Beginner Card DVD

Jan 31, 2010
Royal Road to Card Magic with Paul Wilson. Obviously get the book along with it, as the dvd doesn't go through *everything*. Still, with 5 discs you certainly get a lot and it's a good jumping off point.

Jan 31, 2010
Ninja 1 and 2 Ellusionist DVD by Brad Christian

False. Ninja 1 spends an enormous amount of time on Pass variations which is not beginner stuff. Ninja 2 is more advanced and therefore also not at a beginner level.

If you want to go with E, Crash Course 1 isn't too bad. You'll learn about jogs and shuffles, the erdnase color change, and some nice basic tricks. Still, let's do a comparison.

Crash Course 1: $25, and 13 effects/sleights according to E. About 2 bucks/effect or sleight. A poor deal considering much of what's learned (mentioned above) can be found *free* in Expert at the Card Table.

Royal Road to Card Magic - $60 on penguin, 5 discs with well over 5 net hours of instruction covering enough stuff that will keep you occupied for years. I can't even approximate a $/effect ratio because there is so much.

If we go by $/hr, pegging CC 1 at one hour (overestimate) and RRtCM at 5(underestimate)...
CC1 = $25/hr
RRtCM = $12/hr

I've done the math, you just need to make the correct decision.

Jul 14, 2008
False. Ninja 1 spends an enormous amount of time on Pass variations which is not beginner stuff. Ninja 2 is more advanced and therefore also not at a beginner level.

If you want to go with E, Crash Course 1 isn't too bad. You'll learn about jogs and shuffles, the erdnase color change, and some nice basic tricks. Still, let's do a comparison.

Crash Course 1: $25, and 13 effects/sleights according to E. About 2 bucks/effect or sleight. A poor deal considering much of what's learned (mentioned above) can be found *free* in Expert at the Card Table.

I've done the math, you just need to make the correct decision.

Oh, sorry, my mistake. I was thinking the wrong name for this. Thank you for correcting my mistake.

Sep 1, 2007
There is no hard and fast "best" for anything. I got started on Greg Wilson's "Double Take" DVD and it was fantastic as it not only covered many important basics, but also had performance footage in front of a live audience from a real working professional. The tricks covered on the DVD ranged from simple and effective to routines that I still go back and work on to this day.

John Guastaferro's Brainstorm DVDs were a good next step, as he breaks down every sleight in the course of teaching some incredibly good card magic. Then of course there's Card College, but that aint a DVD...

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
If money isn't an issue, check out Roberto Giobbi's Card College DVDs which cover Card College Volumes 1 and 2 (except the pass) in almost 8 hours of video for $125.

I don't have the Royal Road DVDs, but had no trouble learning from the book. If the DVDs are $60 and the book is less than $10, I would get the book first and see what happens.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
royal road to card magic book format.

unless you have some disability that makes reading to understand and apply difficult. in which case i would say the royal road DVDs or Oz Pearlmans born to perform both will do a great job.

go for the book i promise you wont be disappointed. you can take it with you and practice anywhere.

Apr 26, 2010
...i recommend born to perform and then watch the whole volume of daryl's encyclopedia of card sleights vol.1-8.

What is the best beginner card DVD? Not a book but a DVD.

What's wrong with books? And don't say 'I'm a visual learner'...

Anyway, Royal Road to Card Magic DVD should be great if the book is anything to go by. And with R. Paul Wilson as a teacher you can't go wrong. (very nice guy as well)

Don't go for Card College until you are sure that card magic is for you, as it's a pretty big investment. I never understood why people recommend Card College to people just starting out. It's a huge amount to pay for a hobby you may be bored of in a few months...

However, there is 'Card College Light' and 'Card College Lighter' but i've heard very mixed reviews about them.

Anyway, went off on a bit of a tangent then!

Good luck!

Rev

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results