Best Tricks for Large Crowds

Nov 21, 2022
Hey Everyone! What effects would you guys recommend when performing for large audiences where the people in the back can’t always see what’s happening with a deck of cards. I’m not talking the size of a theater, but more like a pavilion. I’ve pulled it off before but it’s always a slight struggle to adjust a routine so that everyone can watch and enjoy it. I would love some tricks that work with this scenario as well as suggestions and tips! Thanks!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Without knowing you, your style, or your stage persona, it's impossible to give specific recommendations that would be good for you. Anything I'd recommend would be things that I do or enjoy, and may not suit you at all.

However, I can give some general recommendations.

The most basic advice is this: Use bigger props, or tricks that don't rely on seeing small details. Also, bring the sight line up to your chest/face instead of down on a table.

Playing cards aren't great at any real distance if the audience has to identify the value of the card. However, a trick like Cards Across doesn't rely on the value of any particular card being known so that can work for very large crowds (See Mac King's Cloak of Invisibility routine for an example).

The idea is to think about the routines you want to perform as if you're at the back of the audience instead of the front row.

Reactions: JoshL8
Nov 21, 2022
Ok! I might try cards across. If you an other specific tricks fit for this I’d love to here them.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Roberto Giobbi had a book on stand up card tricks and Guy Hollingsworth's Drawing Room Deceptions was a reworking of card tricks for parlor.

My suggestion is card tricks that don't rely on the audience seeing the cards. For card tricks: Cards Across (as you mentioned), Eric Ross's Election, Jay Sankey's Carbon Paper, any Torn and Restored (I like Counterfeit).

For non card tricks, look at Jim Steinmeyer's Conjuring column in Genii (there is a fun card trick in there too using blank decks).

You can always go with the classics - Linking Rings, Egg Bag, Cups & Balls, Zombie Ball. You can also do silk magic like 20th Century Silks.

Find books on parlor magic like Parlor Magic (yea, sort of obvious), Darkest Corners and even Tarbell or Mark Wilson.

Reactions: Tyce W.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results