persona would be scary/darker than what you portrayed.
Maybe you usually do this, but being that you were performing for your friends you decided to take it down a notch?
I don't know. Not to be disrespectful towards you, but I don't really see the need for the costume if you were going to perform this way. Have you ever performed in suit attire before?

Rick,

And that there in lays the biggest obstetrical that I am trying to overcome! You are absolutely correct, the carpet doesn't match the drapes, and that is something that I've had repeated issues with. I've been struggling to overcome it.

DannyT, I understand you are echoing above stated, and I may have played it a bit safer than normal, but this is an issue that I know I have. Unfortunately I HATE suits. I've been working to develop this character for sometime now, and feel that I'd rather further attempt to work out the kinks before I abandon completely the look.

I of course am not making an excuse, as I acknowledge that the problem with consistent characterization exists however I think I know what may have caused me to lapse a bit more into generic showman. I was up against being called out in the news as "demonic" and "not fun" according to one review, and giving it was my home town I think I just let go and let the natural showman inside of me do his job. I don't actually remember much of the presentation. Just as soon as my name was called I blacked out and the show began. Again, not making an excuse but trying to understand what happened.

Good observations. Thank you for the feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 27, 2009
I like the effect, it could be considered a classic plot and I like classic plots.

Your Character is interesting. Your attire reminds me of the characters portrayed by Barry and Stuart. They are very funny, but it's dark humor. Your humor wasn't dark, but then again, the presentation of the trick didn't have much of an anchor for dark humor. I think that this may work, but it depends on the context. If this is one comedic moment in the middle of a show with an appropriate range of different moods I think that it might work, after all, there can be comedy in a horror film and vice versa. The key is finding balance. Of course, I could be completely wrong here, and if that's the case, it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Your music also seems to lend itself to a character that uses more dark humor, or no humor at all. I can see this music with a Edgar Alan Poe type of mysterious presentation for a trick. I can also see the current presentation with non-mysterious music. Again, it depends partly on the rest of your show.

As far as the "flash" that was mentioned in one of the earlier replies goes, I only noticed it because I was looking for it, and because I knew what to look for. Most non-magicians probably wouldn't notice, or they'd dismiss it as having seen the wrong thing the first time. The "flash" was a minor discrepancy that probably doesn't matter unless you're performing for magicians.

On a different note, I really enjoyed your audience interaction. I've seen a number of performers who are stuck on their script and don't react to what happens around them. You weren't stuck on your script, which made the performance more fun to watch.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results