Best Pass

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Too many people do the riffle pass because the riffle covers an inadequate pass. They can almost do the classic well enough - so just in case, they perform the riffle, which is obviously a flawed way of thinking. I think that in order to perform the riffle pass correctly, one must first have an undetectable classic pass - the riffle is used as an added layer of subterfuge to an already secret move, not to cover an imperfect one.

Apr 28, 2008
Too many people do the riffle pass because the riffle covers an inadequate pass. They can almost do the classic well enough - so just in case, they perform the riffle, which is obviously a flawed way of thinking. I think that in order to perform the riffle pass correctly, one must first have an undetectable classic pass - the riffle is used as an added layer of subterfuge to an already secret move, not to cover an imperfect one.

I agree with this, the Riffle pass shouldn't be used as an alternative to learning the Classic pass properly.

I only ever use the Riffle pass as a colour change or a vanish, there's no way to justify the action of riffling when doing it as a control. When i'm using the pass as a control I use either the Classic pass or the Spread pass.

I'm personally learning a top card cover pass at the minute... it's hellish!

I'm also working on the top card cover pass, I thought I was doing fairly well with it until I watched this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFZlPu4o4h0

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I agree with this, the Riffle pass shouldn't be used as an alternative to learning the Classic pass properly.

I only ever use the Riffle pass as a colour change or a vanish, there's no way to justify the action of riffling when doing it as a control. When i'm using the pass as a control I use either the Classic pass or the Spread pass.

I'm also working on the top card cover pass, I thought I was doing fairly well with it until I watched this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFZlPu4o4h0

Before I knew the riffle subterfuge, I used to call it a 'toy pass' as it occurs while apparently 'toying' with the deck. The riffle is justified by the fact that you are merely casually toying with the cards as you talk or explain the premise of te effect. Like I said, it's a very effective subterfuge. I love to use the riffle pass as a colour change/vanish too, it's excellent.

That cover pass... Damn you...

CL

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
The 26 Shift......................just kidding

I would say the most awesome pass is the Outjogged Hermann shift by arron fisher. It's not as hard as other passes and it has the most natural misdirection i've ever seen. You can also use Lepaul's Invisible Turnover Pass which was my main one before the outjogged herman shift.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
Frankly, there is no "best pass". It's a matter of preference. The performer is the one who executes the move and makes it the "best". My advice is to pick one or two favorites and practice them exclusively. Remember, no one remembers the man who can do everything good, but the will bow to the man who can do one thing great.

Mar 8, 2008
New Hampshire
I can do the Classic Pass well and love it but can't do the riffle for some reason.
On topic now I would learn the classic pass first then learn other passes from that. After all, it is the classic pass

Oct 3, 2007
germany
Personally, I find the classic passes far more difficult to execute invisibly than herman style passes. This is of course, a matter of preference. I would recommend trying both the classic pass and standard herman pass; see which one fits you more then perfect it and learn the various covering actions.

(oh yeah, and for those of you who MAY be thinking that classic style passes are better for color changes / vanishes... watch Chad Nelson's spread pass over at dan and dave's... sure he's inhuman but still :p)

morpheis91

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2007
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Well passes are a matter of preference. But if you want least undetectable with less effort and more consistency go with a dribble or riffle or even classic. With any type of misdirection Completely surrounded one can get away with this. I use a classic pass mostly all the time when controlling a card to the top or into a cop or whatever needbe. But in all reality a double under-cut is just as good and with a time lapse people won't even remember that you even cut the cards. Sometimes just for self pleasure when I am controlling a card to the top i just use a little bit of misdirection and simply place the card on top. I do this quite often actually and Guess what??????? To a spectator all of these methods for controlling a card to the top should play EXACTLY the same!!!!!!!!!

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Is the cover pass published in any book?

I basically came up with my own handling of a cover pass. Its probably not the handling most people use but it achieves the same effect.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results