Best Wedding Effect Ever

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Okay, so after brainstorming some ideas for something that uses the couple, and can be done from the stage, and what I have on hand, I've come up with an idea, and I would love your input on ways to make it a strong piece of magic. Perhaps this can be an experiment in collaboration, and feel free to use any of it.

So the bride and groom come up, I haven't thought through patter much yet, but essentially they each select a card, and they are told that they have to find each others card by reading each other's minds (or whatever). (Unknowingly they choose the same card, say- 2 of Hearts)

I show a piece of tissue paper and introduce a candle and matches. They each light a match, blow it out, and touch it to the tissue. Their card burns into the tissue.

Here is a video of it (Unlisted): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpHS_DBPS7k

So after watching it here are my thoughts so far (Please add yours to the video or this thread):

1. My wife suggested having the tissue on a scroll like thing makes it seem too gimmicky. She suggested presenting them with a present (Gift bag with tissue and a wedding type candle which we then use for the effect)
2. Patter is what will make something like this work well. I’m on the fence about how cheesy or comical to be with an effect like this.
3. Should they at any point say their card out loud so that the audience realized they picked the same card?
4. What should be said (if anything) while the paper burns? (Note that I made that one quickly and one side stopped burning, but both should finish at the same time)
5. Other thoughts?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Too much work and you're neglecting the fact that there is booze at weddings, lots of it. When people drink, their attention span becomes like a fruit fly. You HAVE to make what you do extremely easy to understand and extremely easy for them to do. Which is why Doc Easons effect is perfect for it.

It doesn't take too much time to do, it's not confusing and it you can use the sappy dialogue of them finding each other and becoming mates. It will also leave them with something to remember YOU by, just in case they might want to recommend you to somebody else later on.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Thanks Randy. I'm curious how this effect would be more confusing or less simple than Doc's (which I have ordered)? What part seems complex? What is the best way to simplify it?

I will have to play with Doc's effect to see if it can be adapted for a full audience from the stage. Anyone ever try this with larger cards?

I'm interested in more thoughts from the rest on how to make the Fuse effect stronger.

Nov 8, 2007
Check out Garrett Thomas's handling of Anniversary Waltz. It is far and away the best version of the effect I have ever seen both in handling and presentation. Garrett turns it into a whole routine really. It's beautiful. That's the only way I perform it.

Also, Twilight Angels by Paul Harris, where the two angels on the card come together.

I've had some opportunities to perform those effects for people on very special occasions in their lives and they always end up coming back later down the road and telling me how special the effect was and how they keep the card in a special place.

Can't go wrong with those two effects.

Jun 10, 2010
Thanks again for that. I did pick this up, and am looking through to see how much of it can be used in front of two hundred people.

I'm looking for more stand up magic as well as feedback on the fuse idea.

Not much, although all of it can be done in front of around 20-25 people at a large dinner table for a reception after the wedding - Sorry, I'm more of a close-up guy.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results