Beginner and Intermediate must read tips

Dec 10, 2007
Hey guys I just wanted to give a few tips that i have thought of as I've been practicing. I hope that these will be useful.

Over the last few months I've been wondering what it is that i need to do to in a sense "go pro". Well ive been doing magic for only a year but i practice for about 4 hours a day and i like to think of myself as a decent magician. Well this is what ive come up with and i hope that you guys can put this to good use.

first things first: obviously practice! you have to be willing to put in hours of practice if you want to be a "magician" if you just want to be a "guy that knows tricks" then by all means skip the practice but im sure plenty of you want to be known as magicians and in order to achieve this you have to practice!

Second: Keep practicing! think of the one trick that you can do better than any other one. ok now go back to the tutorial of that trick and the performance of it and look see if you can do it as well of better that that guy. im talking speed smoothness patter all aspects. If yours is not as good or better in all of these aspects then the trick is not ready. I think that you'll find that you have a lot that you could improve on with all of your tricks.

Third: Limit the amount of crap you buy! I did this and I think we all do as beginners... you buy everything that looks cool thinking this will be the trick that will separate you from the rest. Then after you got the DVD you only used maybe 2 tricks from it. take my advice, STOP BUYING CRAP! if you look back at the DVDs you already own you may see that this professional magician uses these tricks in their everyday routine. If that is the case that means that if you MASTER (that is in the sense i mentioned in my second point) each of these you know have a routine as good as a working pro. And after all that routine is what makes him a pro.

Fourth: Limit the tricks you do! When you perform you will only do depending on your venue a few tricks. Maybe one maybe five of six. You most certainly will not be doing all of the tricks you know. Laymen don't care if you know 100 tircks more than the ones you show them, they only care about the ones you show them. So you you limit the tricks you practice and learn you can the master them to the point i mention in point 2. I have met magicians that are working pros that only do at the very most 10 tricks a lot of them only 5 but you know what separates them from you or I? the fact that they can do them better than anyone else. That is why they are pros.

A great example of this is any trick by Dan and Dave Buck. If you learn any of their tricks off of the trilogy you will see that they really arent very difficult to perform. BUT if you want to perform them the way Dan and Dave do it is EXTREMELY hard. If you want to do things as smooth and with all the flashy subtleties that they have it will take you hours upon hours. Now laymen wont remember these things and might not even know what it was that they saw but they will remember how good it was. It just adds that much to the performance. And even though they dont know what they saw they will be amazed at your skill and will know that you really put in serious time into your tricks.

I hope that this helps some people out. Sorry it is so long but i think that there is some important information in here that everyone could use.

I look forward to your feed back and comments.

Victor Cruz

Sep 1, 2007
Want to be different then the rest ? Perform anything else beside overused card-magic and put your "hours of practise" on performance, not on mastering whatever it is you try to master. (I do sense, that your writing is based on card magic)
You should be entertaining, not another sleightmasta08 that tries to fool the spectator and leave them hanging "how did you do that".

Want to be different then the rest ? Perform anything else beside overused card-magic and put your "hours of practise" on performance, not on mastering whatever it is you try to master. (I do sense, that your writing is based on card magic)
You should be entertaining, not another sleightmasta08 that tries to fool the spectator and leave them hanging "how did you do that".

x2. Nicely put Johnny. :)

Oct 6, 2007

That was tight.

Except 'overused card magic', and every single piece of magic can be made amazing with the right presentation.

Sep 1, 2007
There's card magic and then there's card magic; I perform almost exclusively cards and do very well. The point is the performer, not the trick. The performer, not the prop. You have to be entertaining - in a serious dramatic way or in a funny way.

There has to be balance between technical skill coming from hours of practise and performance experience. You have to work on both!

There is nothing wrong with card magic.

Jan 14, 2008
philippines
thanks man you said it right...... you just need to practice to make your tricks real and convincing.... thank you again got alot from it.....

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
Hey guys I just wanted to give a few tips that i have thought of as I've been practicing. I hope that these will be useful.

