Argument with mi madre

Ok, so me and my mom just got into a pretty bad argument. "Why?" you ask? Here's the story:

We were watching Mindfreak, and the episode playing was the mentalism episode from the third season. He did a mentalism effect with Jamie Kennedy where he simply forced a card, and "read his mind". Now, whenever my mom sees Criss do an effect on TV, she always asks "Do you know how he did that?" Now, most of the time I say "No.", but sometimes I do know how his effects are done, and I tell her so. So I told her that I did know how he "read Jami Kennedy's mind", and she asked me how. Of course, I didn't tell her. I told her about "The Magicians Code", and all that jazz. This is when she started to get mad. She said "If magicians aren't allowed to reveal secrets, then why can you pay to learn them off of the internet?! There's no such thing as a 'Magicians Code' (she said this as if mocking me). And if magicians can't reveal secrets, then why does Criss Angel reveal some on TV?" I answered these questions as best as I could, and the argument escalated, until we were pretty much yelling at each other. I no longer wanted to argue with her, so I came and got on the computer.:D

Do any of you know somebody like this? If so, how do you deal with them? Now, we're talking about my mom here, so keep it modest. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 2755

Wow... I love how a simple fun show can turn into such a huge argument....Most of the time when I see a Criss Angel vid like on youtube people say "criss is Jesus Christ" then someone just bashes Jesus and then people start reciting bible verses and there ends up being a huge argument either whether or not Criss is Jesus, whether Jesus existed, and whether or not Christianity is correct or incorrect. It's rather pathetic. The fact that your mom wants to kill the magic for her I find pretty pathetic. Just tell her that if she knew... it would kill the all the amazement for her. Who cares what she says, just do a trick to her to get her frustrated.:D (Also force a card on her and "read her mind" to get her even more frustrated.:p)

-Doug

Aug 31, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Yes it has happened but even if it goes to that extreme tell her that if you told her how to do it she wouldn't appriciate it anymore the entertainment value has gone and that is why we haev the magicians code

Yes it has happened but even if it goes to that extreme tell her that if you told her how to do it she wouldn't appriciate it anymore the entertainment value has gone and that is why we haev the magicians code

I have. I told her that if I told her how all of the magic I know is done, then she wouldn't be impressed by it anymore. She doesn't care. She's pretty stubborn. It's kind of amusing.:p

Aug 31, 2007
California
Wow... I love how a simple fun show can turn into such a huge argument....Most of the time when I see a Criss Angel vid like on youtube people say "criss is Jesus Christ" then someone just bashes Jesus and then people start reciting bible verses and there ends up being a huge argument either whether or not Criss is Jesus, whether Jesus existed, and whether or not Christianity is correct or incorrect. It's rather pathetic. The fact that your mom wants to kill the magic for her I find pretty pathetic. Just tell her that if she knew... it would kill the all the amazement for her. Who cares what she says, just do a trick to her to get her frustrated.:D (Also force a card on her and "read her mind" to get her even more frustrated.:p)

-Doug

hahaha dude i LOVE that! i just like watching and reading the comments. it's funny

Oct 4, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
Sometimes the best way to handle angry people is to just give them your undivided attention and let them get it out of their system. Don't respond in kind (that is with anger) just patiently listen. If they ask you a question just do your best to keep your head and respond calmly and respectfully the best you can. If you don't know the answer then offer to find out for them if it is a serious inquiry. If the question is just meant to belittle you or humiliate you then they don't really expect or want an answer anyway and you would probably do well just to let it pass without comment. I know this is not an easy thing but then no one ever said doing the right thing was easy. Hang in there, we all get this from people at times. Friends, relatives, and people we don't even know. As long as you're in no danger of physical harm I'd say stay calm. People will respect your self control and maybe learn a little themselves and those who don't never will anyway so you have lost nothing.

In arguments like this, I usually just patiently and calmly listen to them. Don't say a word, because they want an argument. Just listen. At the end of their little rant, I say something like "Good point" and end it right there - continue doing whatever I was doing. If they keep going, repeat. They get frustrated and give up very quickly. It works surprisingly well.

Of course, if they ask a serious question, respond with a serious, calm, polite and nice answer. The look that you usually get, which verbally translated to something like "......oh. I wasn't really expecting a serious answer there. I just wanted more yelling" is priceless and quickly teaches them. Kill 'em with kindness =)

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
Dude, to me it just sounds like one of those things that your mom will eventually forget about. If I were you, I'd simply leave it be, and it would most likely never be brought up again. I mean, it's obviously an issue that a layman would not truly understand due to our natural urge to want to become more knowledgable about things we don't understand fully.

I'm not one to take a dive when it comes to an argument of something that is highly serious, but...in some cases, much like yours...it's better to just take a dive and be like..."Ok, (insert made up method that is complete BS but you don't tell her that.)"

Take care,

Shane K.

Oct 22, 2007
Ha.
Definitely glad that I live on my own.
I love my ma to death, but I remember those days.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results