Baduk (Analogous to Chess) Magic Trick

Jul 18, 2018
Hello all, I'm new to magic and I would like to create a trick with a Go/Baduk board and stones. Does anyone have a suggestion of a trick for a newbie (and maybe where to learn it from)?

Some ideas I have would be (Idk if they are possible):
  1. Guessing the sum of the stones, in the odds or evens we play at the beginning to decide who starts (nigiri). I don't know if it's possible, since neither player knows how many stones they have taken.
  2. Having a marked stone embedded inside the board.
  3. Guessing what moves the opponent made without looking at them. Kind of difficult since the board is much bigger than chess'. I could restrict the opponents moves to some standard fighting ones though.
I know I'm asking for too much probably, but if I can have at least some directions, maybe I can figure this out at some point. I appreciate the help, thanks.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Oh, this should be fun! I love Go, and always wanted to use the stones in some sort of a trick.

The first idea that comes to mind is to do a Max Maven trick called "Kuratsoka", which already uses stones to begin with so this isn't much of a creative stretch.

Maybe a variation of the Trick that Fooled Einstein? You can probably wrap a nice story about how the higher Dan players try and guess the number of stones exactly (like a nigiri) in their post-tournament parties.

One trick that would interesting, but I have no idea how you would do it, is to predict the placement of the stones on a Go board. Something like the Tic-Tac-Toe trick, where you and the spectator play an arbitrary amount of stones and then show that the prediction matches the layout. That would cool, but good luck trying to find someone who knows the rules or even the existence of the game.

I'll see if I can think of something else. If there were different colored stones then perhaps a variation on Psycho-Dice by Steve Cook would work, but that's not the case here.

Jul 18, 2018
Actually, I do have some different colored stones... Check this out.

I'll take a look at the tricks you've mentioned and see if I can work something out.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results