Over the last few months I've been wondering what it is that i need to do to in a sense "go pro". Well ive been doing magic for only a year but i practice for about 4 hours a day and i like to think of myself as a decent magician. Well this is what ive come up with and i hope that you guys can put this to good use.

first things first: obviously practice! you have to be willing to put in hours of practice if you want to be a "magician" if you just want to be a "guy that knows tricks" then by all means skip the practice but im sure plenty of you want to be known as magicians and in order to achieve this you have to practice!

Second: Keep practicing! think of the one trick that you can do better than any other one. ok now go back to the tutorial of that trick and the performance of it and look see if you can do it as well of better that that guy. im talking speed smoothness patter all aspects. If yours is not as good or better in all of these aspects then the trick is not ready. I think that you'll find that you have a lot that you could improve on with all of your tricks.

Third: Limit the amount of crap you buy! I did this and I think we all do as beginners... you buy everything that looks cool thinking this will be the trick that will separate you from the rest. Then after you got the DVD you only used maybe 2 tricks from it. take my advice, STOP BUYING CRAP! if you look back at the DVDs you already own you may see that this professional magician uses these tricks in their everyday routine. If that is the case that means that if you MASTER (that is in the sense i mentioned in my second point) each of these you know have a routine as good as a working pro. And after all that routine is what makes him a pro.

Fourth: Limit the tricks you do! When you perform you will only do depending on your venue a few tricks. Maybe one maybe five of six. You most certainly will not be doing all of the tricks you know. Laymen don't care if you know 100 tircks more than the ones you show them, they only care about the ones you show them. So you you limit the tricks you practice and learn you can the master them to the point i mention in point 2. I have met magicians that are working pros that only do at the very most 10 tricks a lot of them only 5 but you know what separates them from you or I? the fact that they can do them better than anyone else. That is why they are pros.

A great example of this is any trick by Dan and Dave Buck. If you learn any of their tricks off of the trilogy you will see that they really arent very difficult to perform. BUT if you want to perform them the way Dan and Dave do it is EXTREMELY hard. If you want to do things as smooth and with all the flashy subtleties that they have it will take you hours upon hours. Now laymen wont remember these things and might not even know what it was that they saw but they will remember how good it was. It just adds that much to the performance. And even though they dont know what they saw they will be amazed at your skill and will know that you really put in serious time into your tricks.

I hope that this helps some people out. Sorry it is so long but i think that there is some important information in here that everyone could use.

I look forward to your feed back and comments.

Victor Cruz

Agree with everything above me. Especially the STOP buying crap part.:)

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I agree with everything you said, except I don't think you should be thinking about going pro after doing magic for only a year. I've been performing for over 2 years, and I'm nowhere near ready.

David

Dec 10, 2007
Thanks for the comments

Yes i am talking mostly about card magic. that is what i perform hence the Dan and Dave references. For who ever said the thing about me not thinking about "going pro" yet, when i use the term im speaking in terms of being a working magician not someone like Ricky Jay. I currently am a working magician in the sense that i perform for a magic shop and I've worked in restaurants and I have done walk around at parties. I dont have a lot of Jobs right now though and ive been working on fixing that. But when i see other working magicians doing the same tricks that i use (some not all) and using lines that are corny as hell, i wonder how can i become that guy (in the sense of having all of these bookings) with out being that guy(in the sense of being a corny stereotypical magician) because i feel like that is the tag a lot of us get. people think that we are these corny guys with tricks and no one thinks of us as mystical illusionists anymore. i think that if people take there time an practice to the point that i mentioned and keep performing and keep practicing the whole comunity will benifit from it. I also think that it is important to note that there are a lot of people that perform much to early. not in the sense of age but in the sense that they themselves dont know the trick that well. Its very important to know the trick WELL before you just go performing. If someone catches you doing a slight then the magic is ruined.
And i agree with eveyone that said that you need to spend a lot of your time performing as well. I was planning on going into another post about that but the last one seemed to be getting a little long. Sorry about that. But yes you should Spend a lot of time practicing. you dont need to be able to perform the trick as well as the person you learned it from in order to show it to people. Hell they dont know. But the thing is, when you have all of these tricks and you know how to perform them and your trying to figure out what the next step is to get to the next level, this is what you should do.

Hope this helps to clearify somethings.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results