Beginner with a question

Sep 20, 2017
Hi All,

I was recently introduced to performing the art of magic & i've been hooked ever since. I find myself drawn to street and/or parlor tricks being that they are fast and close up. I'm looking into playing with coins as well, but i'm unsure of where to start first.

Looking around & reading online, I see a lot of people recommending Bobo books. From what I've read the Modern Coins Magic Dvds are a more watered down version of the books. For me it's easier to learn by watching the trick performed instead of reading it, would this be a good option?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Hey there @MaryJaneMaxx. Welcome to the forums.

Any genre of magic will be good for starting out, whether it's coins, cards, etc. I suggest that you begin with close up because that can be translated into many other forms of magic.

Definitely start with mostly books first. You can also use DVDs as supplements, but I personally believe that books are not only more bang for your buck (for $20-$30, one book can contain 50 effects whereas a DVD may only teach 10), but by reading, you are exercising your brain, which can help with boosting creativity, which is ESSENTIAL for magic.

Some of the first DVD series I watched was Michael Ammar's "Easy To Master" series. He has different volumes for different genres.

Expert Card Technique and Royal Road to Card Magic are almost considered to be essentials for the beginning card magician. The Bobo coin magic book you mentioned is the same for coin workers.

Another tip: when starting out, try to be as patient as you can. Internalize and digest every sleight and routine that you first learn. If you speed past those, the development of your magic will be hindered.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: MaryJaneMaxx
Jul 26, 2016
@MaryJaneMaxx: "For me it's easier to learn by watching the trick performed instead of reading it, would this be a good option?"

There are those that may disagree because books have worked well for them, but I believe that DVDs are indeed a good option for you. Everyone is different, and people have their own way of learning. Trying to force oneself to use books when that doesn't feel natural is not, in my opinion, a good idea. Magic should be fun and relaxed, and not necessarily a highly technical textbook pursuit - again, in my opinion...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results