Best DVDs and Books for beginner cardistry

Jul 17, 2011
I as well am just getting into it, and this is what I have heard:
There are a lot of DVD's (and a couple books) out there. I will discuss the ones I have been given advice about:
DVD's:
The Trology (Disc 2, Flourishes) (Also DanandDave)
Genesis v1 (Andrei Jikh)
Genesis v2 (Also Andrei Jikh)
Motion (from Dangerous) (Dan Madison)

Books:
Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes

Genesis v1:
Just came in the mail today!!! :D I've heard nothing but "You'll love it" and "its a great place to start". I haven't heard anything bad at all, and I've heard Andrei is a great teacher.
Beginner level. Introduction to cardistry. Good foundation.

Genesis v2:
I plan on getting this next. I've heard "its a great follow up to Genesis v1" and "Its a bit more advanced than Genesis v1".
Beginner to Intermediate level. More structure in cardistry (after all, the DVD's subtitle is "Structure")

Motion:
I think this will be the third one I pick up. I've heard its a good DVD to get more into intermediate cardistry. And I've heard that Dan Madison is also an excellent teacher.
Intermediate level. Continuation in cardistry.

The Trilogy (Disc 2)
I've heard this goes from Intermediate to advanced. The flourishes taught are not for the faint of heart, and they challenging, but overall satisfying when you learn them. I've heard that Dan and Dave are good teachers, but I haven't heard a whole lot of praise for their teaching style.
Intermediate to Advanced level. A good DVD to further advance your skills.

Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes.
I've heard its a "must own" for anyone who's serious about cardistry.
Dunno what level it is, but it probably ranges from beginner to advanced.

Some others I've heard of, but haven't heard any input on:
Genesis v3 (though it isn't out yet.)
The System
Xtreme Beginners
Xtreme Beginners 2
Showoff with Cards
XCM World Championships
Generation Extreme

Hope this helps. Keep in mind, I do not currently own, nor have I seen any of these DVD's, so do research for yourself, and choose what you think is best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Snarburger

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
Hey starthelegend,

There are obviously many places to begin your journey. The most comprehensive collection of moves is in the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes by Jerry Cestkowski and a MUST have. The book is ridiculously huge and will keep you busy for many years to come - it's a great place to learn foundational techniques and expand; however, it is not the greatest place to start.

Genesis v1 was a project that I've personally poured my heart and soul into making. My goal was to make Genesis for DVDs what the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes is to books - an all level/technique encompassing resource. At nearly 4 hours in length, it has fundamental techniques as well as my original creations. If you decide to get crazy, Genesis v2 expands on the techniques learned in the previous volume and introduces new knuckle busting moves. In addition to learning moves, Genesis introduces concepts which are little challenges that help you create and get the juices flowing. Lastly, the Genesis series have invaluable tips scattered throughout the DVDs with regards to performing, angles, and other neat tidbits.

If that's not enough, Motion by Daniel Madison is another great resource to learn some killer moves that will leave your audience awestruck. The Trilogy by Dan and Dave is another great resource to expand your knowledge and neither will disappoint - both amazing DVDs. Let me know if you have any other questions,

Reactions: Snarburger
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results