Bar Magic Poll

Should Magicians that tend a bar be.....

• Magicians / Bartenders

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Bartenders / Magicians

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
Oct 22, 2009
I recently went to the Safehouse in Milwaukee to learn that my all-time favorite magician Mark Bond has retired. He did the best magic that I've ever seen close-up, and he did it all. (cards - coins- cups / balls - everything)

During his routine, he would take brief breaks after a performance and take drink requests (as all bar magicians are required to do). Here is my poll / question:

Should Bar Magicians be Magicians / Bartenders or Bartenders / Magicians?

Mark Bond was a Magician / Bartender - doing his magic, then taking drinks as there were spaces in the performance. You could go there and watch magic all night long, and enjoy it over a few drinks.

The new bartender is more of a Bartender / Magician. He will do two tricks, then do drinks (which takes awhile), then do a couple more tricks, then do drinks again.

For those that go there specifically to see magic, it puts a lull in the performance. However, I know the bartender is under the constraints of management, and they may want him to pour more drinks and do less magic - to pull in more money to the establishment.

Here's the catch 22. Do you think that people go to places with a magician at the bar to see magic, or are people randomly there just to drink? I know it's a mix, but what do you think the majority is? With a Magician doing fewer tricks, I would be less likely to return.

Me personally, I go there to see magic. If I want to go out to drink, I could go to any other bar with less expensive drinks and a dance floor or something (though I can't dance). So, here's the question once again and feel free to give your opinions.

Should Magicians that tend Bar be Magicians / Bartenders or Bartenders / Magicians?

Oct 22, 2009
to Clarify I guess....

If you're a magician and you serve drinks at a bar and also perform magic at the bar, should you focus more of your time on performing magic (magician / bartender) or on pouring drinks (bartender / magician).

well if im going to a magic bar to see magic, then it should be magician/bartender. but most people go to a bar to drink. so either a bartender totally or a bartender who does some magic.
i would rather go see a bartender/juggler. that would throw bottles around.

Jul 13, 2009
Firstly if you are hired as a bartender that is your job, sure you can entertain people with a trick or two but you are a bartender and need to cater to peoples drinking needs. That is something that applies to Wait staff of restaurants. If you were hired as a waiter then guess what that is your priority.

If you are doing magic to get more tips rather then just to entertain your participants cool whatever. When I go to a bar (not to drink mind you) I am there to have fun. I do not believe for a second people only come to a bar to see a magician. For the most part (at least in America) people go to a bar to have fun get buzzed (mostly wasted though) and forget about there lives or live it up.

Also I would rather see a flare bartender at a club bar then a magician, the reason I like to party plus flair bartending gets more money because the people have to request and buy the drink to make the show begin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UhyMmWgx-s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4fdxvp4_eU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KwSqsQ2XoA

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 22, 2009
Maybe the Safehouse is the only bar like it then, but it's a bar specifically designed for a magician. The back of the bar has all of his stuff, and he puts on a show every Sunday - Thursday. People go there just to see him. :)

Maybe Milwaukee is the only place with a bar like this? I just figured there would have been more of them.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Never heard of such a thing. Like Keoke said, if you are a hired bartender at a bar, then that is your job. You are there to serve drinks and maybe when somebody needs something, use that open time for a few effects but if someones comes up and wants a drink right then and there...technically you better stop your effect and get their drink or they will be headed to see your manager.

Sep 1, 2007
Bartender first, magician second.

As one of the greast bar magicians to ever live, Heba Haba Al, would say......

You are there to GTFM!

For those of you not in the know, that means: Get The F*cking Money!

Well allow me to chime in here for a minute since your question revolves around me as a previous bartender. Before I made my money full time in magic I was a flair bartender for TGI Fridays for almost five years I competed every year in bar champs some I won some I lost but maybe I can shed some light on this question either way.

My reputation was the magician bartender. TGI actually had really nice business cards made up at their expense that said Shane Black "Star Magician" I still have them till this very day. My restaurant loved me performing behind the bar since the venue called for it. I performed floating glass, loops. and match book tricks with many other betchas so much that I burnt myself out for a some time. Every patron and I mean EVERY patron that came in that saw my table tent asked me to perform something and I never had an issue with someone waiting for me to pour their drink. I made an effort to balance my services and took my time there as an employee as an opportunity to hone my performing skills and test out new tricks.

If the company allows for entertainment then the more the better plus your chances of finding better bar jobs may arise. I myself loved performing while bartenting and I have no problems with doing it again if the finances put me in that situation. So no it shouldn't be a problem as long as your job as a bartender comes first.

Some pics from back in the day don't tell anyone.lol

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq250/SHANEBLACKMAGIC/barchamp1.jpg
http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq250/SHANEBLACKMAGIC/barchamp2.jpg

That second one always kills me I was dancing to the chipmunks singing La Bamba! I actually took second this year in my region.

Shane:)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Nice pics Shane. I bet those were some fun nights and some that you were just "burnt" and wanted to head home for a nap...ha ha.

Nice pics Shane. I bet those were some fun nights and some that you were just "burnt" and wanted to head home for a nap...ha ha.

Oh I'm telling you man I loved doing what I did plus I can make some mean drinks and shots. Just like any job it can become repetitve but I was able to get payed why doing what I love.......magic, can't ask for more than that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results