Austin, Texas

Dec 14, 2007
There are two magic clubs that meet in Austin. Both on Monday nights. One is the first monday of the month, the other is the third. One of the clubs sponsors clinics on the third saturday of each month. I am facilitating the next one. Both clubs do lectures - the most recent being Danial Garcia. And they also host an auction each year. (Great place to pick up books and DVDs.)

For information about magic in austin you can go to http://austinmagic.org/

I believe one of the members is trying to put together a monthly "session" (very informal). You might want to check that out.

Brad Henderson

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
Brad, how receptive are they? I've been curious about the local IBM/SAM clubs for a while.

I guess there are some nerves about being a new guy / not up to standards either.

Dec 14, 2007
Honestly, it's a crap shoot. While the clubs themselves will be thrilled at the idea of your being a member, each individual member is unique.

Most people who meet me think I'm a jerk ;) but that's only because I tend to keep to myself or hang with my friends. And when people ask me my opinion, I tell them - with complete honesty.

Some of the members are super cool guys. Some of them will be very outgoing. Some will keep to themselves. A magic meeting for some is their weekly social event, so they will want to chat with their buddies. But I guarantee you, that if you are willing to put yourself out there, you will meet some people with whom hopefully you share mutual interests.

And don't worry about not being up to a standard. No matter how badly you think you may suck, I assure you, there are guys there who are worse. MUCH worse.

The IBM meetings try to be more hand's on. The SAM seems to have become more of a "sit and watch" type of club.

If you plan on coming to an IBM meeting, drop me a line and I will try and introduce you around.

I think magic clubs can be a great resource for a magician. The clubs in Lexington and Louisville KY were great for me growing up. Some clubs have issues. I think it can be what you make it.

Give it a shot. You've got nothing to loose.

Brad Henderson

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
Thank you Brad.

Just looking over their web sites in the past couple of months, the IBM group has looked more inviting.

I may, with one more apologetic question. Do they expect a persn to have a paid membership to check out the first meeting?

I'll have to talk the rest out with the wife and such. Your help is very much appreciated, too. Thank you.

Dec 14, 2007
Guests are welcome anytime.

Both groups have something to offer. But they are different.

This months IBM meeting is "Meet the board". All of the board members will perform and tell a little about themselves. Then, in subsequent months, we will tap members (just 2-3 per meeting) to do the same. The idea is for everyone to learn what resources are available to them and what everyone is interested in.

March's meeting will be more "hand's" on.

They usually allow a couple of meetings as a guest before they start hinting about joining. (Or they should. If they strong arm you, let me know and I will kick their ASS. It's that kind of stupidity which kills magic clubs.)

Hope to see you there.

B

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results