Best Comedy Stand-up Effect?

Dec 31, 2007
Massachusetts
What is the best comedy stand up effect I can perform in front of maybe 13 people about 4 feet away from them?

I want it to be easy

Under $50

Funny

Totally clean after with no one saying "hey let me see that!"

Thx ^_^
Brian

Sep 1, 2007
Bill Malone's Invisible Deck Presentation could be what you're looking for. 13 people isn't a lot though - any in the hands close up magic will work. David Stone has some excellent effects out there - I'm a big fan of "Ringbox" which is on Real Secrets vol 2.

EDIT - ringbox isn't a comedy effect, but maybe you could spin it that way. Rope/ring routines can often be funny - check out David Williamson's routine on Dave 2. I put this together with some ideas from David Stone's routine on Real Secrets vol 2 and use it regularly under the kind of conditions you're interested in.

Dec 14, 2007
There is no such thing as a "stand up comedy trick." A great comedian is what makes something funny. Look at the material in Mac King's, Larry Wilson's, or Michael Finney's act - there is nothing inherently funny about any of it. THEY make it funny.

Now, there are some tricks that come with a pre-written script that most people find easy to deliver and get laughs. If you are working for your friends, it's great. But if you are trying to work a comedy club, stay away from it. Tons of magicians have gone into comedy clubs with their "comedy magic." They all look like cookie cutters and comics have ZERO respect for them (comics tend to show no respect to magicians at all, unless you prove yourself to them.)

But, in an effort to be helpful, if you are old enough to pull it off, a lot of magicians love "Stan, Kate and Edith" available from Doc Eason. It's so overdone that it is almost "hack" these days, but with the right crowd you will still pull laughs from it.

If you want a real lesson in comedy, but the three volume Michael Finney DVDs from LandL. Don't steal his material. Just watch and learn.

Finally, there are many factors which influence comedy. A small group is harder to pull laughs from especially depending on the size of the room and its lighting. Good luck,

Brad Henderson

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results