back to the basics

Apr 8, 2010
OK so lately I have developed the bad habit of trying out every slight i see. Lately i have been on overload and decided to start over from the beginning with the basics and a question came up, what are considered the basics?
I am starting over and treating it like I am a beginner at card magic. What do you consider the basics that i should start with?

Jun 30, 2011
While I think abandoning everything you've learnt is a bit unnecessary, in my opinion the best source for learning the basics would be Aaron Fisher, have a look at his Card Magic Minutes videos on Youtube. The basics could be considered how to hold a deck of cards, how to shuffle and control cards etc but even more importantly are concepts which apply to everything from holding and spreading the cards to palms and passes such as a soft touch and a lack of tension, if you really understand these ideas and apply them to everything you do I think you'll find learning every new sleight and trick you come across a lot less interesting. Normally for an absolute beginner i'd suggest something more along the lines or RRTCM or Card College however simply attempting to relearn the mechanics of the sleights would probably be quite boring and unproductive whereas Aaron Fisher's videos will help you build a strong foundation while working with moves you already know and also help you get better at deciding what is actually worth learning.

Great advice. I myself am a beginner and am reading RRTCM. I'm struggling with my dexterity and repeatability. Sadly, I'm having a hard time developing a consistent overhand shuffle. I understand this is a crucial technique for advanced sleights, and I find myself dropping cards and losing the controlled card. I'd appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!

Jun 30, 2011
The overhand shuffle is a very useful move and it's definitely worth making sure you can do it properly. If you're having trouble with it i'd suggest slowing down a bit, make sure you have the correct finger positions as they're very important and will be even more so for advanced sleights. When you get frustrated it can be easy to let these slide. Look at the book, make sure you have the exact finger positions then go as slow as is necessary to avoid dropping cards, it doesn't matter if it takes you 10 seconds to draw off each card. When you do this you'll start to gain a muscle memory for the sleight and you'll find you can speed up a bit and still do the move correctly, just keep gradually speeding up and you'll have it down in no time. I think you'll find the videos I suggested in my previous post very helpful as well, I think there's at least 2 on the overhand shuffle.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results