Bad Habit? (Not the cut)

Sep 1, 2007
I was just wondering, for those of you who are more experienced, is it a bad habit if I practice my flourishes with my elbows touching my knees (as when I am sitting)?

Also, is it bad to have actions taking place close to my body? Would it be better to extend my arms a bit?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 31, 2007
California
I would think it's okay to have your elbows on your legs or whatever, but don't let it get to the point where you can't flourish at all without doing said gesture. Normally you just want to have your elbows to your side, regardless of what you're doing with cards...I would think that's the right cardistry posture. :)

And I guess it's okay if you do it, but it'll just make things look really confined...and a little suspicious. Try doing whatever you're doing a little farther from your body, and closer to the spectator(s). It should make the environment a little more comfortable.

Remy

Sep 17, 2007
I used to do the same thing, like, sit on a cosy chair, lean forward, arms on knees, legs a bit open and flourish. What I'll say is that its good for practicing new cuts which you are unfamiliar with, somehow, because having your elbows on your knees for support really prevents your hands from moving apart from each other and splaying cards all over the place. However, if you are intending to go out onto the streets and flourish, or in future, stand up and flourish (like what I'm progressing to), you may face a bit of a problem. I have a friend who can do a good-paced Sybil sitting down but it gets progressively harder for him when he stands up. Somehow the combination of height with a lack of support for the elbows when standing up makes flourishing standing up slightly different, so if you plan to do that in future it might be good to start early. Oh, and Cardmagic is right, bending over for a long period of time can screw your back. A bit is fine, not too much.

Sep 1, 2007
practice standing up and being tall rather than hunkering down over your cuts like a hobbit. Besides this will open up possibilities for spinning the body, kicks, behind-the-back catches, etc.

if all you're doing is sybils on the other hand, then you can probably sit in a chair the whole time just fine.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results