Best Wedding Effect Ever

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
So I'm looking at doing more weddings, and I would love any suggestions of effects that would play well for a stand up show at a wedding that you feel comfortable sharing.

Preferably, the effect would use both the husband and wife in some way; and the effect would ideally minimize me and bring all attention to them.

What have you seen or done that has been effective?

I've been looking for some sort of effect where the husband 'reads' his wife's mind or something. So I've been playing with an instant stooge type of effect (playing form the idea in Emotional Intelligence). However still trying to build a strong context for it.

But really open to anything!

Thanks for sharing any advice tips or ideas!

edit:
Here is an idea I've been playing with. I'd love some input if you like the direction: http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?30390-Best-Wedding-Effect-Ever&p=338185#post338185

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
Something simple i've done with couples lately is to peek a card that was written down by the girl and have the guy flip over a card in a deck behind his back. Then reveal that they both match. Showing a unique connection that they have with each other.

I'd say you definitely need something bigger for a wedding but that's a great standup effect for casual show.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Make the woman's wedding ring disappear. Haha that would be hilarious, but not what you are looking for

On a serious note, Maybe you could do something like Daniel Garcia's Hair effect with loops. The audience sees that you clearly only touch one of them, but the other one claims and swears that they felt the touch also.

Sep 16, 2007
Raalte
youtube.com
So I'm looking at doing more weddings, and I would love any suggestions of effects that would play well for a stand up show at a wedding that you feel comfortable sharing.

Preferably, the effect would use both the husband and wife in some way; and the effect would ideally minimize me and bring all attention to them.

What have you seen or done that has been effective?

I've been looking for some sort of effect where the husband 'reads' his wife's mind or something. So I've been playing with an instant stooge type of effect (playing form the idea in Emotional Intelligence). However still trying to build a strong context for it.

But really open to anything!

Thanks for sharing any advice tips or ideas!

The first thing i thought while reading this was:

- Hair, from the Loops DVD (Daniel Garcia DVD)
where you can really have them feel in contact without really knowing, wonderfull for the audience as well

- True love by Oz Pearlman,
Where two spectators, in this case the man and woman who are getting married each pick a random card and these get signed, and at the end there stuck together.

I would check these effects out at Youtube if you don't know these.

Hope this helps,

Mathijs

hey man alvo stockman has a funny effect where you have a card and one person reads love and the other reads sex, so that would be pretty funny.
cant remember what it is called tho.
i wouldnt recomend an effect with the ring as a main thing, cause im sure the woman wants to wear her ring on the wedding day.
if anything use the mans ring, you can get that joke in about how easy it was to get him to take it off.
but yea. thats all i can think of

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
there isn't a best wedding effect ever. Anything can be the best effect ever, it all really boils down to how smart and entertaining the performer is. But the one that most people tend to stick with when doing weddings or something for the couple is the old classic Anniversary Waltz

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
there isn't a best wedding effect ever. Anything can be the best effect ever, it all really boils down to how smart and entertaining the performer is. But the one that most people tend to stick with when doing weddings or something for the couple is the old classic Anniversary Waltz

For sure that is true. However, what I'm looking for is an effect that has a nice wedding presentation, or can be adapted as such. I want to make a great wedding effect & presentation.

If I have time later, I will run some more of my ideas past you all for some feedback.

(I love that loops/pk idea)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Anniversary Waltz is probably one of your best bets and there are so many variations of it. I use Josh Jay's Waltzing Cheek to Cheek and it resets for strolling if you needed to hit up other tables later. This would be more of an effect just for them and some near bystanders but would not be seen very well in huge ball room.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
For sure that is true. However, what I'm looking for is an effect that has a nice wedding presentation, or can be adapted as such. I want to make a great wedding effect & presentation.

If I have time later, I will run some more of my ideas past you all for some feedback.

(I love that loops/pk idea)

Again if you are smart enough, you can come up with a good wedding themes presentation pretty quickly. All it takes is some though and effort. You clients aren't going to care if you do a ACR or whatever, they pay more attention to the bigger picture, than to the method or how "new" the effect is.

another good effect would be Gypsy Thread.

Sep 12, 2007
Normandy, FRANCE
I suggest "Close contact" by Jay Sankey (Front Row Sankey) or "Do as I think" by Peter Harrison (Magic in the Real World), which are basically the same effect (very strong closing effect) : one spectator shuffles the deck, cuts to a card and remembers it. The deck is passed to another spectator who takes one random card out of the deck : it's the exact same card !

The good thing here is that it proves a very strong connection between husband and wife, and they basically do all the work as you don't ever touch the deck from beginning to the end of the trick, so if you want the focus to be on them that may be what you're looking for ^^

Hope this helps !

Sep 12, 2007
Normandy, FRANCE
if it's cards... you may want to check out ''the trick that cannot be explained'' by dai vernon.

Yeah, I'm not sure about this one...It's more like a casual, laid-back trick you do seemingly on the off beat in my opinion... I wouldn't want to close with this, especialy on a paid gig where you want to have control on what is happening...but I might be wrong !

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I'm going to completely throw you a curve ball but imagine if you could do this:

A signed Card appears in the Wedding Ice Sculpture....ha ha. Now that is thinking outside the box.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
if it's cards... you may want to check out ''the trick that cannot be explained'' by dai vernon.

Yeah that kind of effect doesn't suit something like a wedding, and is more suited for something like hanging out with friends or whatever. Doc Easons effect is pretty much perfect for a wedding.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I'm going to completely throw you a curve ball but imagine if you could do this:

A signed Card appears in the Wedding Ice Sculpture....ha ha. Now that is thinking outside the box.

While amazing, they might see the card prior to the trick...maybe hide it in their first bite of cake.

If I remember correctly Jon Allen has his wedding effect in his book. I think you can read about it in the free preview at Vanishing Inc...but picking the book up is worth the money according to everyone who's said anything about it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results