Backyard Cardistry

Apr 22, 2015
Hey all! I am just here to ask of a quick favor from anyway who wishes to help me out. I have just posted my first cardistry video on my YouTube channel, and I would love it if one of you were to head on over and maybe even offer some help or even some criticism as to how I could improve the videos. Or maybe even let me know of something that I did well. Please do forgive me as I am fairly new at making videos, and editing. it is quite hard, and would just appreciate if anyone were to just help me out. That is all, thank you!

Here is the link:

Reactions: ChristopherR2
May 24, 2015
Overall it's a very good start and it inspires me to even push harder to the point when I'm ready to cut my first video.

Your moves are on point, style of music fit your video, and the video cuts were done well.

Now for the criticisms. I would pick a shirt that showcases and offers a clear contrast to your cards. The shirt you were wearing was very distracting and it was hard to follow your moves at points in the video because they were lost behind the background of your shirt.

Also, and this is just my opinion but I would refrain from adding the stylized video effects in future videos. Those type of effects were in style in the late 90's and in the early 2000's. Just watch The System from Dan and Dave and you'll see what I mean. These type of effects are not used today and it was the one element that took a lot out of your video.

Instead, I would have shot from different angles, get a full profile shot that includes your face to showcase your personality, or even some close up shots to showcase the cards and your flourishes.

Anyways I hope that helps and I'm looking forward to seeing your next video.

Apr 22, 2015
Overall it's a very good start and it inspires me to even push harder to the point when I'm ready to cut my first video.

Your moves are on point, style of music fit your video, and the video cuts were done well.

Now for the criticisms. I would pick a shirt that showcases and offers a clear contrast to your cards. The shirt you were wearing was very distracting and it was hard to follow your moves at points in the video because they were lost behind the background of your shirt.

Also, and this is just my opinion but I would refrain from adding the stylized video effects in future videos. Those type of effects were in style in the late 90's and in the early 2000's. Just watch The System from Dan and Dave and you'll see what I mean. These type of effects are not used today and it was the one element that took a lot out of your video.

Instead, I would have shot from different angles, get a full profile shot that includes your face to showcase your personality, or even some close up shots to showcase the cards and your flourishes.

Anyways I hope that helps and I'm looking forward to seeing your next video.

It is so awesome that there are people that will help out, and respond within a matter of minutes! So thank you for that! Anyways, about what you said. I completely agree within every aspect of what you had mentioned. I feel like everything that you mentioned can be easily solved. For example, wear a black shirt, shoot at different locations, etc. But my only sticking point is having no one to record for me. Yeah sure, I could have friends do it, but they would get so bored after a while. Otherwise, it is so awesome for you to give me this wealth of information for me to work on and help improve my future videos. So again, I can't thank you enough! Have a great day!

Reactions: ChristopherR2

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
Alright. Here's a little review of you video:

The good:
You practiced the moves well, everything looks for the most part smooth and consistent.
You setting isn't super distracting and doesn't take away from the video.

The bad:
Music is fine with your videos, in most cases the video would be horrendously boring without music. That said, you could tone down a little on the music (make it softer so it doesn't overpower the video).

The ugly:
The black box around your video is distracting. Enlarge the video (and reduce the blank space) to put emphasis on what the video is about (the awesome moves). While I get that the editing/SFX is supposed to be artsy I didn't really care for it. That may be my own opinion so keep doing it if you like that kind of element in your videos.

Side note: Try some different angles! Most cardistry videos are summed up with the phrase "headless torsos doing crazy things with cards. Different angles could help spice things up.

Overall, not bad for a first start. Keep at it. :)

-Bryant

Apr 22, 2015
Alright. Here's a little review of you video:

The good:
You practiced the moves well, everything looks for the most part smooth and consistent.
You setting isn't super distracting and doesn't take away from the video.

The bad:
Music is fine with your videos, in most cases the video would be horrendously boring without music. That said, you could tone down a little on the music (make it softer so it doesn't overpower the video).

The ugly:
The black box around your video is distracting. Enlarge the video (and reduce the blank space) to put emphasis on what the video is about (the awesome moves). While I get that the editing/SFX is supposed to be artsy I didn't really care for it. That may be my own opinion so keep doing it if you like that kind of element in your videos.

Side note: Try some different angles! Most cardistry videos are summed up with the phrase "headless torsos doing crazy things with cards. Different angles could help spice things up.

Overall, not bad for a first start. Keep at it. :)

-Bryant

Thank you very much Bryant! Not only for being able to just give me some words of advice, but also for not being afraid to point out the flaws. I feel like this video was sort of my "raw cut". That is to say that from here on in, I hope to smooth out the edges (problems) of my videos and make them better. So again, thank you so much for the reply, and I will continue to try my best at making my videos. Again, thanks!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results