Backlash 2 from True Astonishment

May 16, 2009
i like this effect, but i dont like at all the ending. I think that changing the spectator name for your name is like walk to the north to then in the last moment, inexplicably and without reason walk to the east.
So i thought that this could change if rater than change his/her name for my name, i should change his/her name for another word that could fit right in the presentation of the effect. But im stuck there, any ideas of what word could that be??

thanks for your advise.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Yeah, but what's the point? That would completely ruin the effect... Booktest would be an additional, unnecessary and detrimental prop.

If you really want to use a different word, create a presentation that allows for a different word, i.e. change the premise of the effect so that it's no longer one name into another but maybe... their name into their partner's name? If you don't want to use names at all, try using the premise of dichotomy... good -> evil, etc.

Jan 10, 2008
Actually, i've heard stories of bar/restaurant magicians doing the effect as is and leaving the spectators with the playing card that now has the performer's name and a business card, with great success.
I do, however see where you guys are going with this. No matter how you look at it, the thinking behind this effect is to leave the spectator with an "impossible object" at the end. I personally think that it could be something other than your name myself. As heavymetalholic stated, it could be a word from a book test, but who's to say that this word as to be forced.
For instance it could be the name of somebody's significant other or somebody that the spectator cares about, which could be a lead-in to a mentalism effect. The word on the card could virtually be anything, with the right handling and structure it could very well be a picture of something.
Crazy...this could very well be a start to something beautiful...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results