Beginners Magic DVD

Apr 20, 2010
I started learning magic and prestidigitation with books and eventually moved on to downloadable videos, but I've recently made friends with a younger boy who wants to try card magic. I taught him two self-working basic tricks, thinking he would be dissuaded with learning and more interested in just doing, but he really enjoyed learning and wasn't at all agitated. He persevered and has gotten those tricks to a point where he can do them well. I pointed him towards Dan and Dave's academy videos for learning basic card handling to look more proficient with cards while I get him some proper material to work with. I gifted him my book copy of Royal Road, and though we went through a few pages of it, I realized that it was hard for him to comprehend instructions from text and few pictures. I guided him few a few basic things, but think that he would benefit far more from a basic magic DVD. I haven't purchased a magic DVD that covers many beginner topics ever. The purchases I make are for more advanced techniques or gimmicked tricks.

I know there is a Royal Road DVD set, but I wanted to ask your guys' opinions on newer products since you are more up to date with these things than I. I'm not looking for moves one might find on Foundations, just some quick tricks that teach essential techniques to a beginner.

I know ellusionist makes specific beginner crash courses, but I've not heard excellent things about them. There don't seem to be beginner DVDs that cover things like Royal Road might on Theory11. The beginner DVDs here seem to be more for flourishing, which I think should be an afterthought after learning, say, a proper DL.

Thanks for reading my rambling thoughts and getting it this far. Please let me know of any good video material is for beginners that you know of. Price isn't really a big deal as long as it's not too bad because I wanted this to be an early Christmas gift for him.

Apr 20, 2010
There are, but all of them are names I don't recognize and prices higher than DVDs I've seen online that match it similarly. Also, most of the products magic stores in my area sell are gimmicks, not that there's anything wrong with that, but he's interested in learning pure sleight magic.

Thanks for the suggestion. I might swing by the two nearest me to see what they can offer. I love supporting brick and mortar stores.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
There are, but all of them are names I don't recognize and prices higher than DVDs I've seen online that match it similarly. Also, most of the products magic stores in my area sell are gimmicks, not that there's anything wrong with that, but he's interested in learning pure sleight magic.

Thanks for the suggestion. I might swing by the two nearest me to see what they can offer. I love supporting brick and mortar stores.

you should definitely check it out,some stores have great things at soft prices.
There's not much you can do for your basics after reading the books.
books like now you see it, now you don't is great at teaching on a visual level. the drawings are super easy to follow.
The trilogy by dan and dave teaches great beginner sleights in the everything else section.

Sep 30, 2011
Tampa,Florida
Hey There,
I would reccomend you look into downloads here and i would check out master file it's kind of pricey but you get alot out of it, there is some thing for every skill level, begginer, intermediate, and advanced
hope it helped!

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Born to Perform by Oz Pearlman is really good. It talks about DLs, controls, Elmsley Count, and even throws in some good tricks, namely ACR, biddle, ultimate transpo, and 2 card monte. I loved it when I got mine.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Joshua Jays card book is great too. It comes with a DVD and I think you can get it at Barnes and Noble. I think it's called "The Amazing Book of Cards"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results